Loader operation

/ Loader operation #1  

Anonymous Poster

In the operators manual for my 1070 (with 440 loader), it states to have the machine in 4WD when using the loader. Could someone explain the reason for this.

/ Loader operation #2  
Russ, you don't have to have it in 4WD, but . .. If you don't have enough ballast on the back end of the tractor and you pick up a load in the bucket, you may find that even though the rear wheels are on the ground there isn't enough weight on them for you to go. There have been several times that I've picked up something in the bucket and just spun my rear tires, stopped and shifted to 4WD and went on. And of course, having front wheels pulling, too, will help you push harder into a pile or dirt and things like that. And having the front wheels pulling may help with the steering with a heavy load in the bucket. In other words, unless there's something I don't know about, there's no reason not to use the loader in 2WD except that you may not be happy with the performance./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ Loader operation
Thanks Bird. Your point about ballast certainly makes it clear now. My ballast box is just about ready, all I need is to mix up the concrete. I've been tempted to ask the wife how good she is at helping to mix concrete but I have a feeling that may cost me a spare key to the machine. Since I haven't gotten any callouses on my butt yet from extended machine use, perhaps I'll sweat this one out myself....

/ Loader operation #4  
Russ & Bird another reason to use 4wd when using the loader is for braking. If the backend is light & you are in 2wd you are not going to have very good braking. In 4wd the braking transfers to the front wheels. Chris

/ Loader operation #5  
I believe steering is easier in 4wd. I had a bucket of septic stone for ballasting my 3ph forks. I was on asphalt and remembered 4wd on pavement isn't good. I switched to 2wd and found I had to put a lot more arm into the steering.

I also think that using 4wd is easier on the loader. I probably instinctively go into a pile at greater speed if I think the wheels will slip. I believe that good technique is to ease into a pile, curl up the bucket and lift the boom--almost as a single motion. I gained some experience, and now don't bang into the pile much, and I do use 2wd for loose material sometimes.

/ Loader operation #6  
Local John Deere dealer told me the biggest problem he has with John Deere Loaders is the bolts breaking off in the loader attachments to the tractor. Guess if you hit the pile hard enough, you could probably break more than one at a time. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

All loader operation should be in 4WD (problem on concrete) to maintain adequate traction and braking.

/ Loader operation
Loader attachment bolts breaking off......ouch!! I'd hate to back out of a pile minus my loader. Kind of reminds of that old Kenny Rogers song ................You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me Loose Wheel (truckers version).......

/ Loader operation
Only the bolts break off, you can still drag it around by the hoses/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Loader operation #9  
Good song, Russ; hadn't heard that one before./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Loader operation #10  
The first month I had my tractor and was using the loader, my front tires only touched the ground about half the time anyway./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I have gotten a little better. I haven't put any ballast in my rear tires so the 4WD helps on the traction.