Loaded tire pressure

/ Loaded tire pressure #11  
   / Loaded tire pressure #12  
i dont think that most liquids could be compressed, at least the ones we use in our tires, so if you put 20 psi in your liquid filled tire then you would have 20 psi in the tire.
Re-read my post...liquid compresses at a much higher pressure than air...adding liquid ballast in your tire essentially decreases the internal volume of the tire as the liquid is not going to compess at a typical tire pressure...it's sort of like you have decreased the size of the tire...if you re-inflate to sidewall PSI or whatever pressure you were running prior to the liquid fill, the tire will not provide as much sidewall deflection as you have now (in theory) overinflated the tire. It will ride much harder. I know based on my personal experience in examining the sidewall deflection before and after fill (fronts only, I was only concerned about loader use) and have settled in on around 10 PSI on the rears and about 12-14 PSI on the fronts. At least that's what my butt and full loader bucket tell me. And as far as liquids being compressed; even mercury can be compressed.

/ Loaded tire pressure #13  
Mustang...The pressure is the same filled or not...period.

The ride is harder because you have more weight and less air doing the cushoning.

the tire deflection is a lil different because you have more weight on the wet tire vs an air filled tire.

take a tractor with air in its rears and one with ballast in them.. the ballasted one weighs more. if you run equal air pressure in both, the ballasted tires squat more because there is more weight on them.

figure the ballasted difference in weight and then add rear axle weights to that tractor with air in it's tires and I bet you will find the tires squat nearly identically.

considering a 13.6x28 tire ballasted with only water adds a whopping 359# per side, not counting ballast material like cacl.. or a heavier liquid like rimguard, that means you are adding a MINIMUM of 718# to that tractor rear... OF COURSE the tires are going to deflect and squat more than the otherwise equal tractor setting next to it at the same psi that weighs 718# less.

That's why it was brought up that you need to compair tire deflection and air pressures with whatever load you normally have on your tractor when you decide if you have enough inflation or not, looking at tire deflection and ground contact patch.

no magic in loaded tires.. just physics... and you need to compair equally weighted machines to compair the sidewall deflection.

soundguy

/ Loaded tire pressure #14  
Re-read my post...liquid compresses at a much higher pressure than air...adding liquid ballast in your tire essentially decreases the internal volume of the tire as the liquid is not going to compess at a typical tire pressure...it's sort of like you have decreased the size of the tire...if you re-inflate to sidewall PSI or whatever pressure you were running prior to the liquid fill, the tire will not provide as much sidewall deflection as you have now (in theory) overinflated the tire. It will ride much harder. I know based on my personal experience in examining the sidewall deflection before and after fill (fronts only, I was only concerned about loader use) and have settled in on around 10 PSI on the rears and about 12-14 PSI on the fronts. At least that's what my butt and full loader bucket tell me. And as far as liquids being compressed; even mercury can be compressed.

We won't be able to prove this one way or another, but I'll bet that you cannot tell whether a particular tractor's rear tires are liquid filled or not by the ride characteristics alone.

The only point I will concede to you is that as the volume of liquid ballast within a tire increases, the volume of compressible fluid (air) decreases.

Elevating (or lowering) the level of discussion here to debating the actual amount a given liquid can be compressed removes the discussion so far from the real world we started in that the thread becomes meaningless. Nobody cares how much that water, or even mercury can be compressed. In my world neither do to a degree that I care about.

/ Loaded tire pressure #15  
Mustang...The pressure is the same filled or not...period.

The ride is harder because you have more weight and less air doing the cushoning.

the tire deflection is a lil different because you have more weight on the wet tire vs an air filled tire.

take a tractor with air in its rears and one with ballast in them.. the ballasted one weighs more. if you run equal air pressure in both, the ballasted tires squat more because there is more weight on them.

figure the ballasted difference in weight and then add rear axle weights to that tractor with air in it's tires and I bet you will find the tires squat nearly identically.

considering a 13.6x28 tire ballasted with only water adds a whopping 359# per side, not counting ballast material like cacl.. or a heavier liquid like rimguard, that means you are adding a MINIMUM of 718# to that tractor rear... OF COURSE the tires are going to deflect and squat more than the otherwise equal tractor setting next to it at the same psi that weighs 718# less.

That's why it was brought up that you need to compair tire deflection and air pressures with whatever load you normally have on your tractor when you decide if you have enough inflation or not, looking at tire deflection and ground contact patch.

no magic in loaded tires.. just physics... and you need to compair equally weighted machines to compair the sidewall deflection.

soundguy
Never said the PSI was different...simple physics...you guys are misunderstanding the point I'm trying to make. Yes, the PSI is the same, but it changes the physical properties of the tire. The air container (tire) is fundamentally smaller (volume). This makes for a smaller interior surface for the pressure to exert on. It does, in essence, create the effect of a smaller tire. It's not that hard to understand...you are overthinking a simple question of physics. I wear a size 11 shoe...it fits my foot...if I try to put my foot in a size 10-1/2, it will fit, but it exerts more pressure over the surface area of my foot and makes it uncomfortable...because I am trying to place the same volume of foot into a smaller vessel.

/ Loaded tire pressure
I'm a little confused. In my middle grade classes I was thought that liquids were, for practical purposes, incompressible.

/ Loaded tire pressure #17  
We won't be able to prove this one way or another, but I'll bet that you cannot tell whether a particular tractor's rear tires are liquid filled or not by the ride characteristics alone.

The only point I will concede to you is that as the volume of liquid ballast within a tire increases, the volume of compressible fluid (air) decreases.

Elevating (or lowering) the level of discussion here to debating the actual amount a given liquid can be compressed removes the discussion so far from the real world we started in that the thread becomes meaningless. Nobody cares how much that water, or even mercury can be compressed. In my world neither do to a degree that I care about.
You'd lose that bet...I CAN DEFINITELY tell the difference between a loaded vs. non loaded tire if the given pressures are the same. That is why I have loaded tires with 10 PSI loaded vs. the 20 PSI that I ran unloaded. Do we all need a group hug or something? LOL.:D

/ Loaded tire pressure #20  
No, I have not.
I know that was a vague point...let me try again. Diesel is a liquid and you know what ignites it in an engine...compression. I wasn't trying to go off topic, but somewhere earlier in the thread there was mention of liquids not compressing. That was incorrect, and this forum stuff is all about learning from one another.