Like This BL4690

/ Like This BL4690 #1  

Jackrabbit_Slim

Silver Member
Tractor
B2710
I've been cutting a trail through the bush at the back of my place to: a. get to the property line to fence and b. do some ditching to deal with a drainage problem.

The annual monsoon abated three or four days ago, the temperature fell to just below freezing and we have about 3 inches of frost in the ground. I decided to take advantage of this and pull stumps.

Attached is a picture of an average sized Alder with a stock cane for reference. This is my first real outing with the BL4690 on my B2710, and I'm really happy with it. I've asked it to do a lot, and it's performed well. I do, however, have some concerns about the stress I'm putting on the tractor. Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be welcome.

Slim

Attachments

• 559435-Stump 02 (300 x 400).jpg
    559435-Stump 02 (300 x 400).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 563
   / Like This BL4690 #2  
If you've progressed to the point where you're smooth on the controls, I don't think you'll damage the tractor. It's the banging and bucking bronco movements we all go through in learning to use back hoes that are hard on the machines. I'd say the back hoes are made for this kind of work. Hard work is ok, just so long as it's done smoothly.

I've got the smaller B4672A 'hoe on my B7610. My hard use is in digging up boulders in the not quite decomposed granite soil we have here in the Sierras. I follow the caution in the manual about not using the side of the bucket to move material around. Other than that just dig.

/ Like This BL4690
Thanks, Dave. I'm glad to hear that a little bucking around is part of the learning curve. It was a lot better at the end of the day than first thing in the morning. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm pretty sure that there have been times when someone said, "That guy's left hand doesn't know what his right had is doing." Sure glad nobody was around to see themselves proved right. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Slim

/ Like This BL4690 #4  
Slim,
I have dug up a bunch of stumps with my B7500 with a 4672 BH. I have really pushed it and seen no signs of wear. I have replaced the bushing on the top link a few times, but that is all. It is a wearing part and should be replaced fairly regularly, otherwise it can mushroom and be difficult to remove. I have attached a pic on one of the stumps I've removed. People knock the 3pt BH, but it has done everything I've asked of it.

Greg

Attachments

• 560037-TractorStump3.jpg
    560037-TractorStump3.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 358
   / Like This BL4690
Wow! That's not a stump, Greg! That's a career! Well done!

Thanks,

Slim

/ Like This BL4690 #6  
Slim, I've sent you a few tips via PM here on Tractor-by-net.

Dave

/ Like This BL4690 #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Slim,
I have dug up a bunch of stumps with my B7500 with a 4672 BH. I have really pushed it and seen no signs of wear. I have replaced the bushing on the top link a few times, but that is all. It is a wearing part and should be replaced fairly regularly, otherwise it can mushroom and be difficult to remove. I have attached a pic on one of the stumps I've removed. People knock the 3pt BH, but it has done everything I've asked of it.

Greg
)</font>

Greg, which bushing is the top link bushing? Boom, dipper, bucket, or swing, I'd guess the piston cylinder bushing on the bucket as the one that takes the most wear. How many back hoe hours on it when you replace it?

Dave

/ Like This BL4690 #8  
Dave,
I should have been more specific... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I was talking about the bushing on the top link on the 3pt. I replace the pin and bushing as needed, depending on how hard I have used the BH. They will roll out and get visibly thinner with age. I can remember Henro had a post where his ended up egg shaped and he had a heck of a time getting it out.

In a little over 2 years, I am on my 3rd one. I have about 360 hours on my tractor and probably close to half(?) those hours are BH use.

Greg

/ Like This BL4690 #9  
Ah ha. My 4672 backhoe manual (which is the same manual as for your 4690) says the pins supplied with the backhoe are hardened and should be kept with the backhoe when separated (to keep from losing them).

I bought another set of pins for use with each of the two other implements I have. So far, with about 30+ hours of backhoe use and 60 hours on the tractor, I can't see any problems with my "backhoe" set of pins. I suppose any use with the backhoe on the tractor will wear these out. Pretty much all but a few hours of my tractor operation has been with the backhoe on, so I ought to figure the 60 hours on the pins.