Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #191  
OK heres a few pics of the lighter material , i hav,nt got the pics of the taller stuff yet but you will have an idea . I had the mini excavator and rake pulling the stuff out around the rocks before i traded it in on the new 23tonner which is now working on the same place . Have a look at the before and after shots from his rock ledge and towards his rock ledge , as you will see from the landmarks these shots are taken from the same places . You may need to turn your monitor upside down to view them :D

/ Let's talk flail mowers #192  
Yeah I saw a $900 rotor for the unit on Agrisupply or another site, but i was hoping to find someone with a much better price ro just go with the stcok stuff and see how it works out.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #193  
This is a shot of that same rock face , remember that my little excavator is exactly the same height as my TL100A tractor and keep in mind this is not the worst area . You can imagine how hopeless he felt standing there with his knapsack sprayer and this daunting "Trifid" laughing at him , it's not laughing now . I told him his place made Cambodia look like a walk in the park .

/ Let's talk flail mowers #194  
bucmeister said:
All this discussion about the different rotor types has me confused. Guess I missed that portion of the discussion. What are the different rotors for, which is best for what?
If you take a look back on the thread during the Caroni discussion, there were two type of Caroni flails discussed, one that is good for finish mowing and one that is good for brush/field mowing. You can switch rotors and teeth to get the other cut if you can afford to have a second rotor. If I can find one for under 500 bucks, I might do it. Or just see what the stock cut buys me.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #195  
Nuru said:
Island, I have some slopes, now i don't mow horizontal on a steep incline:eek:, but i am using a MMM now, should i have any conerns with regards to the front end? I was thinking as long as I don't do something silly, like lify it while mowing on an inclie, i should be fine, as the caroni seems like it would help with stability where I have to mow horizontally on an incline for a short run.

I don't see how a flail would be any different than a finish mower on slopes. The weight is low just like on a finish mower or bush hog. I have one area with a slope of 15-17 degrees and when mowing it with the caroni and dk40se I go slow but it feels about the same as when I used a bush hog with my ck20. I am not sure what you mean by having concerns regarding the front end. I leave my FEL attached all the time so I've never mowed without it but the Caroni is not so heavy that you'd really need an FEL for counterbalance I don't think. Besides, with at least some (?most of the weight) on the rear roller only the lightest tractors might have any need to consider the effect of the weight on the 3PT.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #196  
Nuru said:
Yeah I saw a $900 rotor for the unit on Agrisupply or another site, but i was hoping to find someone with a much better price ro just go with the stcok stuff and see how it works out.

I would strongly suggest just going with the TM1900B and seeing how the cut works for you. Unless you are mowing golf greens I think you'll find that the cut is fine. If you want a fine cut just go more slowly or run the engine at true PTO speed (I almost never mow with RPMs above 2100 or so which is 20% less than standard PTO speed).

These mowers may have the parts available to change blades but they really are not made to be quick and easy switches. I'm aware that some people have talked about using different types of knives and hammers on their mowers but I believe that is actually not how most flails are used.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #197  
IslandTractor said:
I don't see how a flail would be any different than a finish mower on slopes. The weight is low just like on a finish mower or bush hog. I have one area with a slope of 15-17 degrees and when mowing it with the caroni and dk40se I go slow but it feels about the same as when I used a bush hog with my ck20. I am not sure what you mean by having concerns regarding the front end. I leave my FEL attached all the time so I've never mowed without it but the Caroni is not so heavy that you'd really need an FEL for counterbalance I don't think. Besides, with at least some (?most of the weight) on the rear roller only the lightest tractors might have any need to consider the effect of the weight on the 3PT.

Thanks for the input, and yep you probably are correct that I am probably being a little more worried than I should about this.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #198  
IslandTractor said:
I would strongly suggest just going with the TM1900B and seeing how the cut works for you. Unless you are mowing golf greens I think you'll find that the cut is fine. If you want a fine cut just go more slowly or run the engine at true PTO speed (I almost never mow with RPMs above 2100 or so which is 20% less than standard PTO speed).

These mowers may have the parts available to change blades but they really are not made to be quick and easy switches. I'm aware that some people have talked about using different types of knives and hammers on their mowers but I believe that is actually not how most flails are used.

Island, that is really the current primary plan. I am hoping that it does work as everyone is saying and yes, I do not have a golfing green level of lawn.:eek:

/ Let's talk flail mowers #199  
My Power Trac 1850 is rated for 45 degree slope with the 90" bush hog but only 40 degrees with the 96" flail mower.

Ken

/ Let's talk flail mowers #200  
Can you elaborate on why the difference? Is it because the flail mower is taller and stocky?