Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,401  
Thanks for the replies! The New Holland 918H I sold last Fall had an access door on the back side, but I never opened it except to service the blades. Don't know that it was even made to open during use, the manual didn't mention that mode that I remember. I mowed some 4-5' high Johnson grass with it on several occasions without problems with the TC45D. I would like the option to be able to mulch on a second pass though. Since my farm ground is all leased out I doubt that I'll be mowing any corn stalks or the like. The dealer is going to get pricing for some brands other than Landpride, but hasn't replied yet. Doubt that I'll be able to inspect the mowers ahead of ordering as none of the dealers near here stock any. Vic

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,402  
Dealer called this morning with pricing on a Sovema FM-2 80" flail mower. Wow! $8300! Not sure why this unit is priced so much higher than others. From the diagrams I was able to pull up on the internet, it appears to have a "trash door", but for that price I'll pass. I'm finding a lot of mis-information coming from the dealers, probably as a result of lack of experience with flails. Guess I'll have to rely on the manufacturer's internet info and feedback for TBN. Thanks, Vic

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,403  
Dealers are not used to selling flail mowers to consumers in the USA. Their market has been highway departments and businesses. Some of the US made flails are also pretty heavy duty compared to European flails. I'd say that currently the standard for consumer grade "medium duty" flails are the Italian mowers. The Chinese seem to be doing a good job of copying the Italians so their share of the market will certainly increase. US made flails are just too pricey for any homeowner or someone who is not billing for use of the implement.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,404  
This thread has an amazing amount of information about all things flail (mowers). Took some time to work through all the pages but it was worth the effort.
I don't own a flail mower yet, but it's on the radar. Naturally, I have questions. Do Caroni machines have a warranty? And, what size fm for my Kubota L3710 with R4's (loaded rears)? FM will be used in place of an aging garden tractor on lawns around the house, and for keeping the alders and other brush at bay uptacamp.
This is my first post, hope I'm doing it right.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,405  
This thread has an amazing amount of information about all things flail (mowers). Took some time to work through all the pages but it was worth the effort.
I don't own a flail mower yet, but it's on the radar. Naturally, I have questions. Do Caroni machines have a warranty? And, what size fm for my Kubota L3710 with R4's (loaded rears)? FM will be used in place of an aging garden tractor on lawns around the house, and for keeping the alders and other brush at bay uptacamp.
This is my first post, hope I'm doing it right.

There must be a warranty but frankly I don't recall anyone on TBN ever using it. The most common failure is the factory belts. $20 or so for a new set of Gates Kevlar belts fixes that.

The L3710 would use the Caroni TM1900. It will run it with power to spare.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,407  
I been tryig to find a happy place with my Caroni flail. With the standard JB top link the upper mast of the mower was canted forward ~10-20deg. A couple of days ago I bought an XL top link at the tractor store ($39). Here's what it looks like now...

Flail_angle.jpg

Background: My front pasture is ~5ac and 'fairly' flat with no rocks, stumps or other obsticles. I had been cutting it with a 5' brutish bush hog or 72" finish mower by Bush Hog. It gets too thick and too long for the finish mower and the old bush hog simply clubbed stuff to death and made massive wadds of dense matting that nothing grew thru. It appeared I needed to either bail or burn this at the end of the summer - neither was attractive. I sold these mowers; they paid half the flail's bill.

I'm still struggling to find the perfect combination.... With the mower front-to-back level I felt I was getting an imperfect cut because if I raised the mower for ground clearance it was like trying to level an uneven roadway with a fixed back blade ..lotsa Up/Dn. If I rode closer to the ground the skids were cutting furrows... I thought the ideal was if the mower rested on the rear roller so that is why I got this XL top link.

In the one hour test, it does do better. The skids are less of an issue. (I may remove them to see that result...) I am still getting skips on tallish, thin grasses. I am still getting some points where the mower seems to suffer from indigestion. I am also trying to drive in 2-low (geared tractor). I really do not want to stay out all day in 1-low. My tach needs the cable replaced so I am driving by ear. Do these flails need a lot of spin? I gather it's spin and forward movement that needs to be happy together, but I don't seem to know where that is yet.

Jim

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,408  
Jim, a couple of thoughts: First, you still have one notch to go to fully raise your skids. I hate skids so mine are all the way up. Second, that toplink does look a bit long. The mower shouldn't need to tilt backwards as much. Third, I always have the rear roller in contact with the ground unless in very thick brush that I am backing into and even then I lower it before I drive forwards again. I cannot think of any other reason to have the rear roller off the ground while mowing.

I'd experiment with different holes on the tractor for the top link. Try it in the slot (that's where I keep mine). I have a hydraulic top link so can and do adjust it easily but you should still be able to get the right setting with the standard one. I cannot help but think that topping lift is just too long as you have it in the photo.

I have mine set so my skids never touch the ground, the rear roller is always in contact with turf and I fiddle with the topping lift to pivot the mower to get the cut height right. I use the 3pt mostly in the full down position but in thick grass sometimes have it slightly higher.

Others setup their mowers differently. I am mostly in fields knocking down annual growth and brush, not trying to maintain a perfect lawn. Leonz may have some suggestions too.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,409  
I have an unrelated related question.... :D

I'm still looking for a replacement tractor to run the 88" flail I picked up a while ago. I currently mow my 1-1/3 acre lawn with a 60" zero turn that works great. I've been looking for a tractor with a loader this time so I can do more with it, one of the problems is most of the older tractors are too heavy to use much on my yard and also R1 ag tires to tear things up. I found a 40hp Massey Ferguson 1540 with R4 tires and my big debate is whether I could run a rear finish mower on it to do my yard and then use the flail for outlots that I mow. Anybody use an RFM for actual yard? Will it cut similar to a regular mower or never quite as good? The tractor weighs 3000lbs without the loader and I'm a bit worried about compacting the soil and/or tree roots. Also have some ditches that concern me as I would go 72" to get outside of the tires and even my 60" zt is a little wide for the curve of the ditch. So, definately would be compromised for mowing the yard but then I could have one machine to do it all, and one light enough I could run it all over the yard for other things.. Being able to sell my zt and snowblower allows me to justify looking at this much nicer tractor (compared to the other old ones I'm looking at), but only if I can use it for all.. Anybody running an rfm on nice finished lawn, not just open areas..?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,410  
I been tryig to find a happy place with my Caroni flail. With the standard JB top link the upper mast of the mower was canted forward ~10-20deg. A couple of days ago I bought an XL top link at the tractor store ($39). Here's what it looks like now...

Flail_angle.jpg

If I may offer my take on adjusting your flail mower or most any kind of implement. First I don't want to sound as if I'm disputing any suggestions already given you because I've received a lot of good information from a lot of folks much smarter than I. So here goes:

1. With the mower resting on the rear roller and the 3 pt lift arms connected take your top link off the mower side.

2. Raise your 3 pt lift slowly until you have it looking level from the side.

3. Put your top link in the slotted hole and adjust it until it's half way of the slot.

4. The position your 3 pt lift arms are in will be the position you should cut with the mower.

If your cutting height is not what you want, adjust the rear roller height either up or down then you'll need to adjust your 3 pt lift arms a bit so the mower looks level again and you may have to adjust the top link so it rides in the middle of the slot again.

Your 3 pt lift arms will hold the front of the mower while it rests on the roller. The rear roller should always be on the ground when cutting. The top link will come into play when you need to lift your mower. Having the top link in the middle of the slot will allow your mower to pivot a few inches and follow the terrain. It will only pivot a few inches then catch itself after it runs out of slack in the slot. Most of the time that's all that's needed to get a good cut.