Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor...

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #41  
Hand tools. Yes.
Power tools. Yes, if they are harbor freight. Otherwise, really gotta think about it...
Tractor.... only with me included and the borrower supplies the root beer and gas. This way, if I break it, its my fault and I won't hold any ill feelings towards the borrower.

I plow my neighbor's snow with my tractor and he mows part of my lawn with his. I till his garden with my tiller, too.
I mow what I can of my neighbor's lawn with my Zero Turn (his rider is old doesn't work so good anymore like him), and he always brings a couple beers we share. He is pretty good at stopping me from working. :laughing: He let's me take heavy truck deliveries across his property on a occasion so I don't have to dump it too far from my landscaping projects. Being neighborly has its rewards.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #42  
It only takes one time when he borrows it and says OOOPs, I don't know what happened! Thats usually when the friendship ends. I used to lend out everything but now I smartened up. I bought it for me and use it for me. Might sound selfish but it works for me..

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #43  
Glad to hear it Nathan. As Big Bubba said - it sounds like your neighbor is in it for the long term. This could be a great thing.

As far as the hours, I wouldn't worry about them. As long as the tractor is not abused it has lots of hours in it. Age will get it more than hours. My nephews run a tractor that they overhauled the first time at 22,000 hours. They put as much into it as they could have sold it for but they still use it daily and it is a lot cheaper and more reliable than their newer tractors. it doesn't get used hard but they are not easy on it either.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #44  
I mow what I can of my neighbor's lawn with my Zero Turn (his rider is old doesn't work so good anymore like him), and he always brings a couple beers we share. He is pretty good at stopping me from working. :laughing: He let's me take heavy truck deliveries across his property on a occasion so I don't have to dump it too far from my landscaping projects. Being neighborly has its rewards.

I have found that whenever I attempt to do anything in my yard during daylight hours, there is an endless supply of retirees roaming the neighborhood looking for projects to supervise. :laughing:

Fortunately, they usually have previous experience with whatever I'm doing and usually have some good advice that saves me some grief, so I take the time to listen. I get less done, but I enjoy the conversation and usually learn something! :thumbsup:

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #45  
I have a good friend with whom I would lend anything I own. Due to having known him my whole life, and watching my father and him share each other's equipment and labor. He has lent me tractor or truck or anything else I need over the years, I will return the favor. People like that are few and far between, who can be trusted unconditionally. He knows that i, like my dad, will return things in current or better condition, greased and fueled. He does the same. I hope all simular situation can evolve for the OP. Best of luck.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #46  
Seems the ones you would give the shirt off your back never ask...

I had two older friends that were like mentors... sometimes they would see me working and just show up... like when i was trying to drill holes for concrete anchors with a star chisel drill and hammer... friend shows up with a hammer drill and I'm done in 15 minutes.

About the only thing I have ever been able to do is lend a hand on rare occasion...

The few times I have loaned equipment like vehicles and trailers there has always been something.

I guess if you can live with the worst case scenario... it would be ok.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #47  
Seems the ones you would give the shirt off your back never ask...
I had two older friends that were like mentors... sometimes they would see me working and just show up... like when i was trying to drill holes for concrete anchors with a star chisel drill and hammer... friend shows up with a hammer drill and I'm done in 15 minutes.
About the only thing I have ever been able to do is lend a hand on rare occasion...
I have a neighbor like that. I would have no problem lending him any piece of equipment that we own as I know that he would bring it back in better condition (not that he would ask).
I have stopped by more than a few times to give him a hand when I saw that he was in the middle of something, but would he ask for a hand? No, that has only happened once in the 4+ years we have lived next door.

Aaron Z

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #48  
Just today we had a visit from some friends that lived next door to in Cincinnati 25 years ago. We were just starting out and they were 10+ years ahead of us. He earned good money and had a lot of toys but didn't know how to use them real well. I knew how to use them and helped him and he let me borrow all of his toys. It worked out very well for us - too bad my job situation changed and we had to move away. I have always been very appreciative of how generous he was and it helped me. It really depends on who you are and who he is but if you are both the type of people who focus on keeping the relationship it will be great - if either of you is not then be careful.

This is true and well said..

You have a few things to consider. How much do you need the tractor while he is going to be on it...building a new home.. he will need it. You could say ... you can borrow it as long as I'm not using it. If he isn't ok with that he would need to go get his own tractor. Sounds like he already understands the principle of "you break it you fix it or bought it".... make sure he does though. He seems like a good neighbor and they are worth their weight in gold... but they still do not get to take advantage. I agree go with your gut. If his borrowing it gets to be excessive or prevents you from feeling like you have a tractor just tell him he needs to get a tractor.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #49  
I went elk hunting in Montana awhile ago on a farm that my buddy and I met at a bar in a restaurant after eating dinner there. We where planning on hunting BLM land, but didn't know the area, so we asked the people at the bar if they had any recommendations on where to find the elk. One of the guys there said he was the John Deere Saleman for the area and one of his customers was complaining about all the elk on his farm eating his crops. He called him while we where all sitting there and the owner of the farm came to the bar and invited us to stay at his house and hunt on his place. We both shot nice 6x6 bulls in two days.

After I shot mine, he went to a neighbors farm, opened up the barn and borrowed his tractor to get my elk. It was a nice John Deere with a loader. He called his friend who owned the meat processing plant, and then he picked up my elk with the tractor and carried it to the road where the meat processor was waiting. He took it to town.

The next day my buddy shot his elk and when we went back to the owner of the farms barn to get his tractor, it was gone. He figured another neighbor had borrowed it, but he didn't know who, or seem to concerned. We drove to another neighbors place, got his tractor and did the same thing with the meat processor.

When we got back to his place, his tractor was sitting in the barn.

Every one of those tractors where big horsepower John Deere 4x4's with loaders. He also had a much bigger one that he farmed 3,000 acres with. We spent 3 days at his house, his wife cooked and fed us, he drove us around his land and took care of the elk without us doing anything but telling stories, laughing at his jokes and having fun finding elk. When it was all said and done, we asked what we owed him and he said not a thing. We each left a thousand dollars in the house as a tip, hoping to be able to come back again in the future. This was a limited draw area that is very hard to get an elk tag for. I sent a thank you note, and a Christmas card for several years after that, but never heard back from him. We never drew another tag and over the years stopped applying.

There are some great neighbors out there, and some pretty amazing people. If you have neighbors like that guy has, I can see it being a very good thing to be able to share and borrow from each other. There where no fences, and nobody locked their barns. They seemed to come and go into each others barns whenever they wanted, and used what they needed. It was really nice.

/ Letting the neighbor borrow your tractor... #50  
There can only be ONE owner of something. The ONE owner may decide to rent/loan or not, but once you have more than one owner there WILL be problems.

I have borrowed things, including a tractor only because the owner approached me knowing I needed something. I would not go ask.