Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,792  
So far it's done a great job
It has been painted dark grey but I believe the original color was grey
I've seen posts about Alamo I was curious if that was the make
IMG_8704.JPGIMG_8703.JPG

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,794  
Ok. So it's official now. I took delivery of the Landpride FM4188 today in the rain. No idea when I'll get to use it. Rain today and tomorrow. Flooding this morning from all the rain last night. We had 7.5" of rain from 10:45pm until 6am overnight last night!!!
It's an awesome looking machine! I can't wait to use it!!!
image.jpeg

Edited to add: yes I always run with the ROPS up and in place. But I have to lower it to get into the barn.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,795  
I'm envious of the barn:thumbsup:

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,796  
(Mower Heaven)

Ok. So it's official now. I took delivery of the Landpride FM4188 today in the rain. No idea when I'll get to use it. Rain today and tomorrow. Flooding this morning from all the rain last night. We had 7.5" of rain from 10:45pm until 6am overnight last night!!!
It's an awesome looking machine! I can't wait to use it!!!
View attachment 485602
======================================================================

Hello Docsfarm,

We had lots of rain on my mountain too.

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the Flail Mower Nation.

Before you take the flail mower out to manage your mowing chores.

Remove each of the spring hairpins and cutter bars so they will not vibrate loose on you and fall off.
I am not trying to make more work for you but another member lost a number of his re cutting bars while mowing heavy brush rather than removing them and not running with an open trash ejection door.

You can simply remove them after you open the trash door to lift them out
after you remove the spring hairpin.

You can always put them back to recut more brush later; but as wet as it is you will not
need them for the last few mowings. Be sure to remove the V Belts when you are done
mowing for the season and put them in a black plastic garbage bag to reduce their
exposure to the ozone in the air that will destroy them over time. just tie the bag to the
three point hitch mount on the mower and it wont grow legs.

Edited to add: yes I always run with the ROPS up and in place. But I have to lower it to get into the barn.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,797  
I'm envious of the barn:thumbsup:
It sure is a nice place to store equipment and such out of the weather. I should take a picture of the wooden silo! It's in amazingly good condition!

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,798  
I think I broke the belt on my flail last night haven't had a chance to look PTO is spinning but the flails aren't spinning anyone tell me how to change the belt and figure out the size it's a used machine it has H15- 1 hr or nr on the side
IMG_8669.JPG
IMG_8672.JPG

/ Let's talk flail mowers #3,799  
I think I broke the belt on my flail last night haven't had a chance to look PTO is spinning but the flails aren't spinning anyone tell me how to change the belt and figure out the size it's a used machine it has H15- 1 hr or nr on the side
View attachment 485723
View attachment 485724

================================================

OK here we go;

that hand painted number is a lot number not a machine model number. As I said I think you have a JD 25A model flail mower with scoop knives and it needs new scoop knives.

The left side is where the V belts are located

The heavy sheet metal cover on the left side must be removed to access the belts andsgrease fittings

1. remove cover

2. set bolts aside on a magnet or a bucket for parts

3. The V belt guard cover will have huge amounts of rubber and grass dust and grease on it, clean it and remove the dust and grease with a scraper and some hand cleaner if you have it.

4. the belt tensioner on that JD unit is a spring tensioned snubber pulley if I remember correctly.
a. the snubber pulley may have grease fitting the spring tensioner arm will have a grease fitting on it and it must take grease.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be sure to dig out the grease fittings that may be buried under rubber dust and grass dust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW the V belt will be easy to replace so thats not an issue

You need to invest in The Kevlar V Belts as they are much more shock resistant than regular belts.

You can take the V belts to a NAPA, TSC, Menards, Farm and Fleet or a KAMAN Industrial supply to get new ones.

THE FOLLOWING IS VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when you purchase the New V belts they must have the same lot number the lot number indicates that they were woven on the same day with the same batch of kevlar thread and rubber for the mold.

More to come in a minute or two

OK NOW

When you remove the belts you can take them the parts store and get new ones.

If you cannot read the numbers that were melted into the carcass of the belt when it was woven on the day it was assembled you can have the clerk measure the old V belt with a V belt measuring ruler and get the exact Kevlar V belt to replace the old ones that broke.

The new belts must have the same lot number as the lot number indicate thread spool number of the Kevlar or Nylon thread that was used to construct the V belts if my memory is correct.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #3,800  
I'm not sure that's a 25a, it looks nothing like mine. My 25a has a much more rounded hood, see the pic below.

Kimeran's looks like the Ford 917 that Steave posted earlier.

Here's mine:

Attachments

• image-479671483.jpg
    image-479671483.jpg
    672 KB · Views: 126