Mowing Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #1  

Larold

Tractor
Long 460 45HP
I have a small brush mowing business and am looking to upgrade to a 20 foot batwing. Min HP is 90 on the model i am looking at. I need a tractor that is light because it will have to be trailered constantly. The only job it will ever do is mowing. THX

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #2  
I don't know what you consider "light" but most tractors in the 90 hp range will weight over 10,000 lbs by the time they are "wet". And then you add the weight of the batwing mower. If you are adding a FEL - that can easily add 2200 - 2500 lbs in 90 hp range.

Your best bet is to check out what is available at local dealers or check the spec sheets on various tractor web sites.

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #3  
I think kubota is going to be lighter than a deere. Those are the only two I'm familar with. I'd say it'll be close to 2k lbs

Brett

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #4  
The Kubota 108s weighs 8576lbs,the 9960 is 6610,both 4wd cab models by tractordata.My neighbor has a BH 20ft and it is big and heavy,pulls it with NH TS135.Both make my NH TL100 and 15ft look small,setting side by side. image.jpg
What 20ft are you looking at? Weight is an issue when get into mowers that size and having a tractor that will own it,unless just on flat ground in my opinion is going to be more in the 8+ range. And to add he bogs the 135hp tractor often(I don't know his pto HP)whole different ball game then a 15ft in the heavier duties,all depends what your in the business of mowing.

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab
Thx for the quick responses. Im still pretty new to the tractor scene so I dont have a lot of knowledge on the different models. Im trying to come in at 11k total lbs to avoid having to deal with D.O.T. regulations but it looks like a 90 HP tractor is going to weigh too much. Guess ill have to go down to a 15 foot bush hog. They require 60 HP min. Can anyone recommend a tractor with 60+ HP that also has a steel cab? I cant afford a new one so a model around 20+ years old is probably going to be in my price range. THX

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab
I was originally hoping to maybe find a tractor that was designed specifically to pull a bush hog and be as light as possible for trailering.

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #7  
Are you looking at a cab tractor,do you won't 4wd,loader?

The 15ft you looking at a medium duty? Just trying to get a weight on mower.

Price range?

Last edited:
   / Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #8  
Deutz-Fahr makes a F Ecoline 420 that is 4wd, has a low profile cab and AC, has 96HP and weighs 7012 lbs. It is an orchard/vineyard tractor, so the cab is a little snug. This tractor has 4-wheel hydraulic brakes and front and rear diff locks. It's a light tractor for the HP.

Or go with the larger frame Agrofarm 420 in an open station (no cab) at 99HP and it weighs 7716 without weights. It has a rear three-point lift capacity of 9480 lbs. Also has 4-wheel brakes, front and rear diff locks. This tractor is normally configured with a 20+20 wet clutch power-shift. It puts out 90HP at the PTO per the spec sheet, and we see closer to 95HP-99HP on our PTO dyno...and if you are mowing, it is PTO HP that you care about. Engine HP means little to you. This is a very, very sweet tractor. This tractor can be had with a full size cab or a low profile cab, or open station. Obviously the cabs weigh more. And you will probably want front weights. You can also get an eco PTO, where you run the engine at a lower RPM and still put out 540 at the PTO shaft. That is good if you ever run a smaller mower or are mowing stuff that hardly needs to be mowed. It has other features like a memory RPM setting, you push a button and it goes to a preset RPM.

Deutz-Fahr is imported and sold in the USA via Bavarian Tractor Works. As a low volume distributor of mostly specialty tractors (orchard, vineyard) , one benefit has been that they are able to bring in Tier III tractors for a little while longer. So you get a brand new tractor without the added complication and expense of the Tier IV controls. Quality on these German designed and European built tractors is excellent. They are not cheap, however.

See if you have a dealer nearby. If so, it is worth checking these out.

I do think that Kubota is also a good option. The M108 puts out 96 PTO HP and is not overly heavy. That is a reliable tractor with a huge dealer network.

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #9  
I think you will be better off going with a smaller mower and tractor to try and stay under dot if that's your main concern. I have seen alot more landscaping type pickups being pulled over this summer by the dot because businesses are trying to run without dot numbers. I'm all for skirting the law when it's unnecessary but if you are running a business and are planning on running down the highway, you might want to look into what the requirements are vs what the fines will run you.

If you are mowing commercially, I would basically run through tractordata.com and look up the PTO hp that you need and not the advertised flywheel hp that everyone touts now in their ads. The john deere tractors around the hp you are looking at will out weigh the kubota by atleast 1500lbs. Do you have to have 4wd? If you are mowing on hills, you are going to have to add wheel weights and possibly suitcase weights?

/ Lightest Diesel 90 HP tractor with cab #10  
RedNeck, we are seeing the same in California. CHP/DOT are pretty determined to catch up with all the heavy pickup haulers and Hot Shots. Every state is different, but in CA most newer 1-tons are technically required to go through the scales and run numbers. There are exceptions for RV's and horse trailers to some extent. A guy needs to meet with the DOT folks in his state and figure it all out. Sometimes length will put you under regulations, not just weight. And sometimes it is just best to get the CDL, get the numbers and run the larger trailer/tractor/mower.