Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,631  
Awesome thread! Haven't read every page, but did search thread for Del Morino brand flail cutters with no results found. I am currently in the process of buying a Mahindra 5035 HST that comes with an unused Del Morino 186 cm Flipper flail cutter. Does anyone have any experiences with this product. Haven't, ever, used a flail cutter, but almost bought one for my Takeuchi CTL. Below is a thumbnail stock photo of this cutter, just click on it to enlarge.
Thanks in advance!
DM Flail Mower FP186 4.jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,632  
Awesome thread! Haven't read every page, but did search thread for Del Morino brand flail cutters with no results found. I am currently in the process of buying a Mahindra 5035 HST that comes with an unused Del Morino 186 cm Flipper flail cutter. Does anyone have any experiences with this product. Haven't, ever, used a flail cutter, but almost bought one for my Takeuchi CTL. Below is a thumbnail stock photo of this cutter, just click on it to enlarge.
Thanks in advance!
View attachment 382686

They-Del Morino have been building farm machinery for 120 years.
The European safety standards for all mowers and flailmowers
are much higer than ours here in the united states.

Home page with english translations for all models, YAY!!

Home - Farm lawn and Garden Equipment, home garden tractor equipment, new idea small farm machinery equipment - DEL MORINO s.r.l

You will not make mistake with it as it is a high quality product.

The Del Morinos have added a pair of V belt cooling vents in the V Belt shroud
which is a plus(you still have to clean behind the belt guard and dig out the grease fittings.

When you brong it home let us know so I can officially welcome you as the newest member
of the flail mower nation.

Happy mowing

When you get it home ask more questions as a flailmower is
much easier to use and leaves little to no clippings to worry about.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Once you go flail you never go back :thumbsup:

The only thing that falls from the sky is Angels and Rangers Sir!!!!

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,633  
Thank you leonz! You are the man, lol. I went to that site earlier and had no idea that they had an English translation available. My Italian..... well, it's non-existant. I'm, pretty pumped about this deal. I, really, wanted a 5035 PST, but the only one that my dealer could obtain has been baking in the Florida sun and salt air for 17 months. Then I ran across this 5035 HST with 9 hrs which has this unused Del Morino FC attached to it for a lot less money. I think this cutter will work great, just wish it was a bit wider with the side shift kit. Btw, I'm no angel, but have done plenty of falling from the sky and have the bad knees to show for it, ;) Maybe the HST is what these old knees need.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,634  
Rotational direction of drums & cutting knives/hammers.....

In looking at the Maschio flails, it appears as if the rotation of the drum & knives is counter to the direction of travel.
Is this typical for all flails or do some rotate in the direction of travel?

Is there any downside to the counter rotation in terms of potentially flinging stuff forward toward the tractor?

Thanks for any response.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,635  
I reversed the rotation (opposite of tire rotation) on my Mott88 by swapping the cutter shaft end for end. I ran into a problem with taller grass (10"-12"), it would just throw grass back in the path and eventually prevent the blades from cutting, and that was going at a snail's pace. Short grass was fine, but I didn't see any advantage of reversing. When I get a chance I'm going to put it back and install scoop or cup flails. According to Leon that should solve the issue with my wife, lol

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,636  
Thanks in advance!
View attachment 382686

Interested in a flail myself, and was pretty surprised to read that they're good in rocky areas. I may have to start looking .. If it wasn't for rocks, the Adirondacks would be a very deep valley!

BTW, dukeyjoe ... That's a good lookin' Setter! I've still got one out of Ultimate Reissue x Clark's Sandy Beach. She's gettin on in years now (like me!) but she still looks good on the ground! Bet yours does too!!

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,637  
Rotational direction of drums & cutting knives/hammers.....

In looking at the Maschio flails, it appears as if the rotation of the drum & knives is counter to the direction of travel.
Is this typical for all flails or do some rotate in the direction of travel?

Is there any downside to the counter rotation in terms of potentially flinging stuff forward toward the tractor?

Thanks for any response.

I'm running a Vrisimo flail and the drum turns opposite to the tractor wheels. It can easily be rotated by flipping the gearbox but I never saw a reason to as the cut is pristine. The only aggravation is that the scoop knives are high vac and will pull up more dust in bare areas.

On edit: One thing I would make certain of before purchasing a non US product is parts availability. Make sure the brand you are purchasing has a good parts supply and network. You don't want to be down for weeks in the middle of summer waiting on parts.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,638  
BTW, dukeyjoe ... That's a good lookin' Setter! I've still got one out of Ultimate Reissue x Clark's Sandy Beach. She's gettin on in years now (like me!) but she still looks good on the ground! Bet yours does too!!

Thanks BlacknTan! That's Sam, he's a dandy. Ranges like a gun dog should, natural retriever (2 birds at a time, occasionally) and a great pet to boot. He's Tomoka and Grouse Ridge Roy. His momma threw 24 pups and 23 of them are trained hunters. The 24th never had a chance, cause they turned her into a pet and never had her trained. We had a lot of word of mouth interest form NY, but didn't want to ship the pups. His brother, a ticked up tri-color is 90 mph and wide ranging. The owner does field trials with him, sometimes on horseback, lol.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,639  
Yes it is in about ninety nine percent of the flailmowers as you want to lift the
clippings over the flail mower rotor and let them fall to the ground.

The one percent exception is the occasional highway flailmower/Verge mower,
NOT ALL OF THEM SADLY.

Unless you have a mesh guard/thick plexiglass on the rops or an all weather cab you could be impaled by something it potentially picked up- THIS IS why you see the boom/long reach flail mowers working off to the right or left side of the highway mowers.
You do not have the reaction time necessary to stop the mower with a forward discharging flail mower mounted integrally/rear mount.

The othe rissue is tractor damage if you do not have a belly pan.

They are set up to throw anything they contact forward rather
than back as they are traveling in the direction of traffic.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,640  
Yes it is in about ninety nine percent of the flailmowers as you want to lift the
clippings over the flail mower rotor and let them fall to the ground.

The one percent exception is the occasional highway flailmower/Verge mower,
NOT ALL OF THEM SADLY.

Unless you have a mesh guard/thick plexiglass on the rops or an all weather cab you could be impaled by something it potentially picked up- THIS IS why you see the boom/long reach flail mowers working off to the right or left side of the highway mowers.
You do not have the reaction time necessary to stop the mower with a forward discharging flail mower mounted integrally/rear mount.

The othe rissue is tractor damage if you do not have a belly pan.

They are set up to throw anything they contact forward rather
than back as they are traveling in the direction of traffic.

OK, now I am really confused.

Are you saying that 99% of flail mowers rotate in the direction of travel or that 99% of the flail mowers have
a drum that rotates counter to direction of travel?

In a similar vein, which are most likely to throw something toward the operator, those that rotate in the direction of travel,
(i.e., the same direction as the tractor wheels) or those that have a drum that rotates counter to direction of travel?

Finally, you have mentioned in several of your posts that you believe that the safety standards on the European flails are at least the equal, if not a bit better, than the US flails. How does this square with the counter rotating drums.

Thanks again....