Lincoln MIG-Pak 180

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #11  
Welding advice for someone just starting out. Last time I welded was over 30 years ago so I decided to sign up and take a MIG welding course which starts in 2 weeks.

I have a 6.5 acre horse property. JD 2320. I'd like to weld on a receiver hitch tube and hooks onto my bucket. Build/repair/customize 3pt attachments. Repair steel horse gates. I've got 230V available in both garage and barn.

Is a Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 a good choice for general CUT & small acreage welding needs?

Locally Canadian Tire has a sale on till March 30, 2011 offering a Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 bundle for $619.99. The price seems very good.

That's a good question to ask the instructor at your course, actually. It's after the sale expires, but these do come on sale fairly regularly.

Sean

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #12  
I bought the lincoln migpac 180 from Canadian Tire in Winnipeg for around $600 on sale. It seems to work pretty well. But then I went to Air Liquid to get atank of gas and noticed they had the 180c which is supposed to have heavier duty components, plus variable heat settings for only $100 more. I think I would have bought this one instead. I also saw it at Praxair on Regent ave. for around the same price. Rob

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180
Am I correct in the Miller 211 Autoset feature works for solid core welding but you still need to set things manually for flux core welding?

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #14  
?? Now that's a question I never considered before.. I'll have to check my manual, but you may be right.

Sean

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #15  
After checking, the manual doesn't specify not to use Autoset, just says to set the knob to the correct wire diameter. I haven't used flux-core with this welder, only my older 135.

Might be a good question to ask Miller's tech line.

Sean

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #16  
I bought a Lincoln 180C from Praxair on sale for a littler over a grand. I went with the 180C cause I didn't want tapped dials. I wanted the best I could afford and I have welded a 24 gauge tractor hood and a rusted out exhaust pipe up to 3/4 ". I have taught myself welding with it and I am no expert but I am satisfied with it. When you set the joints up like you're supposed to it does a very nice job and gets good penetration. I use C02 as shielding gas.

Nice to hear that it was a good choice.

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #17  
Am I correct in the Miller 211 Autoset feature works for solid core welding but you still need to set things manually for flux core welding?

I have a Miller 211 and yes for flux core you do have to set it up manually. It's no big deal just follow the chart on the inside cover.
Other than that all I can say is it is a great welder and I don't regret spending the cash one bit.:thumbsup:

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180
I have a Miller 211 and yes for flux core you do have to set it up manually. It's no big deal just follow the chart on the inside cover.
Other than that all I can say is it is a great welder and I don't regret spending the cash one bit.:thumbsup:

Thanks for confirming.

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #19  
I have the 180 and love it. I bought it from a welding supply
company. Home depot had the same? welder for less money.
I mentioned this to the gentleman at the supply house and he
said go to home depot and weigh the welder, and then come back.
Couldn't weigh it, but got the heft of it by picking it up-sorta
heavy. Went back and hefted the supply house version. MUCH
heavier. Hmmm. Bought the heavier one. More copper. longer
duty cycle. A nice machine. You have to really screw it
up to get a bad weld.:D

Happy customer!:thumbsup:

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #20  
So does the 180c handle everything from sheet metal to 1/4 mild steel? Best bang for the buck in welders this size? I really wanted to stay around $500 but $700 would push the limit.