Loader for forestry trailer

/ Loader for forestry trailer #1  

tree grower

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1210, Bobcat 742B, John Deere 1050
I have nearly convinced myself that I need a forestry trailer (See web sites for Hardy, Patu, etc) as an alternative to skidding my wood. Fabrication of the trailer will be fairly easy with reasonable cost, and a good excuse to buy a new supply of 7018 rod. The challenge is finding a small loader for the front of the trailer. New loaders are in the $15,000 range-too rich for my blood- and I haven't found any place that sells used ones. Used Prentice or Serco loaders for real log trucks are readily available, but I don't want a rig that big. Has anybody built their own, or know where plans can be obtained?

I plan to power it with a PTO-driven hydraulic pump, and it should lift 800-1000 lbs.

/ Loader for forestry trailer #2  
Check out Baileys catalog. Inside are several forwarders that are small in size. There wont be any dimensions, but it should give you some good ideas. The smallest ones can be pulled by an ATV.

/ Loader for forestry trailer #4  
I built this lader from scratch I will lift about a thousand pounds I have used it to load my truck w/logs

Attachments

• Wood Splitter 003.jpg
    Wood Splitter 003.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 2,426
  • MORE STUFF 007.jpg
    MORE STUFF 007.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 7,374
   / Loader for forestry trailer #5  
Have you checked out a Novajack trailer, no hyd but still looks like a good idea

NovaJack

/ Loader for forestry trailer #6  
sizzami, what are the specs on your log loader? size tubing/box used? how do you rotate it once loaded? what you have is probably what i'm looking at building. could use more info. thanks, harold

/ Loader for forestry trailer #7  
3/16 x 2x 4 for boom 3" sched 40 sleeved inside 3 1/2 sched 40 pipe for the mast 1" cr round riding on thrust bearing at the bottom 3/4 thick nylon bushing 6" round for the disc you see in pic to ride on.

Attachments

• splitter 001.jpg
    splitter 001.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,878
   / Loader for forestry trailer #8  

Attachments

• HK335111.jpg
    HK335111.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 4,380
   / Loader for forestry trailer #9  
I think the Bailey's loaders start in the $8k range and are sold separate from the trailers. There are a few other dealers out there (I think listed in the Sawmill Woodlot index on their website) that sell them too but Bailey's are the least expensive.

I spoke to Metavic/Payeur a while ago and they sell fully outfitted loader/trailers starting around $12k but it gets pricey once you option them up.

I built a trailer recently with the idea that I could skid logs to an area and then use the tractor loader to put logs onto the trailer. Bad idea. Now I'm thinking of a loader too.

/ Loader for forestry trailer #10  
A few years ago a friend of mine was building docks. He needed a small log loader to do demo work and pick up poles. He made his out of 3x3 tubing and the swing post was a set of thick wall pipes that slid to gether he used tapered roller bearing out of an old scraper rear end but smaller 18 wheeler wheel bearing would work on one. He even built the power rotation grapple. It would pick up 2500 pounds at 22.5 feet. One smaller could use some smaller components. Hes sold that barge but I may can find a few pics of it.