Liquid Filled Tire Pressure Gauge

/ Liquid Filled Tire Pressure Gauge #11  
Last edited:
   / Liquid Filled Tire Pressure Gauge #12  
The thing I wonder about air is HOW do you know when one is accurate? Measure it against one or a number of other gauges? Heck - they probably are all a little off. I really don't think there are any gauges, in a reasonable price range, that's dead on accurate.

What I have learned about air gauges is that you want one that covers the range you're shooting for, and a little more. A gauge that goes up to 2000 psi, even if its off only 1% or 2% is a lot of error if you're needing to set your pressure, say at 12psi, etc..

I have several suspect gauges in my shop. The one I reach for is always a digital gauge that is easy to use with one hand. When it starts reading crazy numbers it either gets a new coin-type battery, or it goes in the junk pile. The ones that I won't even wear out my shirt pocket with however, are those pencil type gauges that you can pick up for a buck. They're a waste, even if they were free.

/ Liquid Filled Tire Pressure Gauge
Forget what it was, but I had (probably an old mower) that I bought from my brother in law.... finally needed tires on front. No big deal, I'll just buy some and do it here.... broke the bead and there was a bunch of Slime in there (the Green Slime). Also looked like it or something had molded a bit... was really kind of gross in appearance and then I had to wipe everything down to clean it up.

Wasn't a huge deal but my take on it is, it's more of a band-aid to hide an issue rather than to fix the issue. I'd rather just get a couple new rims for the flexwing, keep it clean and be done.

The thing I wonder about air is HOW do you know when one is accurate? Measure it against one or a number of other gauges? Heck - they probably are all a little off. I really don't think there are any gauges, in a reasonable price range, that's dead on accurate.

What I have learned about air gauges is that you want one that covers the range you're shooting for, and a little more. A gauge that goes up to 2000 psi, even if its off only 1% or 2% is a lot of error if you're needing to set your pressure, say at 12psi, etc..

I have several suspect gauges in my shop. The one I reach for is always a digital gauge that is easy to use with one hand. When it starts reading crazy numbers it either gets a new coin-type battery, or it goes in the junk pile. The ones that I won't even wear out my shirt pocket with however, are those pencil type gauges that you can pick up for a buck. They're a waste, even if they were free.

For me, it's not so much about the accuracy.... plodding around the farm here to cut a field, accuracy isn't that critical. I DO like keeping the tires in my backhoe/loader somewhat where they need to be because of the potential extra load on them when I put some dirt/rocks/other in the bucket....

It's really just the experience I've had with a handful of cheap gauges getting stiff, needle sticking.... and I now have three liquid filled gauges so I can do various pressure checks on my stuff.... and I got to wondering if that style (liquid filled) is even available for an air gauge..... low & behold, you can spend a freaking fortune on one. (I guess I can understand that in competitive racing....but I ain't racing!!)

A while back I was in the market for a digital tire gauge. I purchased one made by Longacre racing though Amazon and have been very pleased with it. I remembered that they had liquid filled gauges:

Longacre Liquid Filled Tire Pressure Gauges

That's the exact one I'm contemplating. I don't want just a checker.....I want to attach it to the air for when I'm using it.

/ Liquid Filled Tire Pressure Gauge #16  
That's the exact one I'm contemplating. I don't want just a checker.....I want to attach it to the air for when I'm using it.

I deleted my post since I realized that you had already posted that gauge earlier. The digital gauge I got from them is made very well. I found out that you can spend as much as you want and more on a tire gauge.

Amazon.com: Longacre 5336 Tire Gauge: Automotive

And I just now ordered it....

So between last night and just now, I've ordered that air gauge that will attach to my compressor.....and last night, ordered two liquid filled gauages to replace those cheapies that are on the compressor.

/ Liquid Filled Tire Pressure Gauge #18  
I recently bought a new tire gauge made in the USA Lifetime Warranty from family run business on Amazon called Rhino USA.
It is not liquid filled but it is very accurate for under $20.00
It is not flimsly, it has some weight to it!!

Amazon.com: Rhino USA Heavy Duty Tire Pressure Gauge (?-75 PSI) - Certified ANSI B4?.1 Accurate, Large 2 inch Easy Read Glow Dial, Premium Braided Hose, Solid Brass Hardware, Best for Any Car, Truck, Motorcycle: Automotive

It looks like a good quality gauge, and I might buy one. But don't be misled by their name. "our products are Designed, Engineered and Lab Tested in the USA but manufactured overseas by carefully selected firms that can build to our specific design specifications." Made in China. I wish they were a little more upfront about this in their advertising.

/ Liquid Filled Tire Pressure Gauge #19  
I bought this one shown below from Harbor Freight. Best I've ever had. Good for liquid filled because of the hose downstream of the gauge. Can blow out the water between tests.

Ralph

Attachments

• Pressure Gauge.JPG
    Pressure Gauge.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 72
   / Liquid Filled Tire Pressure Gauge #20