Live PTO and Hydro vs nonlive?

/ Live PTO and Hydro vs nonlive? #1  

Pooh_Bear

Platinum Member
Tractor
Early 1949 Ford 8N
I keep seeing the term live PTO and live hydro tossed around.
I thought I knew what these were, but I guess not.
What does this really mean.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

/ Live PTO and Hydro vs nonlive? #2  
Here is a link to TractorSmart's description of PTO types. Click Here
Generally Live PTO and Hydraulics means that they do not stop running when clutch is pushed in.

/ Live PTO and Hydro vs nonlive? #3  
Live hyds generally run any time the engine is on. Thus, if your hydro pump is engine driven, you can step on the clutch and still have hyds. The pump on a 8N is driven by the pto shaft. When you step on the clutch, the pto won't turn ( non-live pto/single stage clutch )., and you have no hyds. To get live pto, tractors either use 2 stage clutches.. or independent pto. For instance.. my 46' 2n and 52' 8n have neither live pto nor live hyds. My 54' NAA has live hyds via an engine pump, but still no live pto. My 55' 660 has a 2 stage clutch giving me live pto, and also has the engine mounted pump for live hyds.

Soundguy

/ Live PTO and Hydro vs nonlive? #4  
Or on our '70 JD4020, it has a live PTO but hyds are not live. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Try to stop with the clutch in and raise the bucket, you're outta luck. -Phillip

/ Live PTO and Hydro vs nonlive? #5  
How is your hydro pump driven? Most common forms are engine driven.. and therefore live.. or PTO driven.. and then that depends on live ( dual stage clutch or idndependent pto ) or non live pto.

Yours some weird tranny driven deal?

Soundguy

/ Live PTO and Hydro vs nonlive?
I have been looking at a conversion kit for live hydraulics.
Front mounted tank and pump couples to the front of the motor.
So far I am not fond of non live hydraulics.
Will wait and see how it goes this summer.

Pooh Bear

/ Live PTO and Hydro vs nonlive? #7  
How is it currently set up?

Soundguy

/ Live PTO and Hydro vs nonlive? #9  
Zane's a nice guy.. I've known him for years. He's an old ford tractor mechanic from a dealership.

His unit works well, but you do have to convert to the new UTF hydro fluid instead of the old 90wt mineral oil to use it. if you have any leaks.. they'll be worse on the new thin ( 20w) utf. Still.. the non live 8n hyds are fine.. I box blade my maneuer ppile and it just takes a bit more coordination. Keep in mind you can always hit neutral, let the clutch out.. do your implement adjustment.. then go.

Soundguy

/ Live PTO and Hydro vs nonlive?
I have a feeling that it won't matter for me.
All I plan on doing is mowing.
So the PTO will be running all the time anyway.
Not sure how much I will have to use the lift with mowing.
Especially if I switch to a finish mower.

Just have to wait and see how it goes this summer.

Pooh Bear