Limb saw for front end loader?

/ Limb saw for front end loader? #1  

DogT

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2020
I've been watching the 'Red Green Show' too much, so I thought what the heck. How about some sort of saw I could easily attach to one side or the other on my JD 145 loader bucket? I was thinking an electric reciprocating saw with replaceable blade might work, of course a hydraulic rotary saw would be ideal, but the electric one sounds easy to do, just a saw, some wires, switch and some sort of mounting. Reason I'm thinking of this is I have a long board fence, about a mile worth, that's nearly all next to the woods. It's taken me 30 years to beat a path around the outside with the 2020, but the tree branches keep growing over the path and at my age I just don't take to carrying the chain saw around to whack off limbs so easy any more. Anyone see anything like this or is an electrik saw just not up to the task? I'm only talking about maybe 3-4" limbs here at most. I could use it down the driveway too which is over a half mile through the woods. Hair brain idea?

/ Limb saw for front end loader? #2  
   / Limb saw for front end loader? #3  
I did it with a electric saw and it works good. The thing you have to do is make sure it's spring loaded for down pressure and to one side. If you don't spring load it you well brake the saw or mount. When you are way up in the air a little lever movement goes a long ways.

/ Limb saw for front end loader?
What kind of electric saw? Yeah, I can see about the spring load.

/ Limb saw for front end loader? #5  
I don't know that, got it at a sale. Those are all about the same. Come to think of it, it could be a skil. I would just get a used one that runs good. Keep the chain good and sharp it well cut. 90% is in the chain to how well it cuts.

/ Limb saw for front end loader? #8  
I am 67 Y.O.,, and I ordered one of these a month ago,,,

Amazon.com : BLACK+DECKER LPP12 2-Volt Lithium Ion Cordless Pole Saw, Includes 2v Battery : Power Pole Saws : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I last just about as long as the battery,,,
in a few outings, I have done more than a mile of driveway and fences.

I am still on the original chain, never sharpened,,, it cuts GREAT.

I drive around with my 4X8 trailer behind the tractor, cut, and load.

This load is blackberries, but, it is the same thing,,,

003a1335-b0fb-4659-82c0-dcda7dc23262_zpsopr0q5qx.jpg

The saw is amazing,,,

/ Limb saw for front end loader?
I like that hedge trimmer. But it reminds me of the day I was watching a fellow with a regular bush hog on the back of his Ford tractor, one of the blades broke and went completely through his rear tire with fluid going all over the place. That was the end of his mowing for that day. I don't think we ever found that piece of blade.

I thought about using my Rigid Sawsall mounted to the corner of the bucket somehow, but that thing is 120V and be real hard to mount. It would probably work though if I could get it spring mounted and a big enough converter. I really didn't want to even approach $2000. One of those limbonators would have been real handy over the past 30 years though. I'll keep my eye out for some kind of electrik saw. I'm 73, so big projects like all day limb whacking doesn't last too long for me, my arms just can't hold that chain saw up high very long any more. That B&D doesn't look bad for what it is and the price.