Life on the farm

/ Life on the farm #1  

buckeyefarmer

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4 BX23
Was just looking at some pics of the family farm where my parents still live. I was blessed to have grown up here. My parents bought this farm in the 40's.
First pic taken behind our house, looking towards the "big hill" as we call it. This hill was great for sledding in the winter.
farm20070701175854_OH_hay_0898.jpg

the 2nd pic is take from top the "big hill" looking east. In the 70's we had some of this area cleared. Way back was an old log house, that still had several of the hand hewn logs yrs ago, but are gone now.
farm20070701181210_OH_hay_0901.jpg

The 3rd pic is on the west 40, out beyond the barn. This is the flatest part of the farm. We used to grow strawberries in this field, which we used to have to hoe, and pick.
farm20070630193816_OH_hay_0887.jpg

/ Life on the farm
At the middle of the big hill, there used to be an old road from the horse and buggy days. It was a ditch, with locust trees growing up on the banks. When I was around 12, I would get paid $1 a day to cut small locust trees with an axe that grew on the banks. I still have a scar on my thumb from a sharpening accident. In the mid 70's my dad bought a small dozer, John Deere 1010, gas engine. We cut a lot of timber and pulled it out using that dozer. I used that dozer a lot as a teenager. Before the dozer, we cut a lot of timber using our 8N to pull out the logs. The 8N is all we had then, until my grandfather died in the late 80's and we also used his old 9N. This is my oldest brother filling in the old road and taking the edges off the side, so it could be mowed and be part of the field. My dad sold the dozer a few yrs ago, after I got him the L5030. I remember having a swing on the cherry tree in the background. We would braid ropes from old baler twine for the swing ropes. I also remember hanging meat from the tree limb when butchering.

dec75-19.jpg

/ Life on the farm
Tractors on the Farm:
For many years we just had the Ford 8N. In this picture taken in 83, Dad was mowing in front of his bee hives, at the end of the garden, so he had his bee hat on.

farm8nmowing.jpg

Here's whats left of the 8N. I would love to restore it some day.

farm8n.jpg

This is the 9N that was my grandfathers. I don't believe it's currently in running condition. The building these are in was a chicken house at one time. When I was very young, Dad raised chickens. We still call it the chicken house to this day, even though we haven't raised chickens since the early 70's. The main part of the chicken house was built in the 40's, using locust poles, and they are still original. I'll post more later about the chicken house if I keep the tread going.

farm9n.jpg
My boys and I helping with the hay several yrs ago. Tractor is the 600, the trailer was my grandfathers. Just found out last week our dog has a cancerous tumor.

farm600hay.jpg

Here is the Ford 600 that Dad bought in the 90's. He still uses this hay rake.

farmrake600.jpg

In 2005 Dad was having a lot of trouble with the 600, so I bought the L5030. He protested of course, but he loves it now. The hydraulics has been a real help to him. The only problem was I bought it with R4 tires, which don't hold too good on his hillsides. I wish it had R1 tires. This yr I put 2 rear remotes on it.
farmL5030.jpg

The baler is a NH super66. The only baler we have ever had. Before he bought this used in the early 70's, we put in loose hay with trip rakes and buck rake on the front of the 8n.
farmbalerL5030.jpg

That's it for the tractor edition. Next will probably be about barns and buildings.

/ Life on the farm #5  
I enjoyed your pictures, kept them coming

/ Life on the farm #6  
Brings back my thoughts to the times of putting up hay with the MM tractor, and the MM wire baler, and doing all the raking with the JD in the late 50's and early 60's. Don't do that anymore, and the thought of hefting 120 lb bales anymore just make me hurt.

/ Life on the farm #7  
Here's whats left of the 8N. I would love to restore it some day.
Hope you can get to restoring that someday. I love those old 8N's Hope to own one someday when I can get the money to buy one.

Great pics thanks for sharing them with us. :)

Chad

/ Life on the farm
Hay Barn:

The main section of this barn was on the farm when Dad bought the farm in the 40's. The back section, with the lower sloping roof, is not in pictures from the 50's. The first picture shows our truck we called "Old Pete", because Dad bought it from Pete, the welder. That truck had the best engine, it outlasted the rest of the truck. We put a wood flatbed on it many yrs ago, and hauled a lot of hay with it. Note the hay elevator on the bed. Yep, all the hay got put in by hand.
barn1.jpg
Before we had the square baler, we put hay in loose. There are doors at the top north end gable. There is a metal rail down the top of the barn, that hold the hay forks. See the last picture for a better view. Hay would be raked with a trip rake,, then the piles of hay were picked up with a buck rake on the front of the tractor, that was hooked up with a cable to the 3pt at the back, that raised the rack. Hay would be piled on the ground on the north end, and the hay fork would be lowered, would grab a pile of hay, and pulled up to the rail, then it would be pulled down the rail into the barn, and then tripped where we would want it. As a boy, my job was to pitch the hay from the center of the barn to the sides after it was dropped. It was a hot job, and I still remember snakes falling with the hay sometimes. We would walk across the beams of the barn, and jump down into the loose hay, doing flips in the air. My uncle had video of us jumping from the upper window into the large hay pile outside, but don't know what ever happened to the video.
barn2.jpg
Hay stacked inside
barn3.jpg
Picture of the barn taken from the "big hill". We had various farm roads, and cow lanes to move equipment and animals around the farm. The steeper areas are pasture, the flatter areas are hay fields. In the fall, cows would be pastured in the hay fields.
barn4.jpg
Cows in the hay field. In the winter, dad would feed in the morning before he went to work. We feed in the evenings. It was always fun going over to the barn on a dark snowy night, when the snow was knee deep.
barn5.jpg
Hay forks used to pull loose hay into the barn.
barn6.jpg
The Hay barn is on the west 40. This used to be a separate farm from where our house is, therefore why the barn is a good ways away from the house. There used to be an old house next to the barn, but only the basement hole is all I remember. We filled it in eventually. behind the barn is two dug wells. One has a well house built over it, and it feeds water to the house. Water from the backside barn roof is caught and feeds into the well.

Glad people are enjoying the pictures. I have many many stories I could tell. I have a nice picture of a niece sitting in the barn window, but don't want to post without her permission. She is now 19, and basically learned to drive by driving the truck picking up hay. She could back a load of hay up to the barn by herself way before she ever got a license. My niece just went thru a round of Chemo for her 2nd round of cancer, she first had it when in high school. My youngest son was driving the hay truck some this summer. my nephews are also well experienced in the hay fields.

/ Life on the farm #9  
Great pictures and comments. Makes me wish I had grown up on a farm and hopefully I'll be able to leave something behind with just as much history to it!!!

Thanks for sharing
Eddie

/ Life on the farm #10  
Great stories of life on the farm! Thanks for sharing those.

Wish your niece the best of luck. Young folks fighting cancer is one of the unfairest situations.

When the hay was stacked loose in the barn (not baled) did it keep well? Do you think it would be a reasonable option for someone who wants to put up a bit hay on a homestead/hobby scale?