Linked Images

/ Linked Images #1  

RPM

Platinum Member
With all the linked images on TBN using the [image] tag I think we are putting the community in a slightly risky position. I've already noticed that some signatures on old posts are the famous red 'x' in a box as the owner of the graphic on another web-site has moved/erased it.

I fear that some of the tremendously useful pictures posted in response to technical questions will be lost over time. Is there a way to pull them into TBN and keep them on the TBN server? Are there copyright issues / other issues regarding this ... should the practice be discouraged? Should we look for another way to provide the information ...

Just some general thoughts - would be a shame in a year or two to look back at some obviously good posts but not be able to see what was beign discussed.

Guilty as anyone,

Patrick

/ Linked Images #2  
I have noticed that attached pictures in many of the older posts are gone or inaccessible. What causes this? I agree that we are losing valuable info.

/ Linked Images #3  
Over time, links become 'dead' through server changes, directory restructuring, etc. Unless people upload files through the attachment method, there isn't any way to prevent this.

For reference, in our terms of use.... you may not do the following, regarding uploads:

<font color=blue>Upload files that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property laws (or by rights of privacy of publicity) unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consents.

Delete any author attributions, legal notices or proprietary designations or labels in any file that is uploaded.

Falsify the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is uploaded.</font color=blue>

msig.gif

/ Linked Images
I came across this article in the NY Times today regarding just this subject - apparently it's becoming a hot topic ... the general idea of downloading or linking to images without experiencing the whole web-site which they are a part of. The image search engines are the first to feel it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/06/technology/circuits/06IMAG.html

(Requires free registration - but you can put in fake info /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif)

Patrick