Lifting truss with FEL

/ Lifting truss with FEL #41  
Pretty neat process you all have come up with.
For these smaller operations, without a bunch of people walking the roof, how do you unhook the truss from the boom you have up in the air with the tractor in use? Like in the picture directly above?

Tall ladder. Might not work for everyone.

/ Lifting truss with FEL #42  
Pretty neat process you all have come up with.
For these smaller operations, without a bunch of people walking the roof, how do you unhook the truss from the boom you have up in the air with the tractor in use? Like in the picture directly above?
I did my 32 footers by myself. I'd lift one up and lean it against the existing rafters, jiggle the slip hook to release and then do a second one. The second rafter I would just leave hanging loosely on the loader. Quickly up one side and toenail the rafters onto the sill, and then to the center to do the nailing there. I had to be quick with the center as the loader would slowly sink and I couldn't push two rafters into place at once. I would then get the next strapping into place in the center and toenail the opposite side and repeat all over again until I was done. Ya those were my younger days....

Last edited:
   / Lifting truss with FEL #43  
I used a tall step ladder to unhook my boom pole from the frames for our garage. I had a 10 foot step ladder that I could reach the connection point with ( I would never stand on the top step) I used a piece of rope to keep the connection close Because I didn’t have a longer piece of square tube on hand. Cam

/ Lifting truss with FEL
How long are the trusses? When I built my 24‘ x 24‘ garage, we just handed up the trusses upside down, and then flipped them up one at a time to attach them to the previous truss. No machinery necessary.
nice! These are only 19' wide.

/ Lifting truss with FEL #45  
I am in the beginning stages of building a barn and will be attempting to lift 24' metal trusses 4/12 possibly as high as 24' at the peak. I will be adding a boom pole to a hay spear.

/ Lifting truss with FEL #46  
There are lots of uTube videos from people that lifted theirs, in various ways. I watched alot of them before I did 'em for my shop...

/ Lifting truss with FEL
My neighbor said I could test on his new house! It worked with no problem - $10 boom. 26' trusses.
IMG_6414.jpg

Visit the YT channel to see the short:

/ Lifting truss with FEL #48  
This is how I put my 60' x 120' shed up.

Moose Building Shed by sonny reese, on Flickr

I love the concept.

I've been hunting for a telehandler, but they are so awfully expensive.
I just picked up an older CAT loader that I've been planning to use for site prep. And, thinking about building a crane attachment for it.

/ Lifting truss with FEL
I love the concept.

I've been hunting for a telehandler, but they are so awfully expensive.
I just picked up an older CAT loader that I've been planning to use for site prep. And, thinking about building a crane attachment for it.
Actually, I think this could easily be modified to handle some low weight crane stuff. mount a snatchblock on top with a rope. On the front of the tractor use the winch.

/ Lifting truss with FEL #50  
Actually, I think this could easily be modified to handle some low weight crane stuff. mount a snatchblock on top with a rope. On the front of the tractor use the winch.

I'm thinking of quite a bit of weight. My dozer was supposed to be a Cat 955K, but it turned out to be a Cat 977K. It is a BEAST.

The question is how vertical of a lift arm one wants. If the lift arm is nearly vertical, then one could use the winch to do the heavy lifting, and not impact the stability of the dozer. On the other hand, a long horizontal would be more maneuverable, and adjustable with the bucket tilt, but would also provide leverage to lift the dozer. Just not 40,000 lbs of dozer.