Dealer Light-weight deer rifle for my wife

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife
Thank to all of ypou that responded to my request for information about a light-weight deer rifle for my wife. This certainly is a great site for just about rural life living. I believe we have decided on a Savage. That will be quite a different projectile from my .58 Cal. muzzle loader. Thanks again.

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #32  
Thank to all of ypou that responded to my request for information about a light-weight deer rifle for my wife. This certainly is a great site for just about rural life living. I believe we have decided on a Savage. That will be quite a different projectile from my .58 Cal. muzzle loader. Thanks again.

Great choice! I saw a Savage advertisement yesterday where they have package guns with a Nikon scope mouted and boresighted. That is a good deal! Most pacakge gun scopes frankly are about the cheapest you can find, the Nikons aren't. I thought it looked like a great deal.

Savage Arms

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #33  
I would 2nd the post above that talded about the 257 Robert''s and the 260 Rem. I started about 4 young shooter's with the 257R with 115 gr. bullets. that said the 260 rem would be my next choice if buying a new rifle it available in more guns and you could shoot a 120 grain bullet. But first and formost get a gun that fits her, that makes everything else better, lower felt recoil, gun mounting and site picture will all come together for a more pleasant time shooting. Good luck in what you decide.

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #34  
No argument here, .243 is about as good as it gets for deer. Very popular here in Oregon. On thing I have learned, let the intended shooter have a say as to what rifle they like as far as fit. I have tried and failed several times picking out a gun for my wife or son, only to find out they didn't like it for one reason or another. How it feels to me is entirely different to someone else. Giving your wife the final say in what fits her well will make shooting and hunting much more enjoyable to you and her!

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #35  
One thing that needs to be asked is what is your hunting land like? Open fields with a good chance of taking long shots, or forest where a 75 yd shot is a "long" shot. I love my Ruger .243 and it has done very well for me, but my hunting land has changed and I no longer have any fields to hunt in and the .243 stays home. I use my Winchester in 7-30 or the super black hawk in .44 mag. I am a big fan of .243 but it is a tool and no one tool is best for all jobs. Ed

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #36  
I bought my daughter a Marlin XS7 in .308 but only because I shoot a .308 and we share ammo. Otherwise, I'd have purchased a .243. The Marlin is an interesting rifle. No money wasted on sights (personally I'd be crying too much to take a shot through iron sights if I'd broken the scope), magazine bottom plates, or fancy wood. Sure, the stock is cheap but so are laminate replacements. It has a fabulous trigger (same as the Savage). The barrel nut isn't bad looking and does keep the cost down. To top it off, it's stainless steel. It also is the most accurate gun I've ever purchased.

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #37  
243 bolt action single shot, youth model might be a good choice.

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #38  
I recently bought a Savage model 93R bolt action package deal with Bushnell 4x9 scope in .17HMR for varmit shooting. It has the heavy bull barrel and is extremely accurate. In .243, .270 or .308 it would be a great deer rifle.

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #39  
I have a Browning BAR in 243 and that is the sweetest shooting gun I own. My wife doesn't hunt but will go to the range with me and shoot that gun all day. I have loaned that gun out many times for kids to use during the youth hunt here in Michigan and none of them have missed with it. It is the perfect caliber in my opinion for deer and lighter game.