Lets talk round balers

/ Lets talk round balers #1  

EquipmentUser

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere and IH
I'm just curious as to what your thoughts are on all the modern name brand balers. New Holland/ Case IH, Hesston/ New Idea, Vermeer, JD. If you were going to get a new baler what brand would you buy and why? One of the major brands listed above or would you get a less traditional brand such as Gehl, Krone, Claas, Vicon or any other I may be forgetting. I'm not in the market for a new baler or anything but just wondering what others think of all the different brands.

/ Lets talk round balers #2  
My neighbor got a John Deere 568 round baler at the start of this year and has done close to 1200 so far with it this year with no problems. He upgraded from two kick balers that were well past worn out. This is his first round baler and he loves it. I borrowed it 2 weeks ago and did my 120 acre lot with it and it worked great for me. It worked flawlessley at two times + the ground speed I'm accustomed to doing with the old kick balers.

I'm just not sure what I liked more. The new 568 baler or the new 7020 tractor that was pulling it. :)

/ Lets talk round balers #3  
Our area is very partial to New Holland hay equipment (its built about 20 minutes away). I have to say, for the amount of it that we sell very little of it ends up back in the shop. For guys doing custom work we have been selling an increasing amount of Krone. The quality is great and they have some innovative products like the multi-bale big baler (6 bales each knotted seperatly, but packaged as one)

/ Lets talk round balers #4  
Messick
Give me a link to the 6 pack baler you are talking about. We will be buying a new square baler this year and had pretty much settled on the MF and a accumulator setup, but this has me intrigued. How bout the $?

As far as rounders go, it's hard to beat the price and quality of the Vermeer rebels. I bought a new 4 ft model 3 years ago and have put a lot of hay through it with 0 problems. Lots of good balers out there. MF is making some a lot smaller than i ever imagined (38" wide) that run on about the same hp as the square balers. Deere has some awesome balers with options that take all the work out of it, but wow the $. Main thing have fun & stay safe, they'll all get the job done.

/ Lets talk round balers #5  
A little while ago I was told that Gehl was going to start getting out of the Agriculture side of their business. I do not know how soon this was supposed to happen but I don't know if that would effect the availablity of parts in the future or not.

/ Lets talk round balers #7  
jwcinpk said:
Messick
Give me a link to the 6 pack baler you are talking about. We will be buying a new square baler this year and had pretty much settled on the MF and a accumulator setup, but this has me intrigued. How bout the $?

here is the link to krone's web page for North America, i keep an eye on it personally because you get new stuff way before we see it. the machine you are talking about is a 1270 multibale. i have never driven the multi bale, but spent some time baling sugar cane thrash with a 1290 and it performed well, absolutely eclipsed the MF190 we where comparing it to. but so it should being designed about 15 years later.

Big Pack 1270 Multi-Bale

Home

/ Lets talk round balers #8  
Willing to share MSRP?
I looked at something called a bale bandit, but it was $100,000. Just a little out of my price range!

/ Lets talk round balers #9  
BigMccorm said:
A little while ago I was told that Gehl was going to start getting out of the Agriculture side of their business. I do not know how soon this was supposed to happen but I don't know if that would effect the availablity of parts in the future or not.

April 1,2006 Gehl anounced to their dealers that they were to cease making new ag-equipment. Parts are still available though.

/ Lets talk round balers
I had heard that Gehl was going to stop making ag equipment but I didn't know if it was true or not. I guess it is.

We have a JD 567 baler thats a good baler but we're not all that crazy about it. The next baler we get will be a BR780 New Holland. I believe NH builds some of the best hay equipment available but then again I believe about all the big name brands are top notch now days.