Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,041  
innrkid
You have plenty of HP and tractor weight. You could check your tire width to be sure the unit will get as far as you need to the side to cut your edges. You may need to drive on the ditch bank to do so. With your HP you should be able to run the WoodMaxx ™ FM-88H. From what I know you have chosen wisely. I believe a hammer blade will do what you want, but others here like Leonz can advise better than I.

An alternative if needed. is to get a swing arm unit to reach further to the side, Source - http://www.maschio.com/catalog/category/trincia/en_US . I have a Giraffetta 160SE with my Bobcat CT235, It is at the upper limit of my tractors capability, but I have no issues running it - just need to go slow. The Giraffa series would work for you as well as others if you do not need the swing arm. Here again you need to be sure the pivot point clears the outside of your tire.

Hope this helps

BTW Iowa Farm Equipment is a source with good pricing, but you may have others close to you through you agg dealers.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,042  
innrkid
You have plenty of HP and tractor weight. You could check your tire width to be sure the unit will get as far as you need to the side to cut your edges. You may need to drive on the ditch bank to do so. With your HP you should be able to run the WoodMaxx ™ FM-88H. From what I know you have chosen wisely. I believe a hammer blade will do what you want, but others here like Leonz can advise better than I.

An alternative if needed. is to get a swing arm unit to reach further to the side, Source - http://www.maschio.com/catalog/category/trincia/en_US . I have a Giraffetta 160SE with my Bobcat CT235, It is at the upper limit of my tractors capability, but I have no issues running it - just need to go slow. The Giraffa series would work for you as well as others if you do not need the swing arm. Here again you need to be sure the pivot point clears the outside of your tire.

Hope this helps

BTW Iowa Farm Equipment is a source with good pricing, but you may have others close to you through you agg dealers.

I saw your earlier post and investigated the Maschio. Dang it! I thought I was close to deciding until I saw that. Very impressed with the video of the operator taking out rotted stumps and sizable limbs. I could see a need for both on my place.
One thing I am noting on the Woodmax is the Fm 88 and the FM 88H. I am assuming H stands for Hydro although I'm still not clear on the value. More research and the I am diving deeper on Maschio...and Caroni.
Thanks for the detailed response and shared insight.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,043  
I saw your earlier post and investigated the Maschio. Dang it! I thought I was close to deciding until I saw that. Very impressed with the video of the operator taking out rotted stumps and sizable limbs. I could see a need for both on my place.
One thing I am noting on the Woodmax is the Fm 88 and the FM 88H. I am assuming H stands for Hydro although I'm still not clear on the value. More research and the I am diving deeper on Maschio...and Caroni.
Thanks for the detailed response and shared insight.
The H model is the one that can offset. Otherwise its position is fixed. The offset is run hydraulically.
BTW how many rear remotes did you get on your new tractor. You should get as many as is offered, but at least two.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,044  
The H model is the one that can offset. Otherwise its position is fixed. The offset is run hydraulically.
BTW how many rear remotes did you get on your new tractor. You should get as many as is offered, but at least two.
I initially specified one and moved to two.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,047  
We had a break in the weather so I got a chance to weigh my Bush Hog/Ford new Holland flail mower, it weighed 860 lbs. I was told the belt adjustment should be between 3/8" to 1/2" deflection on the belt, does that sound correct. This is a single double belt and has no spring on the adjustment only a tension rod, You guys said that the belt slipping is what protects your PTO and since I'm trying to use such a big flail on a smaller tractor with only 24 PTO hp should I keep the belt adjustment at 1/2" or more to compensate for the smaller PTO and allow for easier slippage to protect the PTO.

IMG_1188.JPGIMG_1192.JPG

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,048  
I kept mine tight on my L3200 (25 PTO HP). Never had a problem including the time I mowed my well head. It ended poorly for my well head & to a lesser segree my rotor. The mounting bracket on the rotor was a little bent, but continues to be serviceable and no worse than some of the other rotor dings on there. Its not the smoothest running implement (even after new rotor bearings a year or so later), but i paid $100 for it & now have about $700 into it total. Had to replace a couple knives & clevis especially in addition to the cap on the well.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,049  
My tractor is not delivered yet and it is a dealer installed option. I can still add....

Well lets put it this way. Bobcat only offered two remotes. With my Maschio swing arm mower I need two sets, which means I cant use my hydraulic top link - (best thing I added yet). So I actually need 3 sets. If I get the rear blade I want it requires 3 sets of remotes (3 way axis), so if I want my top link too I need 4 sets. Brian has a neat valve package that can do that with a push button handle to activate the other remotes. Just need to save up and find room.

Right now is probably the best time to add depending on what you plan to run in the future. If they offer a quad set up I would get it now. help in resale later too.