Load Max - Rating

/ Load Max - Rating #1  

ahlkey

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 AgroPlus 87
I just bought at Auction a 2007 Load Max gooseneck trailer that is 25ft flat plus a 5ft dovetail for total of 30ft. It is rated at GVWR at 22,000 lbs overall. It has a 24,000 lb coupler. The question I have is if it would be possible to rate this trailer from the factory with the current axles higher than 22,000 lbs at let's 耀ay 24,000? I have noticed that the PJ gooseneck trailers and others can be rated up to 25% above the axle rating to as high as 25,000 lbs. I almost bought a PJ trailer nearly identical to this one that had the 25K rating? However, I am not sure this is possible with the load max trailer but even getting that 24,000 level would be helpful to me. The previous owner of this trailer registered it in the State of Wisconsin at 26,000 lbs and claimed that he could exceed the 22,000 lbs at times and still be under the proper levels for a gooseneck trailer. However, I would not want to get stopped by the state patrol without the right sticker. Anyone have any experience on this? Attached is a picture of the new edition to my trailer family. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Load Max 007.jpg
    Load Max 007.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 726
   / Load Max - Rating #2  
Most manufactors use differnt % to get gross weight, somewhere between 15% to 25%, as i know PJ trailer they use 19lb I-beam neck and main frame and some manufactors use 14lb Ibeam neck and frame and or 10' and 12' channel iron on the neck, not sure what Load Max uses, but if its 19lb I-beam, 24,000 should not be any problem, I am not sure what or how to figure the load for 14lb I-beam or the 10' and 12' channel iron frames. Hope this helps some.

I have two 12,000lb axles on my trailer and it is rated or should i say under rated at 25,900lbs, for some reason i had to stay under 26,000lbs. And i have the 19lb Ibeam neck and frame.

/ Load Max - Rating #3  
How much are the axles rated for?

Looks like a nice trailer!

/ Load Max - Rating #4  
They look like 10,00lb axles, that gives you 20,000lbs, then you figure the % for tongue weight, and thats how some manufactors either use 15% to 25% over the max axle weight.
By the way ahlkey, thats a nice trailer, i just looked at your trailer up close and seen that you have 12' I-beam, just not sure if its 14lb or 19lb, some trailers when ordering them you can get up to 22lb I-beam.

/ Load Max - Rating
Yes, they are 10K axles. The neck and I-Beams are both 12"-19lbs/ft. I just contacted the dealer where the trailer was originally purchased and he was unsure if he could relabel a little bit higher from the manufacturer. He agreed he is familar with PJ trailers with 10K axles that are rated at 25K but not sure on Load Max. I also heard from him that the two companies are literally across the street from each other and are related brothers. Apparently they originally were one company and even many of the part assemblies are the same. He said he will check on Monday and let me know. In my mind even if I can just get it to 24,000 lbs by upgrading the coupler that would be ok, given I lose some capacity given the weight and the space the gooseneck uses in the back of my flatbed truck as compared to my 14K tag along trailer.

/ Load Max - Rating #6  
The only way I know to re assign a trailer a weight is loose the title. In Indiana what we do is lose the title then apply for a homemade trailer title. You get the paperwork and a VIN # assigned to you. You go to a trophy shop and have a plaque made with the necessary info and affix it to the trailer. After all that is done you have the trailer inspected, by the sheriff and he signs off on it. You take all that back to the DMV and they issue a title with the weight you want on it.

Chris

/ Load Max - Rating #7  
Thats sounds like a good idea what DP said, the way your trailer is made its good for the weight. On your trailer does it have a torque tube??
It looks like this.

Attachments

• PICT0697.jpg
    PICT0697.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 948
   / Load Max - Rating #8  
I upgraded axles on one of my flatdeck trailers from worn out 7k axles to 8k axles mostly for better brakes/etc. I bought the axles through the trailers manufacture. I asked if he could upgrade the trailers GVWR tag. His answer was no. Once he registers the trailers mfg numbers with the state, he can't raise GVWR above that number. He did say he could issue a lower GVWR placard but not a higher GVWR. This was in Oklahoma .

/ Load Max - Rating #9  
I just bought at Auction a 2007 Load Max gooseneck trailer that is 25ft flat plus a 5ft dovetail for total of 30ft. It is rated at GVWR at 22,000 lbs overall. It has a 24,000 lb coupler. The question I have is if it would be possible to rate this trailer from the factory with the current axles higher than 22,000 lbs at let's 耀ay 24,000? I have noticed that the PJ gooseneck trailers and others can be rated up to 25% above the axle rating to as high as 25,000 lbs. I almost bought a PJ trailer nearly identical to this one that had the 25K rating? However, I am not sure this is possible with the load max trailer but even getting that 24,000 level would be helpful to me. The previous owner of this trailer registered it in the State of Wisconsin at 26,000 lbs and claimed that he could exceed the 22,000 lbs at times and still be under the proper levels for a gooseneck trailer. However, I would not want to get stopped by the state patrol without the right sticker. Anyone have any experience on this? Attached is a picture of the new edition to my trailer family. Thoughts?
In a country full of states with varying laws and lots of opinions to go along, there is one absolute.

You cannot exceed your collective tire weight ratings.

/ Load Max - Rating #10  
Yes, they are 10K axles. The neck and I-Beams are both 12"-19lbs/ft. I just contacted the dealer where the trailer was originally purchased and he was unsure if he could relabel a little bit higher from the manufacturer. He agreed he is familar with PJ trailers with 10K axles that are rated at 25K but not sure on Load Max. I also heard from him that the two companies are literally across the street from each other and are related brothers. Apparently they originally were one company and even many of the part assemblies are the same. He said he will check on Monday and let me know. In my mind even if I can just get it to 24,000 lbs by upgrading the coupler that would be ok, given I lose some capacity given the weight and the space the gooseneck uses in the back of my flatbed truck as compared to my 14K tag along trailer.

If your going to buy another coupler, there is one called the load leveler, I believe mind is rated for 30,000lbs, there is a 25,000lb load leveler also.

Here is a pic to give you an ideal, there is a handle on top of the coupler to adjust the height of the trailer.

Attachments

• PICT0655.jpg
    PICT0655.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 840