Loader grapple

/ Loader grapple #1  

dpl096

Tractor
Kubota BX23
I have a 2003 BX23 TLB. I'm wanting to add a bolt on loader grapple for brush work and cleanup which would necessitate a 3rd function capability for the hydraulics. Ideally I would like to just convert the LA210 loader to a BobCat style quick attach and buy a dedicated grapple but I'm not having much success in finding on that fits my old tractor. I would like some suggestions on what folks think is the best way to do this.

/ Loader grapple #2  
It's not that it can't be done but a BX tractor is just too small for doing much brush work with a grapple. It depends on how much you have to do, how heavy and large your loads need to be, will this work keep going for years, etc. If you've got a lot to do and potential for other jobs marginally large for the BX, I think you are better off trading up. Up to a size where having an hydraulic remote is not an oddity, where 3rd functions are often put on the FEL, etc.

/ Loader grapple #3  
I have a 2003 BX23 TLB. I'm wanting to add a bolt on loader grapple for brush work and cleanup which would necessitate a 3rd function capability for the hydraulics. Ideally I would like to just convert the LA210 loader to a BobCat style quick attach and buy a dedicated grapple but I'm not having much success in finding on that fits my old tractor. I would like some suggestions on what folks think is the best way to do this.
Here is a good way: BX Universal Quick Attach(SSQA)

And the direct link: Universal Quick Attach Adapter For Subcompact Tractors

EA QA.jpg
EA QA rear view.jpg

/ Loader grapple #4  
A bx tractor with a grapple will do all the brush work and then some.

/ Loader grapple #5  
Look up Jery Dunn at mytractortools.com. He makes a quick attach system and has his own grapple. I have his quick attach systems on 2 BX2230. One is to remove the bucket for mowing and moving trailers. The other one for the same reasons plus I have a set of forks that fit Jery's system. Jon

/ Loader grapple #6  
Welcome to TBN DP. I have same tractor 2003 bx23 TLB. I haven't tried a grapple (or anything else requiring 3rd function ) yet. If you search here, you will find many posts on what folks have done to add the 3rd function. Lots of great advice, pictorials, etc. This is a gr8 Board for this kinda help.

/ Loader grapple #7  
I went through a similar research process for my bx25d about two years ago. I did talk to Jery Dunn, but in the end, for cost reasons, I went a different route. I did not convert to a quick attach for the loader, as it was costly, added too much weight (thus subtracting from what the loader could lift), and extended the pivot point farther forward ( also diminishing lifting ability). And I would have needed to convert or replace my existing bucket. Instead, I installed a 3rd function kit from Summit Hydraulics, and bolted on an Add a Grapple (their smallest).

I'm pretty happy with the result. I'm often picking up mixed loads of brush, logs, and organic debris, so the combination of a solid bucket with a claw works well for me. The key technique is to dump the bucket into vertical position, then use the grapple lid to gather the brush in. The only minor downside is that you can't see through the solid bucket.

Both installations were straightforward, they seem durable, and the grapple claw has plenty of crushing power. And since I don't have to change from bucket to grapple, I don't miss having a quick attach. If you will also need to change to a blade or snowblower, a quick attach would obviously be preferable.

/ Loader grapple #8  
I would like some suggestions on what folks think is the best way to do this.
He got some suggestions, now he needs to come back and read them:

Screenshot 2022-09-18 13.11.51.png