Leveling deck on x500 John Deere

/ Leveling deck on x500 John Deere #1  

hoot1293

Have done all the steps that the Manuel tells you to do and it still cuts unlevel.

/ Leveling deck on x500 John Deere #2  
did you adjust the front of the mower deck up or down on the front brackets until its slightly lower in the front than it is in the rear when fully lowered? is your problem with level in the side to side measurements or front to rear of deck?

/ Leveling deck on x500 John Deere #3  
Use a blade height gauge. (Available from JD, and inexpensive.) Measure the cut height of the blades, not the deck. The tool in the height adjuster knob is good for getting the adjustment close only.

Focus on getting the blades even from side to side, then adjust front to back with a slight (1/8"-1/4") downward rake on the front. I also set the gauge wheels 1/2" lower in the back than in the front. With the rear wheels about 1/8" off the ground. My lawn looks like it was mowed with a surface planer. (Very flat...)

/ Leveling deck on x500 John Deere #4  
We have a 500 took it back could not get deck level. Might be a production problem.

/ Leveling deck on x500 John Deere #5  
Thanks Eric,
Top notch info, i appreciate it
Bill

/ Leveling deck on x500 John Deere #6  
1st check the air pressue in your tires. 2nd use a blade height guage the deck leveling guage is good only for a quick check. On a level surface you can get the deck level to within 1/8 of inch. Each time you move the draft arm adjustment or use the deck leveling screws they affect each other so only make small adjustments each time.

/ Leveling deck on x500 John Deere #7  
1st check the air pressue in your tires. 2nd use a blade height guage the deck leveling guage is good only for a quick check. On a level surface you can get the deck level to within 1/8 of inch. Each time you move the draft arm adjustment or use the deck leveling screws they affect each other so only make small adjustments each time.

X2 With the tires first.

/ Leveling deck on x500 John Deere #8  
I think Hoot bailed on the deck levelling thing.
I have found that getting the deck level, & matching the cut height knob (With actual cut height) can be somewhat taxing on my patience. I have previously commented on the fact that in order to have the cut height match the scale on the adjuster knob, the rear adjuster bolts have to be nearly bottomed out. A condition that was made slightly better with the addition of HDAP rear tires. I have also noticed that with the blades perfectly level, the anti-scalp/gauge wheels are not even. Their clearance is different from side to side. (Though not critical.) It would be nice if they could be adjusted independently of the deck/blade height. (Other than the 1/2" spaced holes.)

I have checked my deck several times since I bought my X540. It has held adjustment pretty well, and does cut nice and level. But, I certainly had to adjust it from when it was delivered to me. The factory deck height was not even close to the height on the knob, and it was way off level. The selling dealer should deliver the tractor with the deck levelled, don't you think? Do they assume that every owner is going to take the time that many of us do to get them cutting nice and level? I guess they must, because I did. And so has every else that comments on this forum.

/ Leveling deck on x500 John Deere #9  
My deck was was level when I got the tractor however it wasn't close to the adjustment knob settings. I releveled the deck using a blade height guage and was able to get spot on with the knob settings. It has stayed level since.

/ Leveling deck on x500 John Deere
Didn't bail, got it level and then they talked me into putting Gator blades on it. When they were put on and I started mowing with the height level set the same it cut really close. I had to change the height setting again. It is still not cutting level. The dealership told me to bring it back to them..