Liability....WHAT liability?

/ Liability....WHAT liability? #31  
This is from zzvyb6's link:
Michelin and Tire Shop Pay After Old Tire Causes Wreck

The Ammons Law Firm has successfully negotiated the settlement of a product liability case against Michelin and a tire shop on behalf of the surviving wife, children and parents of a Florida man who was killed when his van rolled over.

The rollover was caused by the tread separation failure of a BF Goodrich Radial T/A tire that was over ten years old when it was installed on the man's van by a local tire shop. The tire, manufactured by Michelin, had deteriorated and become brittle with age.

The lawsuit filed by Rob Ammons claimed the Radial T/A tire was manufactured using inadequate materials and processes and that it was designed without the features necessary to prevent a tread/belt separation. Ammons also claimed that despite knowing how age adversely affects a tire's components, Michelin did nothing to warn consumers that older tires are dangerous.

Allegations against the tire shop centered on its sale and installation of the deteriorated tire that was unsafe to place into service due to its age.

According to Ammons, "The appearance of a tire has little to do with how safe it is. The components inside a tire degrade over time, even if the tire is not being used. To prevent crashes caused by tire failures, tire companies need to make tires more durable and sellers need to remove old tires from their inventories."

Both Michelin and the tire shop required that the settlement amounts be kept confidential.

The Ammons Law Firm is located in Houston, Texas and practices personal injury law, including cases involving: tire defects, oil rig explosions, truck accidents, plant explosions, refinery accidents, wrongful death, post-collision fires, seat belt defects, seatback defects, air bag defects, SUV rollovers and workplace negligence.

/ Liability....WHAT liability? #32  
Just got a text from my ex, who got my '04 Lesabre in the divorce...she said the car still has the OEM Michelins and although over 10 years old, they have given her no problems. I really think all this hype about older tires being unsafe is just a ploy to get drivers to buy new ones.
It seems tires south of the MI boarder do not last very well, My dads 1987 fifth wheel still has the original tires on it, every year before I pull it up to camp I check the tires for dry rot, cracks, weather checking and last fall were still looking good. Our utility trailer that has carried a lot of green oak are starting to look very bad, were on the trailer when dad bought the trailer in the early 70s. I know tires are not built the same as the good old days, but still feel most tire problems in MI are caused by improper care.
Ron

/ Liability....WHAT liability? #33  
This is from zzvyb6's link:

The Ammons Law Firm has successfully negotiated the settlement of a product liability case against Michelin and a tire shop on behalf of the surviving wife, children and parents of a Florida man who was killed when his van rolled over.

The rollover was caused by the tread separation failure of a BF Goodrich Radial T/A tire that was over ten years old when it was installed on the man's van by a local tire shop. The tire, manufactured by Michelin, had deteriorated and become brittle with age.

The lawsuit filed by Rob Ammons claimed the Radial T/A tire was manufactured using inadequate materials and processes and that it was designed without the features necessary to prevent a tread/belt separation. Ammons also claimed that despite knowing how age adversely affects a tire's components, Michelin did nothing to warn consumers that older tires are dangerous.

Allegations against the tire shop centered on its sale and installation of the deteriorated tire that was unsafe to place into service due to its age.

According to Ammons, "The appearance of a tire has little to do with how safe it is. The components inside a tire degrade over time, even if the tire is not being used. To prevent crashes caused by tire failures, tire companies need to make tires more durable and sellers need to remove old tires from their inventories."

Both Michelin and the tire shop required that the settlement amounts be kept confidential.

The Ammons Law Firm is located in Houston, Texas and practices personal injury law, including cases involving: tire defects, oil rig explosions, truck accidents, plant explosions, refinery accidents, wrongful death, post-collision fires, seat belt defects, seatback defects, air bag defects, SUV rollovers and workplace negligence.

This brings up a good point. I probably buy a dozen sets of tires. Before they are ever mounted I check the manufactures date stamp on each tire. I will not accept a tire over 6 month's old.

Chris

/ Liability....WHAT liability? #34  
What event ever brought on that mandatory TPS BS anyway?

/ Liability....WHAT liability? #35  
Just got a text from my ex, who got my '04 Lesabre in the divorce...she said the car still has the OEM Michelins and although over 10 years old, they have given her no problems. I really think all this hype about older tires being unsafe is just a ploy to get drivers to buy new ones.

Not at all hype, just like belts and hoses, rubber is not an everlasting thing and tires flex a lot. I am a mechanic and tow truck operator after hours and I, by trade, see this very often. Old, dry rotted tires represent I'd guess about 30% of the failures I see. I've had a person come to our shop with an old "80s chevy van with 4 crappy dry rotted tires for a blown tire. Replaced the one and off he went, blew the second, the third and the fourth all in the following days. If you think its a fluke that's fine but at least take a look at your tires. Some do age better than others, but for cars that sit out in the sun all day and get baked day in and day out are the ones that will have troubles down the road.

Trailer tires also are meant to be replaced every 4 years or so, they just aren't made the same as vehicle tires.

/ Liability....WHAT liability? #36  
I have in my kitchen a dish drying basket from 1964 in perfect shape. A NEW similar type construction shampoo and what/not holder in my shower lasted a year before the vinyl seperated from the metal and it began to rust.

You can't tell me that chemistry and technology hasn't improved in Fifty years? Consumers are just such total suckers to be sold the cheapest crap they can make it seems

/ Liability....WHAT liability? #38  
You can't tell me that chemistry and technology hasn't improved in Fifty years?

Of course it has but the designers have control of how much of it goes into the product, if the design life of a tire is "x" years why would you spend the extra expense to make it last "y" years.

/ Liability....WHAT liability? #39  
Agreed... usage and climate are important factors.

I'm the first to admit I'm a careful driver... think it is related to my auto restoration hobby... been driving 40 years and never had a ticket.

I also live in a very mild climate... never freezes and no one around here has home air conditioning plus my vehicles are for the most part garaged.

My only new car is 14 years old and just made the 60k mark on the odometer...

Commute to work is 9 minutes and it's rare for me to drive 35 miles from home.

I do take the new 14 year old car a couple of times a year north to Washington State and I make sure my vehicle is road ready.

I have friends that live in Arizona and they tell me the heat just bakes the cars there... interiors, tires, etc.

My 91 Pickup and my 2002 BMW look like new.

Only point is some common sense has to apply and I grew up around the family car business...

I do think mentioning the local National Guard using tires dating from Vietnam makes a valid counterpoint.

/ Liability....WHAT liability? #40  
Speed and heat are what ruin modern radial tires. Comparing nylon and bias tires that never see 50 mph is like comparing tin foil and a 12" steel I - Beam and saying they are both metal.

Chris