Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236
Why put it on the inside of the arm, wouldn't you want to put it on the outside so it covers the crack?

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236 #12  
I think I would use two fish plates, one on the inside, and one on the outside, sandwich the loader arm between the two fish plates. I would install the backside first, use it as a backer bar, make your weld repair, and grind the weld down flush with the base metal. Then install the outside fish plate. You may not have enough room to work on the backside to make the plug welds to connect the backside fish plate to the loader arm, I would think about drilling holes in the loader arm and plug weld the loader arm to the fish plate from the outside.
I got a hunch there is a design problem, and the metal is wore out. You really need to beef this area up.;)

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236 #13  
massey184ferguson said:
Why put it on the inside of the arm, wouldn't you want to put it on the outside so it covers the crack?

I think when he said 'inside' he ment inside not outside, but when you say inside, you mean the outside of the loader arm that is facing the engine.

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236 #14  
based on that picture the inside appears not cracked. if that is the case , i would not do any thing to the inside.after welding up the crack ,weld a plate to the outside and a small one on top and bottom.i would not use a channel or angle iron unless i turned it to the outside.

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236 #15  
It appears to have beem painted long after the previous poor repair cracked.
From what I can see it looks like there is very little good metal between the main crack and the tower. If it was me I'd think about cutting all of that away back to the start of the old repair and welding new metal from there to the tower. Have a shop with a press brake bend a new channel to match or weld it up from 3 pieces.

Weld and fish plate as recommended. Box in the back of the channel from the tower to well beyond the high stress area. Is that lower gusset still firmly attached or is it cracked as well?

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236
No the lower one is not cracked. I don't know If I'll cut out all the material, I'd prefer not to... :eek:
But I do realize that theres not alot to weld to on the right side of the crack- probably 2" at most
I will weld the fishplate to the tower on the right side of the crack... is that the best idea? Should I weld on any extra reinforcements after thats done?