Lift Cylinder on 541 Question

/ Lift Cylinder on 541 Question #1  

Goalie

Tractor
John Deere 5210
On the End on one of my lift cylinders the end cap where the rod slids in and out moves in and out about an eighth of an inch. Is this normal or what is going on? Is it hard to fix? Advise needed.:confused:

/ Lift Cylinder on 541 Question #2  
Not normal! The end cap should not slide back and forth on the cylinder ram. Look closely and check for cracked or stripped end-cap.

AKfish

/ Lift Cylinder on 541 Question #3  
A picture would likely get you a response of how to try to tighten it.

/ Lift Cylinder on 541 Question #4  
Just a guess, but possibly the one snap ring is missing (#3)...disassembly would be needed for a proper diagnosis.

Attachments

• 541.gif
    541.gif
    17 KB · Views: 624
   / Lift Cylinder on 541 Question
I have never had the cylinder apart , is it possible a snap ring broke or is there a treaded part on the ram end or just snap rings? The cylinder does not leak and functions properly just the cap moves in and out. Has any one every had one apart?

/ Lift Cylinder on 541 Question #6  
Actually it is not too unusual to have some movement there. 1/8" might be more than normal, but the only thing that holds it in place are the two snap rings. Snap ring #3 in the parts diagram should be visible on the outside. It keeps the guide from sliding into the cylinder. #6 is on the inside. It keeps the guide from pulling out. The method for disassembly is to remove from loader and drain the oil out. Remove the outer snap ring#3. Then push the guide back into the cylinder far enough to expose snap ring #6. Remove that snap ring with a couple of picks or screwdrivers. Then you should be able to pull cylinder rod, guide and piston out of cylinder barrell. You might find the snap rings worn or even the guide could be worn and allowing the excess movement. Having said all that, i wouldn't worry about it if the external ring is in place and it isn't leaking. But, if it is really bothering you, go ahead and take it apart and see if anything is worn. I would order seal kits #25 and 26, and snap rings #3 and 6. before you start. Guide #8 is likely to be worn also. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. That is just what I needed to know.

jd110
If I leave the cylinder until it starts leaking what is the worst damage I could do? Will the part list be the same as what you intially said?