Limestone slabs

/ Limestone slabs #1  

dooleysm

Platinum Member
My inlaws own a construction supply house. They moved to a larger building last spring and after moving most of the everyday supplies, have been slowly moving the less frequently used stuff to clean up the old business site.

I was down there last weekend with my brother in law and we uncovered several pallets of limestone slabs. These were used in a style of home construction that is not popular around here anymore. You may have seen houses that have limestone block for the bottom 2-3 feet of the exterior and then brick for the top part. These limestone slabs we uncovered were the pieces that made the border between the limestone block and the brick.

They are all about 3" thick and come in various lengths. Many are about 3-4 feet long and maybe 6-8 inches wide.

Any ideas on what a guy could do with these? Anyone near southern Indiana want them? I know I could get you a great deal on them.

I thought about maybe trying to construct an outdoor barbecue pit. So far, that's about my best idea. Another idea was to try to construct benches out of them, but I'm not sure how I could do that. Or, what I would do with a bunch of stone benches.

/ Limestone slabs #2  
dooleysm,

They would make great plant bed edgers.

Be a PITA to set but once in place they ain't going anywhere.

I just put in 500 or so edgers at 15 pounds each. They are easy to make curves out of and sure look good. The curvey wavey lines do look better than straight lines for some reason. But I could use what you have for sure. Too bad I some far away.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Dan

/ Limestone slabs #3  
Here in the Northeast, they use granite curbs instead of poured concrete...

That may be one use for them...

/ Limestone slabs #4  
Someone doing a landscaping project could use them as edging, short retaining walls for small elevation changes, steps, pathways, etc. You would probably pay well for those at a landscaping supply house.

/ Limestone slabs #5  
I'm getting ready to do some landscaping projects this spring and I'd also like to cover the porch off the back of my house and I will most likley be buildng a 3'-4' perimter wall of stone or brick around the area to be covered.
Southern indian isnt too far from me, do you have any pictures of these slabs? What kind of prices are we looking at?

You can email them to me if you want.

/ Limestone slabs
I don't think there's enough to build a wall like you're talking about. I will try to get some pictures of them. I drove by them this afternoon again. The slabs are closer to 6-8 feet long.

/ Limestone slabs #8  
Pet headstones.

/ Limestone slabs #9  
You could make a miniature Stonehenge on your front lawn!

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Limestone slabs #10  
I'm looking at building a wall about 15' long and maybe 3' high at the highest with something like you are talking about.