Leveling a barn site

/ Leveling a barn site #1  

awright42

Tractor
John Deere 3320
I need to level a site for a new pole barn. I need to cut 40" and fill 40" over a 50' run.
Can this be done with a 33 HP compact tractor? What would be the best attachment?
Cutting will be into clay. I'm considering a box blade. Thanks.

/ Leveling a barn site #2  
This job is usually done with a excavator, a bulldozer wouldn't even do this job efficiently. Box blade or FEL wont be able to dig clay out very efficiently ... The only way I see it being done is by bottom plowing it then removing the rows and doing it over until you reach the dept. Box blade would be good for backfilling and smoothing it out but that about it. This would be a colossal project to do with a 33hp tractor.

Last edited:
   / Leveling a barn site #3  
A tractor-drawn scraper would work lol... probably the ''best'' attachment for this job.

/ Leveling a barn site #4  
33 hp is on the small side for this job. Especially with clay soil. But it could be done.
I would tackle the job with a 50hp tractor, filled tires and hydraulic rippers... and water and no time restraints.
Did about the equivalent for my barn with a 2 wheel drive MF 30B many years ago.
Be sure to take time to wheel roll your fill in in moist layers for good compaction

/ Leveling a barn site #5  
33 hp is on the small side for this job. Especially with clay soil. But it could be done.
I would tackle the job with a 50hp tractor, filled tires and hydraulic rippers... and water and no time restraints.
Did about the equivalent for my barn with a 2 wheel drive MF 30B many years ago.
Be sure to take time to wheel roll your fill in in moist layers for good compaction

what do you mean by hydraulic ripper ?

/ Leveling a barn site #6  
Best way to go is rent a skid steer for a couple of days. Cost about the same as a box blade. But will get it done much faster and probably better.

/ Leveling a barn site #7  
It could be done with a good round point shovel and a wheelbarrow, but it would take a LOT longer.
You don't give much info.
What are your potential rental capabilities?
Is it relatively flat but sloped terrain?
Are you putting the cut & removed clay in for the fill?
THe skid steer is a good suggestion.
Maybe break it up with a box blade first. I put in one shead that I had to dig out marine clay and that required a lot of effort.

/ Leveling a barn site #8  
This job is usually done with a excavator, a bulldozer wouldn't even do this job efficiently. Box blade or FEL wont be able to dig clay out very efficiently ... The only way I see it being done is by bottom plowing it then removing the rows and doing it over until you reach the dept. Box blade would be good for backfilling and smoothing it out but that about it. This would be a colossal project to do with a 33hp tractor.
With a compact tractor you are depending on just the right amount of soil moisture content to get this done with any efficientcy. Slow and steady gets it done. But the window of oppurtunity to do the work may be small, if it drys out fast or you get rain and it's to muddy to work with the tractor.
An excavator would excel at moving the material in this 50' area.
My second choice would be a tracked skidsteer.

/ Leveling a barn site #9  
I wouldn’t undersell the importance of compaction in the fill area.
just driving over it with tractor tires will not be enough, and the integrity of the finished building will eventually show signs of settling in that area.

/ Leveling a barn site #10  
We only get one chance to properly build a pad to support a building. It needs to be properly compacted to at least 90%. That requires a vibratory compactor, a sheepsfoot is even better.

I would remove the top layer of the building pad with my tractor and loader. About 6" where all the vegetation roots were.

Then I would hire a crew with the tools and knowledge to build a pad.