loader to counter weight calculator

/ loader to counter weight calculator #21  
I understand the ballast takes weight off the front axle but how much help is the ballast preventing a rollover?
It helps keep the back end on the ground so that the tractor can't pivot on the front axle.

/ loader to counter weight calculator #22  
We've all experienced that uneasy feeling when a rear wheel begins to lift and sometimes it doesn't take much to do it. I once hit an almost flat but soft muddy spot on one side while creeping along mowing and nearly went over.

So, does it really lower the center of gravity for a roll? I get that adding payload to the bucket moves the CG forward and rear ballast pushes it back rebalancing the machine especially front to back.

The axil and CG heights are set and any wheel ballast is symetrical on the axil adding equal weight above and below it. This makes me wonder if the CG really gets lower with wheel weights or does it just shift the CG at the same height within the stability triangle. If true side roll could be managed to only a limited extent with wheel weights because they would not lower the CG even though they can push it back toward the rear wheels giving the high side more effective weight that may help counter a roll.

A weight box on the other hand is a different story because it can be lowered to within a couple of inches of the ground and actually lower the CG and risk of roll over.

I could be all wrong about this which is why I am asking about whether the CG actually gets lower with wheel weights alone.

/ loader to counter weight calculator #23  
The axil and CG heights are set and any wheel ballast is symetrical on the axil adding equal weight above and below it. This makes me wonder if the CG really gets lower with wheel weights or does it just shift the CG at the same height within the stability triangle. If true side roll could be managed to only a limited extent with wheel weights because they would not lower the CG even though they can push it back toward the rear wheels giving the high side more effective weight that may help counter a roll.
The center of gravity of a tractor is not centered on the middle of the rear axle. It's above it. So, adding weight centered on the axle, which is already below the center of gravity, would, by definition, lower the center of gravity.

/ loader to counter weight calculator #25  
The center of gravity of a tractor is not centered on the middle of the rear axle. It's above it. So, adding weight centered on the axle, which is already below the center of gravity, would, by definition, lower the center of gravity.
Ah.. yes.. being above the rear axil and slightly forward it moves both back and down with the additional wheel weight.. Got it.. I had forgotten about the CG being above the axil. Thanks.

/ loader to counter weight calculator #26  
Experience. Got to get to know your tractor/loader with the 'seat of your pants' driving. Kinda like the early Golden Age pilots flying with minimal avionics [ gauges :) ] I have a 3045 New Holland Boomer. 45 h.p. engine, hydrostatic tranny, 260TL NH front loader. With a Universal Quick Attach plate on the loader about any size/weight/type/shape of a bucket can be used. I happen to have a very heavy, used, skid-steer bucket. The heavier the bucket the less the load. I can lift and carry a slightly rounded bucket of soil safely. Living in the Foothills there is hardly any level ground. Traversing on the side of a hill I keep a loaded bucket as close to the ground as possible to keep the Transverse Center of Gravity low and if a rear wheel begins to lift I only have a very short distance to go to ground the loader bucket removing the weight from the tractor and hopefully getting the rear wheel back down on the ground too. After several years of this experience I added maximum weights to the rear wheels. What a difference for safety. However, if the hydraulics has the strength to lift more weight utilizing the added balance weight on the rear wheels, there may be an increased risk of breaking the front axle overloading it with weight. To make a short answer even longer ...... experience ( and fear ) is the key to safe operations.

/ loader to counter weight calculator #27  
Here's your calculator:
loader lift weight x 2 = minimum tractor weight

minimum tractor weight x factor of safety = desired tractor weight

factor of safety > 1