Lime in a Dog Kennel

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #11  
It requires some time in contact to cause a burn. If an animal just walks through it, and then into the grass or whatever, it is effectively washed off. But if an animal gets it on their fur, lays down and it gets damp, it will slowly eat their skin up. If you want to conduct an experiment, dust some on your hands, put on a pair of damp gloves, and then examine in a few hours. You should have a pretty good chemical burn started.

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Don't people lime their yards? When they do, is that too, an issue for animals? If so, how long afterwards might one be cautious about yard animals? )</font>

Thart's done with crushed limestone, crushed seashells, or something similar; calcium carbonate. That's not caustic.

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ( Don't people lime their yards? When they do, is that too, an issue for animals? If so, how long afterwards might one be cautious about yard animals? )

Thart's done with crushed limestone, crushed seashells, or something similar; calcium carbonate. That's not caustic. )</font>

Does this type of lime not work to reduce odors? What kind was/is used in outhouses?
I know of a breeder/kennel owner that spreads lime down in his yard and washes it in with a bleach-water mixture. Bleach and water is an effective disinfectant and kills many viruses. A good ratio is 4oz/gal of water. The important thing is to let it dry before letting the dogs back on the area. I'm not sure what type lime he uses, though, so maybe it's the bleach doing all the odor removal if it's the calcium carbonate kind.

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #14  
I use the bleach and water solution in my kennel. I use about one quarter bleach to three quarters water and apply with a pump up two gallon sprayer. This will remove odors and kill all kinds of bad stuff. Let it soak in and dry some before letting the dogs on it.