Listed tractor weights - accurate or conservative?

/ Listed tractor weights - accurate or conservative? #1  

dgeesaman

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I ran the numbers on my TC45DA and trailer setup. It looks like I'll have just a few hundred pounds to spare in capacity, assuming the filled tires are filled lip-lapping full. The numbers I have for the tractor are the listed "shipping weights". In my industry, a shipping weight covers the heaviest possible example, and is above the average. If true, it gives my comfort that a few extra items or full tank of fuel won't put me at risk if I get scaled.

Has anyone compared a factory equipment weight to an actual scaled measurement? How do they compare?

David

/ Listed tractor weights - accurate or conservative? #2  
I know that when I bought my deere, the shipping weight was just the bare tractor. No fluid in the tires, no suit case weight, no aux. brackets. If you are within even 400lbs, I think you need to get a little heavier trailer. A good dose of mud and an extra implement or something else will likely put you over.

/ Listed tractor weights - accurate or conservative? #3  
I always thought shipping weights were with the tractor "dry", meaning no fluids and no battery but that defies logic?

/ Listed tractor weights - accurate or conservative?
I've accounted for filled tires, loader, bucket, and fuel.

If I decided I wanted to haul a heavier load I would also get into changing the hitch to a load-distributing, etc. If it comes to that I'd rather trade it in for a gooseneck of some sort.

David

/ Listed tractor weights - accurate or conservative? #5  
yep.. i see many weights listed as dry weights. add the oily and wet things.. etc..

I found at least one data point: the Nebraska tractor test group did a TC48DA, which is listed at 4315lb unladen. Their tested weight including operator was 4490lb. Assuming a 180lb operator, that's 4315lb with no fuel.

If I assume a full tank fuel was included, then that's 4215lb with no fuel, no operator.

Fuel or not, this data point suggests their published weight ranges between spot on and very slightly heavy.

/ Listed tractor weights - accurate or conservative? #7  
I've accounted for filled tires, loader, bucket, and fuel.

If I decided I wanted to haul a heavier load I would also get into changing the hitch to a load-distributing, etc. If it comes to that I'd rather trade it in for a gooseneck of some sort.

David

and no 3pt implement?

That's correct, no 3pt attach. I'm bringing it home this week as described and if for some reason it needs to go in for service I would be able to leave off either the loader or 3pt implement or both.

Would more capacity be nice - yes - but I'd need to upgrade several items for it to be useful.

David

Last edited:
   / Listed tractor weights - accurate or conservative? #9  
my Kubota ship weight is 4600ibs add the loader cast centers loaded tires im at 8500ibs @dgeesaman you are right up the road from me

/ Listed tractor weights - accurate or conservative? #10  
A lot of the dealer weights I've seen are dry weight (no fuel, oil, etc.) They get from shipping. Makes a big difference with 2 gal of oil, 8-10 gal of hyd fluid, 5 gal of coolant, and 20 gal of fuel. Not even getting into ballast.