Rake "Limited" Cat 1 landscape rake

/ "Limited" Cat 1 landscape rake #21  
No problem. No argument either. You brought up the Kubota BX. Just saying that while the BX has limited height capability due to being low to the ground, the spacing is not limited to Cat 0. I discovered to my chagrin, that the spacing is NOT limited to XB 20" spacing. Milkman was kind enough to instruct me gently that if one loosens the keeps, you know, those awful turnbuckles :)D), that the spacing goes to over 31". Thus Cat 1. It certainly has the lift capacity for most Cat 1 implements as well.

So, no argument. If you consider the height issue as being of the nature of Limited Cat 1, then that's fine with me.

Personally, the XB type implements, for the most part, are well suited for the BX. It's just that many guys prefer heavier duty implements and go for the full Cat 1.

/ "Limited" Cat 1 landscape rake #22  
Not to beat a dead horse here, which I found out this discussion is. It has been bantered about on the site since 2003. Here's the thread that started in the JD forum regarding the JD2210. I'm not sure if it is the "thread" since I really don't know how to refer to a thread. But a google search for limited cat1 hitch brought this to the top. It even has the measurements that constitutes the differences between a cat0 and a cat1. It's a good read.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/20740-limited-cat-1-cat-1-a.html

/ "Limited" Cat 1 landscape rake #23  
To clear the air, I actually prefer the XB type implements on a subcut. In the photo below, you see a huge King Kutter rake on my machine, and yes, it works, after a kind. But, I dislike over sized implements and the OP's conundrum is fairly common. When seeking implements of all kinds that better suit the subcut, it is difficult to find the features and qualities that one seeks. And one last pet peeve. The prices on the XB sized implements are often as high or higher than larger, heavier implements, even though they are made of substantial less iron.

/ "Limited" Cat 1 landscape rake #24  
If you get the LRC60 make sure you get it without the reflectors on top. This keeps it from rotating around. Other than that it is a great rake.

/ "Limited" Cat 1 landscape rake #25  
I'm coming late to the discussion here, but I have an AgriFab rake, and it has worked for me. These are definately not the top of the line for quality, but seem to be a good fit for for a SCUT. I would think any tractor that comes with a "limited" Cat.1 hitch would not be so large that it puts excessive stress on an implement.

I have a rear angle blade from AgriFab too. I've pushed snow for two years now, and it's still going strong.

/ "Limited" Cat 1 landscape rake #26  
I'm trying to think of a time I would need to turn my rake around 180 degees. As long as I have gauge wheels, I cannot come up with a scenerio that would require me to do so. Or at least I haven't to date. Anyone else find this to be true? That's kind of the selling point to the gauge wheels. You can fine turn the height of the rake to do pretty much anything you want it to do. Or am I missing something here?

/ "Limited" Cat 1 landscape rake #27  
I'm trying to think of a time I would need to turn my rake around 180 degees. As long as I have gauge wheels, I cannot come up with a scenerio that would require me to do so. Or at least I haven't to date. Anyone else find this to be true? That's kind of the selling point to the gauge wheels. You can fine turn the height of the rake to do pretty much anything you want it to do. Or am I missing something here?

I think I will always be confused as to the "science" behind gauge wheels. Mind you, I have never used one but, I don't get how the gauge wheels overcome the mountains and valleys.??....Unless the top link on the 3pt. hitch is not connected.

As to the gauge wheels setting a height....I can do that with my 3pt. hitch.

Can someone get technical with me so that I understand how the gauge wheels improve the finished product.?? And....How does a rake with wheels hook up to the 3pt. hitch.??

/ "Limited" Cat 1 landscape rake #28  
I think I will always be confused as to the "science" behind gauge wheels. Mind you, I have never used one but, I don't get how the gauge wheels overcome the mountains and valleys.??....Unless the top link on the 3pt. hitch is not connected.

As to the gauge wheels setting a height....I can do that with my 3pt. hitch.

Can someone get technical with me so that I understand how the gauge wheels improve the finished product.?? And....How does a rake with wheels hook up to the 3pt. hitch.??

I'll give it a shot. There is no down pressure on your 3pt hitch. When your arms are lowered, you can pick them right up. So when the front of your tractor goes up and down with the contour for land. A rake with gauge wheels will not. The wheels prevent it from doing so. The wheels are strong enough to lift the 3pt lift arms of your tractor and maintain the rake at the set position. Since the wheels can lift the lift arms, the rake hooks up to your 3 pt. just like any other attachment with a normal top link. Does that make sense? I suffered for years without the gauge wheels since they cost half again as much as the entire rake. Now that I have them, it is like a whole different tool. Before I had to go really slow and constantly adjust the height of the rake as to whether I was going up over a bump or down the other side, since the rake followed the bobbing or rocking action of the tractor. And no matter what I did, I always seemed to end up with areas that had a wash board affect. And it seemed the more times I went over it, the more pronounced the wash board became. So I would try to go at an angle. But in a driveway that's tough to do. With the wheels, I set it, and forget it. You don't even need to look back at it. Because no matter what the front of your tractor is doing, the rake with gauge wheels will always maintain its setting. As long as I have a crushed rock driveway, I will always have a rake with gauge wheels.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
   / "Limited" Cat 1 landscape rake #29  
Ah huh. That does help. I am 50% of the way to understanding.:D

Now, what happens to the rake when the front of the tractor dips down.?? Wouldn't it lift up.?? No.??:confused:

You're are making it clear to my thick head.....

I want gauge wheels but I need to understand them better before I jump.

Thanks Achers.

/ "Limited" Cat 1 landscape rake #30  
Ah huh. That does help. I am 50% of the way to understanding.:D

Now, what happens to the rake when the front of the tractor dips down.?? Wouldn't it lift up.?? No.??:confused:

You're are making it clear to my thick head.....

I want gauge wheels but I need to understand them better before I jump.

Thanks Achers.
No. Since the gauge wheels hit the ground long before your 3pt arms are all the way down. If you just go ahead and push the 3pt control lever all the way down as if you wanted the arms to go all the way down, then when the front of the tractor goes down, it pivots on the rear wheels and the lower lift arms sink down as well. Once the front of the tractor starts on it's way up, the tractor will again pivot on the rear wheels, but since the gauge wheels are on the ground, it lifts the 3pt arms back up and on and on ya go. Thus almost entirely eliminating the dreaded wash board driveway.
There is of course the physical limit of travel based on your tractors 3 pt. But for most little dips or rises in a driveway, they will go unnoticed and smooth them out.

If you haven't priced them yet. Go ahead and do so. That may help you decide as well.