Lincoln Tombstone Issue

/ Lincoln Tombstone Issue
When it quits, you might quickly try and take a volt reading between ground clamp and rod holder. I don't know if there is a thermal breaker in there or not. If there is, it might be opening at too low a temperature. I'm thinking this is most likely.

I appreciate all of the responses. I'm going to try some fresh rod first. The volt meter is a good idea. Maybe I can start at the ends then keep moving down till I find it. It's sitting in the corner. My current problem is too many darn projects.

/ Lincoln Tombstone Issue #12  
Yes, too many darn projects! These welders are not complicated. No circuit boards and such. Lincoln is great at offering schematics. Without re-reading the thread, I assume it is a "buzz box", so put meter on AC setting.

/ Lincoln Tombstone Issue #14  
I got my Tombstone from my father, he'd not used it for decades. The trouble i found was the nylon had swelled in the amp selector mechanism so that the contact wouldn't easily slide down and make poor contact. Cleaned contacts and lightly sanded the nylon part so that the copper selector would slide easily.

The part that looks like a L was swollen so the copper part didn't slide easily.
images.jpg

/ Lincoln Tombstone Issue #16  
Don't blame you! I can't seem to let go of my dad's 1963ish Craftsman Radial Arm Saw. Haven't turned it on in over decade.
My dad had one of those radial arm saws too, it had a hard life and among other issues, the on/off switch had been replaced with a toggle switch. I freaked when i saw it sitting high and proud right up on top of the arm. :eek:
Told him to not use it till i could find a safer switch, one where an accidental bump wouldn't turn it on.

/ Lincoln Tombstone Issue #17  
I am a bit puzzled as to why the age or condition of the electrode would cause the welder to quit? Seems like a piece of coat hanger wire would strike and arc. I'm just asking because I don't understand.

/ Lincoln Tombstone Issue #18  
I can't see it quitting outright either.

/ Lincoln Tombstone Issue #19  
Swamp gas doesn't help much either!

I can see a damp rod being difficult to strike or weld nicely with, but once you get started, doesn't it dry out pretty quickly?

/ Lincoln Tombstone Issue #20  
Too much satchable reactance interferes with the dielectric constant of the vapor pressure in the rods. :thumbsup: Yep, that's it!

Well I knew that was the problem but just couldn't put it into words. :)