Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $?

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #21  
So what is different with Gas? And what is the difference between using straight argon and using a mixed gas? QUOTE]

With gas, there is almost no weld splatter to cleanup. There is no smoke residue from the flux core to clean off the workpiece. The weld bead has no slag to remove to show a nice clean weld. The gun runs a little cooler with gas flow thru it. With flux core, I use a wire brush and a wire wheel on a die grinder to clean the welds. With gas, there is pretty much no cleanup.

Both flux core and gas shielded, like traditional stick welding, are succeptable to winds breaking the weld shield gas and contaminating the weld before the molten pool solidifies, so wind is to be avoided in all welding situations...

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #22  
If you use a mig gas makes sense why would anyone use flux core wire? I use mixed gas in a 300 cu ft bottle.

If I am welding flux core then stick is more appropriate. I am no pro welder by any stretch but one thing I do know is the better the bead is the easier the slag is to remove. Holes and craters with rough surfaces in the welds tie in the slag making it hard to remove. If you can maintain a smooth puddle with even tie in to each side the slag will fall off with little effort on your part.

Steve

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $?
I'm still looking for opinions on welding gas.

Straight Argon?
CO2 mix?
Three way mix?

I have to run some errands tomorrow in town, and I'll probably take the bottle to get it filled then.

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #24  
I'm still looking for opinions on welding gas.

Straight Argon?
CO2 mix?
Three way mix?

I have to run some errands tomorrow in town, and I'll probably take the bottle to get it filled then.

Straight Argon is for aluminum.
CO2 and CO2 mix (C25 75% Argon and 25% carbon dioxide) is for steel
Tri mix is for stainless.
The C25 will give you a better looking bead with less splatter. CO2 will give you slightly more penetration and more splatter.
Flux core burns hotter and will give you a little more penetration.
I use 100% Argon for aluminum and C25 for steel.
Here is a web site that shows some advantages of the different gases.
Gas Selection

Joe

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #25  
I agree with GI Joe on the gas selection and uses. I use mixed gas for mild steel.

BTW, if you don't need portability with the gas bottle you should check the refill price of the different sized bottles, I use the larger 300 bottle as the refill is only $1.30 more than the smaller ones.

Steve

I agree with GI Joe on the gas selection and uses. I use mixed gas for mild steel.

BTW, if you don't need portability with the gas bottle you should check the refill price of the different sized bottles, I use the larger 300 bottle as the refill is only $1.30 more than the smaller ones.

Steve

How much more is the bottle? I like the idea of getting more gas for the money, but buying a new bottle may defeat the savings.

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #27  
How much more is the bottle? I like the idea of getting more gas for the money, but buying a new bottle may defeat the savings.

If you have an account with them, they may give you a deal on the up size, or they will take your old bottle and some cash for the up-size.

If you have an account with them, they may give you a deal on the up size, or they will take your old bottle and some cash for the up-size.

I had my little bottle filled this afternoon, but I asked them about trading up. The cost of trading up vs. the savings on a bigger bottle is such that I'll make up the difference on the second fill-up. Next time I fill it I'm definately trading up.

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #29  
Stopped by a local welding shop for the first time today to ask about 115v mig welders...

Turns out the owner and my brother were on the same basketball team in grade school 35 years ago.

He had a used Lincoln 100 and told me to take it home for a couple of weeks and it I liked it... give him $200.

I was asking about the miller 140 and he didn't have one at the moment. He had a like new Miller passport dual voltage mig for $1200... a little more than my budget.

Never would have expected to walk out the door with nothing more than my phone number...