Liberty Backhoe

/ Liberty Backhoe #21  
90W gear oil?! That's awful thick. Is that what the manufacturer called for?

Yup. Seemed odd to me too for a new piece of equipment. My Fords all require that for the hydraulics, but they're over 60 years old. Works like a charm though.:)

/ Liberty Backhoe #23  
Probably work OK if you warmed it to +40 or so before you started... :thumbsup:

I don't plan to do much digging here in PA in temperatures below freezing. My tractors are tempermental below 32F, so I end up using dipstick heater's in the winter so I can plow snow on demand. I imagine the PTO pump would self-destruct if I tried to run it at -20. (Not that we see many of those days here)

I questioned the manufacturer thoroughly before I did it, and the simple fact that I couldn't find ANY hydraulic fluid close to what the manual recommended kinda narrowed my choices.

Stay warm my friend!

/ Liberty Backhoe #24  
I used TS Universal trans/hydraulic fluid in mine. Different brand BH, but I can't think of why yours would call for such a high weight oil. Here is an excerpt from the manual for my BH showing recommended hyd ISO grades depending on your conditions. Credit to Woodmaxx for this data which is available to all from their website.
ISO hydr grade.jpg

Btw, mine oscillates a little when swung left/right too. I've found the best way to prevent that is to be easy on the transition of the lever instead of abruptly stopping the swing. I suppose that could be said for all movements of the hoe. Just takes getting use to.

HP

/ Liberty Backhoe #25  
Dealing with this company is an amazing experience. My backhoe was delivered 4 months after it was promised. I was promised compensation for the fiasco but the promises were not kept, The whole process was like watching an episode of the three stooges. What bothered me the most were the constant promises that were not kept. I spent many years as a purchasing agent and this was the most amazing display of incompetence I have ever experienced. The backhoe appears to be of good quality but I would never do business with this company again.

/ Liberty Backhoe #26  
Dealing with this company is an amazing experience. My backhoe was delivered 4 months after it was promised. I was promised compensation for the fiasco but the promises were not kept, The whole process was like watching an episode of the three stooges. What bothered me the most were the constant promises that were not kept. I spent many years as a purchasing agent and this was the most amazing display of incompetence I have ever experienced. The backhoe appears to be of good quality but I would never do business with this company again.

Sorry to hear of your tough time. But the fact that they didn't make you pleased in the end is a sure sign I wouldn't consider a purchase either.
it doesn't appear like you were expecting way to much from them for them to make a good happy customer.
Hopefully it holds up well..

/ Liberty Backhoe #27  
Just kinda wondering...have any of you Liberty owners worried about not having a support frame under the hoe to take the strain of a hard dig?
More important than that is have you had any trouble with the tractor since installing/using the 3pt backhoe? I have read many discussions entertaining the opinioin that 3pt hitch hoes were a bad plan and hard on the tractor. I'dfavor the opinion of those of you that have them and use them.

/ Liberty Backhoe #28  
Just kinda wondering...have any of you Liberty owners worried about not having a support frame under the hoe to take the strain of a hard dig?
More important than that is have you had any trouble with the tractor since installing/using the 3pt backhoe? I have read many discussions entertaining the opinioin that 3pt hitch hoes were a bad plan and hard on the tractor. I'dfavor the opinion of those of you that have them and use them.

I haven't had any trouble but I have an 8 foot hoe on a Massey 165 with 18.9 X 26 rear tires with weight so there is enough tractor to handle it. It digs very well. You can tear up anything if you don't use your head but digging out stumps etc it does the job with out putting too much stress on the three point. The smaller the tractor the more problem you would have. It is like everything, understand its limits and work within them. Where I am you can't rent a backhoe and anybody with one charges an arm and a leg to dig for you. I don't use it a lot but when I need it I need it. I find the 3 point unit works for me.

/ Liberty Backhoe #29  
I haven't had any trouble but I have an 8 foot hoe on a Massey 165 with 18.9 X 26 rear tires with weight so there is enough tractor to handle it. It digs very well. You can tear up anything if you don't use your head but digging out stumps etc it does the job with out putting too much stress on the three point. The smaller the tractor the more problem you would have. It is like everything, understand its limits and work within them. Where I am you can't rent a backhoe and anybody with one charges an arm and a leg to dig for you. I don't use it a lot but when I need it I need it. I find the 3 point unit works for me.

Thank you. I bought an MF 1529 and the dealer warned me against 3pt hitch backhoes. Of course he had a package to sell, but i couldn't afford the extra $8000, that included full frame reinforcement. But that's a lot smaller than your 165!

/ Liberty Backhoe #30  
The subframe is usually not the expensive part. It seems the back hoe itself is usually the large expense especially if you go with a namebrand like woods or rhino. Problem is the manufactures of the less expensive backhoes don't offer subframes normally. I have also heard of subframe Backhoes with problems as well. There was a picture here on TBN with a factory Backhoe and subframe and a tractor cracked in middle. Everything has its limits that being said I do feel the subframe does offer more protection.