Link to homebuilt tractor cab, Kubota L3000

/ Link to homebuilt tractor cab, Kubota L3000 #11  
All I have to do is build a new door for my cab and it will be all sealed up for winter/ It has hit -2 celcius here at night for the last week.

/ Link to homebuilt tractor cab, Kubota L3000 #12  
Very nice! And looks like it would be fun to build. Dam* shame the professional auto body messed up the color.
I think semi gloss black looks best for a cab,especially with tinted glass...I guess ,to me, it looks more streamlined/factory.But at the same time....I really like yours.....I'm fickle :D

/ Link to homebuilt tractor cab, Kubota L3000
Very nice! And looks like it would be fun to build. Dam* shame the professional auto body messed up the color.
I think semi gloss black looks best for a cab,especially with tinted glass...I guess ,to me, it looks more streamlined/factory.But at the same time....I really like yours.....I'm fickle :D

I have to admit that the color being wrong as it turns out was as much my fault as anyones. I had told the body man that there was only one Kubota orange.

I have since read in these forums the earlier Kubotas used a lighter shade of orange. I suspect this is what mine is.

As for the semi gloss black. Had not considered it but you may be right. I use semi gloss black on nearly everything else I build now as it always looks good and is easialy touched up. Find it much easier to get a nice even coat of it on then any other color.

/ Link to homebuilt tractor cab, Kubota L3000 #14  
Read your blog,Roy. Very nice cab.Having built one myself,I know how much time,thought and money goes into the project.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/161314-smallest-4-wheel-drive-bota.html

Spot on with the square tubing.I used 1-1/2" for the main frame and 3/4" for the side and door frames.Used 1/8" wall so it would be thick enough to tap well for fastening stuff to it.I had the door frames made about an 1/8" smaller than the main frame opening,then had 12ga steel sheeting welded to the door frames with about 3/4" overlap,then cut out the window openings with a jig saw.

The cab was also built with storage in mind,as it comes apart in sections and can be stored up against the wall when not in use.

CabProject084.jpg

/ Link to homebuilt tractor cab, Kubota L3000 #15  
Great job on the cab Locknut. 18 or 16 gauge sheet metal would have been more than adequate; but you can tell people it's all part of the ROPS cab design. :thumbsup:

Read your blog,Roy. Very nice cab.Having built one myself,I know how much time,thought and money goes into the project.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/161314-smallest-4-wheel-drive-bota.html

Spot on with the square tubing.I used 1-1/2" for the main frame and 3/4" for the side and door frames.Used 1/8" wall so it would be thick enough to tap well for fastening stuff to it.I had the door frames made about an 1/8" smaller than the main frame opening,then had 12ga steel sheeting welded to the door frames with about 3/4" overlap,then cut out the window openings with a jig saw.

The cab was also built with storage in mind,as it comes apart in sections and can be stored up against the wall when not in use.

CabProject084.jpg

Followed thru on your links and gave a good look. Very nice. Like the way it turned out using the outer steel shell. Having the abilty to take off and hang on the wall would nice.

Mine I have to take loader and stack off and then walk it over the frt. of the tractor, not easy with the glass in it. This summer we simply pulled the pins and removed the door and the right side window. Stayed pretty comfortable with them off.

I found, as I am sure you did it was a mind expanding build, lots of stuff to chew on and work thru. Thanks for the links. Regards, Roy

/ Link to homebuilt tractor cab, Kubota L3000 #17  
Roy Gage

Definitely a nice cab that you have built and can well imagine it making some of those unbearable winter tasks a more pleasant experience. I believe your Dad would have been proud of you.

While I was on your blog site I read all the rest of the stories of your memories and past history growing up. That is something that each of us should be doing so that grand kids and great grand kids will know some of their history. I thoroughly enjoyed reading every bit of it would have read more if there was more. If you ever add to it please let me know as I would like to read it.

Cheers :drink:

Don

Roy Gage

Definitely a nice cab that you have built and can well imagine it making some of those unbearable winter tasks a more pleasant experience. I believe your Dad would have been proud of you.

While I was on your blog site I read all the rest of the stories of your memories and past history growing up. That is something that each of us should be doing so that grand kids and great grand kids will know some of their history. I thoroughly enjoyed reading every bit of it would have read more if there was more. If you ever add to it please let me know as I would like to read it.

Cheers :drink:

Don

Don thank you for the compliment. I do enjoy writing, and sharing it with others. With winter coming on perhaps Ican get some more material on the blog.

/ Link to homebuilt tractor cab, Kubota L3000 #19  
Roy, What a great project and wealth of information. I have a 2000 L2500DT, not the most written about Kubota, and you have solved a host of my problems. Maybe I will be much warmer this next Idaho winter! Thanks for a great write-up! Bill

/ Link to homebuilt tractor cab, Kubota L3000 #20  
Well its coming on to summer this side of th Pacific. I read your article and echo the compliments of my priors on your build and particularly your literary skill! In fact it was motivational. I did a similar job but 'scored' a touchdown with a second hand engineered cab for a fair price on account of the armourplate glass being worth $$thousands$$ here & I need it for safety with tree work.It was designed for an IHI of some sort and All that needed doing was position the crate & create some mounts. Quickly discovered the roll bar could stay if cut & rewelded(I'm certed for arc),so done and MIGed it to mimick the rear cab frame angle is unnoticeable.Other benefits are built in roof mounted fan and front filtered intake and very importantly a windscreen wiper. I'll take a leaf from your book for the headlining as the foam remaining up there rains down on my hat at present. should serve to silence the inherent acoustics. I'll try to load a couple of pics for interested persons. And I Thank You for the motivation to tackle it myself and some nuggets of inspiration provided by your instructional account of your own venture.

Attachments

• Cab 2.jpg
    Cab 2.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 524
  • Iseki TS4010(.jpg
    Iseki TS4010(.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 426
  • Photo021.jpg
    Photo021.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 562