Limp Bucket and etc

/ Limp Bucket and etc #1  

Scrounger

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
After doing a search I'm not finding what I'm looking for. I have a limp bucket on the BX and I've noticed a general lack of FEL / BH capability overall. No leaks that are noticeable after an inspection and my fluid level is fine. The fluid level has not dropped either.

Could I have a leak that only happens under load?

I'm looking for things to check so I dont have a loaded bucket that is all floppy.

/ Limp Bucket and etc #2  
For the limp bucket, do a search for "captivation".

/ Limp Bucket and etc #3  
Matthew,

You've probably already checked this, but you're sure you don't have any air in the cylinders?

/ Limp Bucket and etc #4  
Air is a good thought.
Hold the joystick at each position (up/down/dump/curl) til you put strain on the hydraulics for 15-30 seconds in each position. This usually helps to get the air out of the lines.
Let us know if this works.

/ Limp Bucket and etc #5  
Ewwww, I hate when my bucket goes all floppy...

You may have a pressure relief valve that is stuck open. This happens once in a while. There are probably 2 in your tractor. One for the loader and located in the control valve and one on the bh and located in it's control valve. (there may be a 3rd for the system located under the seat on in a block somewhere. You can run the tractor for a while using the loader to it's limits. After a bit feel the contol valves around the relief's. If they are stuck open, they will feel pretty warm to hot.

Or just take them out and look....

jb

/ Limp Bucket and etc #6  
Check the 3ph lever to make sure it's not a little bit off center, this has caused many bx owners headaches, me included.
JerryG, I do find the conversaation around here "captivating" at times, I think you wanted him to search for "cavitating" or "cavitation"
:D:D
Sorry just couldn't help it.

/ Limp Bucket and etc #8  
I wrote this a while back and looked it back up.

The dump cylinders are captivating. They do that when the weigh in the bucket pulls the bucket down faster than fluid is going into the backside of the cylinder. Air separates from the fluid and causes the slow down. A regenerative valves will eliminate it almost entirely if the lever is put directly into the regenerative position when you need to dump. If you use the regular dump position to start and then go to the regenerative position, then the separation has already taken place and the slow down is already set up. If a heavy load is in the bucket it is important to go directly to the regenerative position if you want to dump fast and over come this lag.

/ Limp Bucket and etc
So far with the lever held in every position for 15 to 20 seconds, no improvement in the floppy bucket when loaded. Not sure if the BX even has a regenerative valve. Also, how do you know if you have air in the cylinders, can you bleed them like brakes on a bike or car? So far the manuals have been pretty useless. This is not a show stopper for the tractor, but I'd like to figure out if a fix is possible.

A dealer trip is out of the question, that would be a several hundred dollar diagnostic trip for sure.

/ Limp Bucket and etc #10  
Not sure if the BX even has a regenerative valve. Also, how do you know if you have air in the cylinders, can you bleed them like brakes on a bike or car?
I think all BXs have regenerative valves at this time. I don't think they did when they were first introduced. The way to bleed the the system is to run the loader up and down and or hold the control to the extreme in one direction for a few seconds. As you do this the air will be purged into the sump.
but I'd like to figure out if a fix is possible.
The easiest way to get rid of most of it was in the last post. You can put a reducing orifice in the lines and that will also take care of the problem. But, that will slow the loader down.
All of this is just the nature of the beast.