Loader bucket wear fix or not?

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #21  
Hello all,

A couple of observations: I have a 870 JD about 15 yrs old (1000 hrs?) with the older JD factory fabricated loader frame (440??) and a newer JD 990 with 330 hrs. on it with the newer JD cast metal loader frame (300 csx??); both tractor loaders use the same JD QA system. The bucket, etc. all seem to fit tighter on the older system than on the newer cast metal one. I have worked my 870 hard, which I purchased new back when, and both factory and home made QA's still don't show much slop. When I got the newer tractor, which had a new JD bucket, I noticed the first time I tipped the bucket back that it had more daylight between the attachment points than what I have on the older system. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? I don't think so, and I don't see in my situation where there is any safety issue with the relative looseness of the newer system. One further point, the cast metal JD loader frame is made in China and has a different geometry than the old fabricated JD frame made in the US and doesn't seem to lift quite as high, even though on a slightly bigger tractor; go figure!!!!

Take care all,

Dave on 40 acres on the Edge of America

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not?
Hello all,

A couple of observations: I have a 870 JD about 15 yrs old (1000 hrs?) with the older JD factory fabricated loader frame (440??) and a newer JD 990 with 330 hrs. on it with the newer JD cast metal loader frame (300 csx??); both tractor loaders use the same JD QA system. The bucket, etc. all seem to fit tighter on the older system than on the newer cast metal one. I have worked my 870 hard, which I purchased new back when, and both factory and home made QA's still don't show much slop. When I got the newer tractor, which had a new JD bucket, I noticed the first time I tipped the bucket back that it had more daylight between the attachment points than what I have on the older system. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? I don't think so, and I don't see in my situation where there is any safety issue with the relative looseness of the newer system. One further point, the cast metal JD loader frame is made in China and has a different geometry than the old fabricated JD frame made in the US and doesn't seem to lift quite as high, even though on a slightly bigger tractor; go figure!!!!

Take care all,

Dave on 40 acres on the Edge of America

...well after the trip to JD dealer, I was looking at a used tractor that had the 200cx loader, same as mine.
It had around 200hrs on it and was had the same amount of gap in it. A old man that worked there, dont know what he did, but seemed to know his JD tractors, ask me if I needed help.

I explained to him what I was looking at and mine was the same. He said I had nothing to worry about.
He said to help slow down the wear, take the bucket off and apply some grease to the areas that move about, then attach bucket, rotate a couple of times and go on with work.

....thanks again to all that have suggested things, etc.,

I still don't like the "wobble" but I'll probally live with it, just in case I add any attachments in future. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about breaking something from the wobble.

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #23  
They all will get a little sloppy, as the loader pins and bushing begin to wear and excessive digging or grading makes them worse (they are loaders, not excavators nor bulldozers).

This is only a true statement when you are referring to the Quick Attach styles that are flat... Westendorf was that original inventor of the quick attach system in the early 70's, launching a patented V-shape coupler that we still use today. No matter how much digging or grading you do, the connection will not wear out and it always stays tight... There is both a manual version that requires you to pull pins, but it locks on automatically when you roll back your bucket and a New Remote Control version that is all hydraulic. We designed them the same so users wouldn't have to switch over all their existing attachments.

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #24  
This is only a true statement when you are referring to the Quick Attach
styles that are flat... Westendorf was that original inventor of the quick attach system in the early 70's,
launching a patented V-shape coupler that we still use today.

Do you mean that Westendorf invented the skidsteer-type bucket quick-attach system?

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #25  
No... Sorry if I was confusing. I was referring to the V-shaped version that doesn't get sloppy and show excessive wear. It is the one we introduced and patented for the loader industry. I remember we had such a hard time convincing people they would want to add a quick attach to a bucket... We had to include it for free with the loader before it took off in the industry. We still do that today.