Loader Ballast

/ Loader Ballast
Richard, Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to 2nd guess you. Its your judgement call. I just find it interesting how some factory recommendations are stringently adhered to (like lubrication and maintenance) and others are not.
Like I said I seldom have that much weight on the tractor, and then I have to watch my lift limits. Most of the tractors I've been around always had both weighted tires and wheel weights. High gvw like 6000lbs. Maybe its important because of the steep terrain. Doc, I'm curious to what the 460 manual recommends for ballast weight.

/ Loader Ballast #13  
DFB,
I'm at the office right now and I never even really looked too seriously at it but will when I get home and post it to you. There's no doubt that all the safety recommendations should be adhered to. They are there to save lives. No excuse really not to follow them. I can come up with alot, namely time but it's not a valid one.
Richard

/ Loader Ballast #14  
DFB,
Ok with the tires > than 63" from what I can make of the chart it has an x under the box with liquid ballast in rear tires and 6 wheel weights and minimum 3 point ballast of 1320 lb. I don't think I've ever had that much weight and I don't have weight in the tires. That's alot of weight in a ballast box. Anyway I have taken those bales everywhere and never had a problem. I don't even know how I'd get that much weight on my tractor and that is what they have for minimum ballast!! When I want to pick them up high I put the bale forks on the 3 point and put a bale on the back to hold me down to lift them up and over a round bale feeder, but when I just move them I don't do that.

Richard

/ Loader Ballast
Richard, thanks for doing that. If I understand correctly your manual calls for all 3 forms of ballast. Sure is a lot of weight. If you're using a bale for 3-point ballast (1600 lbs) it seems like your meeting the weight requirements. These recommended minimum weights would certainly make it difficult to tip the tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif