Loaded or unloaded tires

/ Loaded or unloaded tires #1  

pruntyc

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4110 HST
I read in the manual that my tires on the 4100 calls for different pressure. One calls for 12 lbs, and it says unloaded, then it says 41 lbs loaded. I just don't understand what it is trying to tell me. What does it mean loaded and unloaded, and why so much difference in pressure? That is the read ones. The front ones are different to but not by near as much. Can someone tell me what this means, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Loaded or unloaded tires #2  
I'm pretty sure the manual means "loaded" to mean filled with ballast and the "unloaded" to mean no liquid ballast.

As far as the difference in pressures..that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Please re-read that manual and confirm what your post states.

/ Loaded or unloaded tires
That is what it says. And it says front tires unloaded 12, and loaded 23. I sure don't understand it, I guess I will need to call the dealer Monday. I hope he knows, I'm not sure he will, for he told me it didn't have glow plugs, and I looked and sure enough it does. And the manual says it does to. And on must things he sounds like he knows all about them.

/ Loaded or unloaded tires #4  
I think you will find that what the manual is referring to by loaded is a loader with material and/or a rear implement. You would not increase your tire pressures if you put liquid ballast in them. They should be around 75% full, then re-inflate to the recommended air pressure as per the manual. Same as a pickup truck with LT tires. If you are loaded on either axle, then the tire pressures that are recommend for those tires will be higher. It has nothing to do with the liquid ballast.

I don't know. But I was looking on the web and the only thing I found, was about airplanes. It said you use the unloaded pressure if the tire and wheel is off the plane, but when you put it on the airplane, it is then loaded, because of the weight of the plane. So you go by the pressure that it calls for loaded. If I remember, I'll ask the dealer tomorrow, when I call him, as I have to about some other things.

/ Loaded or unloaded tires #6  
The good news is that you don't have to worry about high speed blowouts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Being a tractor, tire pressure is not as critical as a car. I may get lit up for this, but I'd say just air them up until you like the performance and leave it there.

/ Loaded or unloaded tires #7  
If the manual were referring to the load on the tractor, then the numbers would be about right. Tractor tires are routinely aired up and aired down for the amount of load on them.

I just can't believe anyone would run with only 12 lbs in their tires. I think something is wrong there. To go from 12 to 41 is just too much difference. I'll find out. But also, the tires say max pressure of 40, so the manual is calling for 1 lb over what the tire says.

/ Loaded or unloaded tires #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm pretty sure the manual means "loaded" to mean filled with ballast and the "unloaded" to mean no liquid ballast.

As far as the difference in pressures..that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Please re-read that manual and confirm what your post states. )</font>

As a follow up, if the manual is discussing tire pressure while the tractor is under a load (FEL work, for example), yes, you definitely want to increase the pressure. I didn't when I was moving an old boiler with my Deere 670. For power steering, it was quite difficult. Turned out to be the sidewalls of the front tires were almost flat. I'm lucky I didn't roll the tire off the wheel that day.

But, 41 PSI does seem a bit high. In this case, I suspect the conversion from metric to English measurement may be wrong.

/ Loaded or unloaded tires #10  
Tractors are shipped from the factory with about 39psi (called shipaway pressure). They transport better that way, but it's way too much pressure for daily use. The dealer is supposed to reduce the pressure before he delivers the tractor. The rear tires can go as low as 12 psi if you're doing tillage (like plowing) and need traction. Otherwise I'd keep the rears in the mid-20's and the front's in the mid-30's with a loader.