Loader suddenly s..l..o..w

/ Loader suddenly s..l..o..w #1  

Famah

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota L3700SU
Good Morning Forum:

Why do things like this only happen when you are borrowing? While waiting to buy my own tractor, a friend has kindly allowed me to use his Kubota L3400. While using it yesterday, the up and down movement of the loader suddenly slowed WAY down. The motion for controlling the bucket is unaffected. But going up or down is ridiculously slow.

I did not see any hydraulic fluid leaking anywhere, and nothing sounds weird. Just s-l-o-w. Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I going to end up buying this guy a tractor instead of myself? Help!

Nick

/ Loader suddenly s..l..o..w #2  
Uncouple and reconnect the hoses leading to the affected circuit. One of them may be partially disconnected.

/ Loader suddenly s..l..o..w #3  
also be sure hyd. oil is at the recommended level. Its also quite possible there is a hyd. filter in the system thats partially plugged.

/ Loader suddenly s..l..o..w #4  
Check the return Hydraulic line (rubber, 90 bend) by the brake peddle... it cracks and lets air into the system. How is the power steering and the 3ph?

Let us know what you find out, thanks...

/ Loader suddenly s..l..o..w
IT'S A...MIRACLE!

Good Morning Forum:

Well, my friend unexpectedly came by last evening to get his tractor. He started it up. I got my "hmmm...that's weird" face ready when...nothing. The loader worked normally. He had to move around some implements with it, so it was working for a good 20 minutes before he left.

Phew! I still don't know what he **** happened, or why it just returned to normal. Hydraulic gremlins?

I am still very grateful for your quick and insightful replies. I definitely slept better those several nights knowing it was nothing major. With any luck, the next time I post a question, it will be about my own new tractor. Take care all, and thanks again.

Nick

/ Loader suddenly s..l..o..w #6  
IT'S A...MIRACLE!

Good Morning Forum:

Well, my friend unexpectedly came by last evening to get his tractor. He started it up. I got my "hmmm...that's weird" face ready when...nothing. The loader worked normally. He had to move around some implements with it, so it was working for a good 20 minutes before he left.

Phew! I still don't know what he **** happened, or why it just returned to normal. Hydraulic gremlins?

I am still very grateful for your quick and insightful replies. I definitely slept better those several nights knowing it was nothing major. With any luck, the next time I post a question, it will be about my own new tractor. Take care all, and thanks again.

Nick

OK, I'm still with the speculation that there is an air leak into the hydraulics.
Having sat and settled for a while some, perhaps most, of the bubbles probably settled out.
Chances are it will come back and as a matter of "neighbor/friend ethics" you probably should mention it.

Last edited:
   / Loader suddenly s..l..o..w
Good advice that I shall follow. Thank you again.

/ Loader suddenly s..l..o..w #9  
I'm with reg, et al re: the air leak. I recently had this same problem with my L2800... silly problem and a simple fix.. I made temporary repairs to mine using Gorilla tape, which solved the problem while my dealer shipped me a new hose.

/ Loader suddenly s..l..o..w #10  
Thanks for the hydraulics information... I have an L3400 HST that suddenly started having power steering problems (Goes from smooth to randomly very difficult to turn). I checked out this thread because the intermittent problem sounded similar.

I have 190 hours and skipped the 150 hydraulics filter and fluid change on advice of an older farmer who said I should just change the engine oil every 50 hours and wait until there is a problem.

OK Houston... we have a problem... I will start looking for an air leak.. I checked the fluid level... it was a little low, so I topped it off, but still had the power steering problem... At low RPMs the loader up was jerking, but it was mostly smooth at PTO speed.

Was my farmer friend right about the service... I saw the filter clog comment... and wonder about just changing the hydraulic filters... or should I do the fluid at the same time...?

I drive through a lot of thorny thickets and constantly wonder about my hydraulic hoses getting a pin-hole... Fluid levels are very constant... but I will check on a loose hose connection too...

Any advice appreciated...