loader or dozer as a second farm machine?

/ loader or dozer as a second farm machine? #21  
A very large acriculated wheel loader with foam filled tires.

Definitely will move some dirt from A to B but in my (limited) experience they suck at making anything really level/smooth. I guess this is why construction companies have multiple types of equipment ;)

/ loader or dozer as a second farm machine? #22  
A good operator can do an acceptable grading job with the cutting edge of the bucket when in the dump position.

/ loader or dozer as a second farm machine? #23  
A good operator can do an acceptable grading job with the cutting edge of the bucket when in the dump position.

A fair operator can do an acceptable Smoothing job back dragging. To grade you really want to be able to do more than smooth. I'm not saying it's impossible; heck I saw 2 guys finish limerock on a job next to mine with a rubber tired hoe. It took them roughly 10 times the amount of time it should have with a grader. I'm just saying that a loader is not the right tool for mass grading.

/ loader or dozer as a second farm machine? #24  
My dad just sold his dozer and loader to our neighbor who has a grading business and cuts the hay on our farm...
Dad had these two machines for over 20 years...
An old D4D Cat and a nice 941B with a 4 n 1 bucket...
Everything said on this thread is pretty much spot on...
If you are not medicinally inclined I would recommend renting a machine...
You will always be working on them to some extent...
It is just a nature of the beast...
But...
My dad thoroughly enjoyed running those old buggers even with the service involved...
It was therapy...
And that was worth it to him...

/ loader or dozer as a second farm machine? #25  
In a single machine, I recommend a track loader (say a Cat 963 ?) with rippers and 4n1 bucket. I have a JD 555 track loader with 4n1 and have used it to clear 150 acres of mesquite with a home made root plow hanging off the blade. The 4n1 makes it about equivalent to a size smaller dozer but the ability to lift much higher makes it much more versatile.
Another good choice would be a D6 with 6-way blade and ripper. It will work well for digging and moving material short distances.

/ loader or dozer as a second farm machine? #26  
In a single machine, I recommend a track loader (say a Cat 963 ?) with rippers and 4n1 bucket. I have a JD 555 track loader with 4n1 and have used it to clear 150 acres of mesquite with a home made root plow hanging off the blade. The 4n1 makes it about equivalent to a size smaller dozer but the ability to lift much higher makes it much more versatile.
Another good choice would be a D6 with 6-way blade and ripper. It will work well for digging and moving material short distances.

I have a similar machine but much older (International TD9-92) and it is a good all-around machine. When it comes to leveling and grading though I find the narrow, fixed (no angle) blade to be a big limitation over a regular dozer. I was thinking his land was smaller brush but maybe he has larger trees and brush where the ability to make burn piles without (much) dirt would be an asset. He also already has a tractor that I assume has a loader.

/ loader or dozer as a second farm machine? #27  
I owned a D3 for 17 years and ran out of work to do with it... sorry to see it go.

That said the reason I bought is because renting would not have worked for me... always needed to time optimal soil conditions and time off from work and renting would have just added another variable.

Just picked up a 1982 350C Deere for my brothers 65 acres... quite a difference in going from a 16,500 machine to a 10,000 machine... yet, it still gets the job done.

Most I know will buy a dozer for a project and sell when done...

Every year I averaged $200 in parts spread over 17 years plus my labor... everything is bigger when working on a Dozer.

The nice thing about CAT is their service and support... always treated me like I had millions of dollars of their equipment and had anything I needed.

/ loader or dozer as a second farm machine? #28  
everything is bigger when working on a Dozer.

That's true, and when you get big equipment and then you need other equipment to work on your big equipment......