Lincoln SA200 help needed in Texas

/ Lincoln SA200 help needed in Texas #1  

TexasFarmer254

Tractor
Oliver 1850, B Farmall, MM M5, MM Z, IH 1466
I have a Lincoln SA200 my dad bought thirty years (I don't know exactly how old because the plate on the generator has been painted over and I can't even see anything stamped into it) ago to use around the farm. We rebuilt the motor then from top to bottom and has run like a top since then, with no more than maybe a thousand hours on it over those years. When we parked it about four years ago, it ran fine but the welds were nothing more than a little crackle... you couldn't lay a nice bead, so we parked it behind the barn and I finished the job with my Miller 220v welder, with the intent of working on the Lincoln when I had time. With the COVID stuff going on, I now have time.

I backed it into the shop Tuesday evening, put a hot battery in it and turned it over, but with no spark. I pulled the magneto off and took off the dust cap and rotar, points, condenser, and timing gear plate and all looked ok. I put a new condenser in and polished the points and put everything back the way I thought it needed to go, but now I don't get any spark and I know I did something wrong. I know it's putting out power because I turned the gear on the back to make sure it "snapped" and when I did that, my left palm was touching the coil tab and it bit me, so I know it's hot. Could I have not coiled the spring enough, or correctly under the gear on the back?

I am attaching pictures of the timing marks and their placement in hopes that someone will see this and tell me where I messed up. I did the work so I am big enough to accept my failure, but I can't learn from this if I don't know where I went wrong. Any advice and input is most welcome.

Attachments

• upclose mag.jpg
    upclose mag.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 128
  • back mag.jpg
    back mag.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 130
   / Lincoln SA200 help needed in Texas #2  
Where is Shield Arc when he is needed?

/ Lincoln SA200 help needed in Texas #3  
a fouled plug could short out the spark to ground, BTDT. and bad brushes could cause the arc current to be weak.. they do wear out..

/ Lincoln SA200 help needed in Texas #5  
Good point, I remember selling brushes for these. pretty major sized brushes. Sold commutator stones too but never used either one.

/ Lincoln SA200 help needed in Texas #6  
I have a Lincoln SA200 my dad bought thirty years (I don't know exactly how old because the plate on the generator has been painted over and I can't even see anything stamped into it) ago to use around the farm. We rebuilt the motor then from top to bottom and has run like a top since then, with no more than maybe a thousand hours on it over those years. When we parked it about four years ago, it ran fine but the welds were nothing more than a little crackle... you couldn't lay a nice bead, so we parked it behind the barn and I finished the job with my Miller 220v welder, with the intent of working on the Lincoln when I had time. With the COVID stuff going on, I now have time.

I backed it into the shop Tuesday evening, put a hot battery in it and turned it over, but with no spark. I pulled the magneto off and took off the dust cap and rotar, points, condenser, and timing gear plate and all looked ok. I put a new condenser in and polished the points and put everything back the way I thought it needed to go, but now I don't get any spark and I know I did something wrong. I know it's putting out power because I turned the gear on the back to make sure it "snapped" and when I did that, my left palm was touching the coil tab and it bit me, so I know it's hot. Could I have not coiled the spring enough, or correctly under the gear on the back?

I am attaching pictures of the timing marks and their placement in hopes that someone will see this and tell me where I messed up. I did the work so I am big enough to accept my failure, but I can't learn from this if I don't know where I went wrong. Any advice and input is most welcome.

I see a problem with the contact on the points. They seem to be way out of alignment and appears to be fouled out. Try filing the arc burn off and aligning the contacts. That may not be the problem but it does need to be addressed.
Those magnetos were notorious for not firing when even a little moisture was present (like a foggy morning). Dry it out good and try again.