Loaded tires on DK45 with frontend loader??

/ Loaded tires on DK45 with frontend loader?? #1  

country350

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
After much help from members of this great forum I am purchasing a DK45 with a frontend loader. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The dealer offered to load the tires for no cost. Is this a good idea with the front loader. I will also be using this tractor to mow my lawn so I don't want it overly heavy. My farm tractor has loaded tires and it comes in very handy so I don't want to pass up this good offer. What does everyone think?

Thanks!

/ Loaded tires on DK45 with frontend loader?? #2  
I personally would not load them if you're planning on mowing lawn. The tractor is quite heavy as it is, and if you need ballast you can add it to the 3pt. hitch by using an implement weight box etc. Then you can take it off when you don't need it. You can't just unload tires each time. You may find that the DK45 doesn't always need a lot of ballast to do most of the jobs you'll be doing. I know many people swear by loading tires, and in some cases it's just great, but I think if offered the same deal I would decline and see first if it's needed. John

/ Loaded tires on DK45 with frontend loader?? #3  
NOT loading tires is a calculated risk. Of the CUTs I use, one tractor is with loaded tires, one without. When I use the TC24D without loaded tires, I have to be careful what I use the loader for. It is fine alone with stuff like mulch, but if I load the bucket with heavy stuff the rear end is dangerously light unless I hang something off the rear end. For its size, the TC24 is considered moderately heavy to begin with. You must understand that using a FEL without ballast is dangerous and no manufacturer recommends it, ever. If you pass on the loading, you are making a calculated risk that you will use some other ballast. Many manufacturers actually recommend wheel weights or fluid fill AND rear ballast, depending on amount of load you are moving (and I am not specifically referring to the light weight tractors).

IF I only had one tractor/FEL combo, I would fluid fill the tires.

/ Loaded tires on DK45 with frontend loader?? #4  
I don't know how the DK 45 will be.
But my DK 35 came without loaded tires, a few hours of loader work on uneven ground was enough for me (one of the rear wheels trying to constatly lift off the ground).
Loaded the rears with windshield washer fluid and the differance was huge, much, much more stable.
I mow my lawn with my DK 35 with loaded rears with no problem..

/ Loaded tires on DK45 with frontend loader?? #5  
Vince and Bobs advise is very wise. I have a DK50, i have loaded tyre and wheel weights. Beleive me if you rely on putting an attachment on the back every time you use the FEL you will get sick of that. Go for as much weight as you can get .
ENJOY YOURSELF

Just don't carry guns on tractors

PS Hi Bob

/ Loaded tires on DK45 with frontend loader?? #6  
Get the loaded tires!! Your lawn will not know the difference.

I keep saying one of these days I'm actually going to scale my tractor since it is very close by. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm kinda curious as to what exactly it weighs. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

RedDog

/ Loaded tires on DK45 with frontend loader?? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you pass on the loading, you are making a calculated risk that you will use some other ballast. Many manufacturers actually recommend wheel weights or fluid fill AND rear ballast, depending on amount of load you are moving (and I am not specifically referring to the light weight tractors). )</font>
Bob, not trying to start anything, but I'm surprised you would go this way knowing how many times you've advised being as light as possible when mowing.
The poster was emphatic that he wants to mow his lawn with a tractor that already weighs more than any tractor you have. We both know that rutting problems depends greatly on your soil conditions, but you almost always have advocated light. What gives? John

/ Loaded tires on DK45 with frontend loader?? #8  
<font color="red"> The poster was emphatic that he wants to mow his lawn with a tractor that already weighs more than any tractor you have. We both know that rutting problems depends greatly on your soil conditions, but you almost always have advocated light. What gives? </font>

John, this is a simple one, safety comes first. These are dangerous toys we play with. It is easy to lull ourselves into a false belief of confidence and safety, but one little dose of reality is all it takes to tip a tractor on its side (or worse).

As for his lawn, the DK45 is heavy and large, he will have to be mindful of the soil moisture before he ventures out onto the lawn, especially if he has much clay in his soil. Clay ruts and dries like concrete often requiring a box blade to repair the damage. Parts of my yard get really long before I can venture onto it if there has been a good amount of rain. You guys with sand can probably drive tanks across your lawns after the hurricanes go through and not get a spec of damage because your sand soil drains so much better.

/ Loaded tires on DK45 with frontend loader??
I was looking in my manual for my Massey 65 and it actually wieghs more than the DK45. I've got loaded tires on my Massey and I have mowed my lawn several times with it and it only rips up the lawn becase of the ag tires on it. I think I'll be fine with loaded tires. Plus the extra peace of mind is worth it.

/ Loaded tires on DK45 with frontend loader?? #10  
Just for reference, my DK45C weighs exactly 6000# with the loader, dry R4 tires, and me in the seat. Today I went to unload my Rhino BH85 backhoe, purchased from Jon DePratt, off my trailer using quick attach pallet forks. I learned that a 1233# pallet load, all they way back on the forks, will still gently ease the rear tires of the tractor off the ground with no effort on the tractors part. A Bushhog box scraper added to the 3 point solved the problem. All the new CUT's are very powerful tools, reguardless of their weight. The only sure safety device has to be located between the seat and the steering wheel.