Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,611  
New tractor owner and first time poster here.

After reading a lot of this thread and some others, I settled on a flail mower instead of a brush hog.

I ended up getting this Titan FL135 from a dealer in my state. Apparently these are not very popular in Alabama and this dealer was the only one I found that stocked small flail mowers.

I haven't seen much info out there on this model, so I thought I would share.

This is an Italian mower made by Cosmo and imported by Titan Implements (not palletforks dot com). I paid $2000 for it at Dixie Horse and Mule Company. It came with hammers installed but also included the Y blades. I wouldn't say it's QH compatible but I was able to connect it to my QH.

My little Kubota BX has no problem at all running it and I have been abusing it quite hard clearing some woods. I have been very pleased so far.
View attachment 756753View attachment 756754View attachment 756755
Axleman, u will like that mower. My post right before yours is exact same except older. I have switched to y knives since I got my area cleared and it does good job. Check bolt tightness every so often. Even the locknuts will work loose

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,612  
Hi all, New flail owner. After reading almost all this thread, I bought a Titan fl165. Not impressed with cut I'm getting. It has the hammer blades on it and I'm trying to cut heavy clover and hay that hasn't been mowed this season. It will bog my L3800 hst unless I just crawl. I'm wondering if the included y grass blades would work better. They are not as sharp like the hammers are. Hammers are packing full of hay and not cleaning out. Running at 540, level and in 2nd hole from highest setting. Ground is rough but not terrible was planted in oats with grass seed mix last season.
Cold rider,
I have smaller version of yours it does cut grasses better with the y knives. If the "grass" is thick and tall it will bog have to slow down till u get cut down. There are several adjustments u can make to adjust cut . Hight at roller and top link. Try different settings . May work better

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,613  
Cold rider,
I have smaller version of yours it does cut grasses better with the y knives. If the "grass" is thick and tall it will bog have to slow down till u get cut down. There are several adjustments u can make to adjust cut . Hight at roller and top link. Try different settings . May work better
Thanks, it's all a big experiment. We'll get it figured out.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,614  

After reading a lot of this thread and some others, I settled on a flail mower instead of a brush hog.

I ended up getting this Titan FL135 from a dealer in my state. Apparently these are not very popular in Alabama and this dealer was the only one I found that stocked small flail mowers.

This is an Italian mower made by Cosmo and imported by Titan Implements (not palletforks dot com). I paid $2000 for it at Dixie Horse and Mule Company. It came with hammers installed but also included the Y blades. I wouldn't say it's QH compatible but I was able to connect it to my QH.

My little Kubota BX has no problem at all running it and I have been abusing it quite hard clearing some woods. I have been very pleased so far.

Any idea where to get replacement hammer blades?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,616  
Can you smart guys (and gals) help me pick a used flail mower, and maybe answer a question about different knife types? I'm located in central Wi, with a 45hp tractor (1969 Case 580ck w/draftomatic 3pt and pto). My main use will be grooming a few acres of pasture with a little bit of fallen tree branches and occasional smaller saplings to mow over/mulch. Not necessarily looking to make the pasture look like a lawn-just want something that cuts and mulches better than a brush hog.

I have a couple of options that are currently listed:

6' John Deere 25a
Screenshot_20220810-150731.png
Screenshot_20220810-150755.png

6' Land Pride FM3072
Screenshot_20220810-144454.png
Screenshot_20220810-144504.png
Screenshot_20220810-151752.png
They're both listed at roughly the same price.

Any opinion on which would be better for my needs? Also curious if there is a performance difference between those two knife styles. I notice that the 25a has the knives attached to the rotor via a clevis looking thing, whereas the Landpride is just pinned to the rotor. Is there advantage of one over the other? I tend to think the clevis type attachment would handle trash/debris better but would love to hear all your thoughts. Thank you.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,617  
Can you smart guys (and gals) help me pick a used flail mower, and maybe answer a question about different knife types? I'm located in central Wi, with a 45hp tractor (1969 Case 580ck w/draftomatic 3pt and pto). My main use will be grooming a few acres of pasture with a little bit of fallen tree branches and occasional smaller saplings to mow over/mulch. Not necessarily looking to make the pasture look like a lawn-just want something that cuts and mulches better than a brush hog.

6' John Deere 25a
View attachment 757863
View attachment 757864

6' Land Pride FM3072
View attachment 757865
View attachment 757866
View attachment 757867

Any opinion on which would be better for my needs? Also curious if there is a performance difference between those two knife styles. I notice that the 25a has the knives attached to the rotor via a clevis looking thing, whereas the Landpride is just pinned to the rotor. Is there advantage of one over the other? I tend to think the clevis type attachment would handle trash/debris better but would love to hear all your thoughts. Thank you.
Hello from Eastern WI.

I would personally take the JD 25A only because parts are going to be more readily available aftermarket. Either way, Flailmaster should have the knives and probably some other parts. The advantage of the clevis mount is the blades have an additional direction to move if they strike something. The knives will do just fine for what you are looking to do. I have an Alamo with a similar set up as the JD 25A, and I use it for the same stuff. I also mow my lawn with it, but I don't care much about my lawn so it does just fine for me. Just be careful on the fallen branches. I try to not run over anything over an inch or two. I've had larger pieces wedge into the hood and destroy my belt. When I mow heavier grass it will leave a nice carpet of clippings behind. I'd snap it up quick as they don't last long on the used market in this area it seems.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,618  
Hello from Eastern WI.

I would personally take the JD 25A only because parts are going to be more readily available aftermarket. Either way, Flailmaster should have the knives and probably some other parts. The advantage of the clevis mount is the blades have an additional direction to move if they strike something. The knives will do just fine for what you are looking to do. I have an Alamo with a similar set up as the JD 25A, and I use it for the same stuff. I also mow my lawn with it, but I don't care much about my lawn so it does just fine for me. Just be careful on the fallen branches. I try to not run over anything over an inch or two. I've had larger pieces wedge into the hood and destroy my belt. When I mow heavier grass it will leave a nice carpet of clippings behind. I'd snap it up quick as they don't last long on the used market in this area it seems.
Thanks Adell. I've been watching the market for at least a year now. You're 100% right-good deals are gone in a heartbeat. I haven't jumped at either one just yet because they feel a little over priced for my blood. But then again what doesn't these days!? Curious what you think a fair price is for either unit?

I'd love to get an Alamo mower like you mention but the few I ever see listed that are in serviceable condition also end up way too high priced. What model Alamo do you have and what tractor do you use it on?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,619  
I'd anticipate the JD to be about $1200 and the Land Pride to be about $1500, but those might be low as I'm basing this off when I was looking and selling a few years ago. Seeing that new prices have almost doubled on some implements, I wouldn't be surprised if they're asking double my numbers.

I would also like to note that those are not the original blades for the JD. JD used a duck-foot looking blade (seen in the Flailmaster catalog). But what is on there is a good replacement as those are the Alamo style blades. They are better priced and more readily available.

I have the SHD88 on my MF 2706E. I paid $1200 for it, but I drove 3 hours each way to pick it up in IL. It was an old Tollway mower and it was in need of all new blades, clevises, and pins. I also had to replace the rear roller after about 2 years use, because it was dented pretty bad when I got it. It broke one day mowing the ditch. I welded it back together to hold on until I was able to replace it. I was able to get the roller ends from Flailmaster and a piece of tube locally, and then weld it together myself. I also replaced the roller bearings at that time.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,620  

6' John Deere 25a
View attachment 757863
View attachment 757864

6' Land Pride FM3072
View attachment 757865
View attachment 757866
View attachment 757867

I only have experience with a 6 ft Caroni with 56 Y blades & 28 clevis’s. I replaced all bolts, nylocks, and clevis’s recently in an all in refurbishment. Clevis’s are the most expensive part.