loaned new trailer - broken axle

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #1  

rcrcomputing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti ck30
Ok, I did a no-no and loaned my trailer to a bussiness that I am great friends with. (Very good bussiness relationship).
Anyhow, It is an 18' dovetail, bran new. I'm new to trailering and haven't even tried to hook my kioti up on this thing yet. Well, it seems the guys in the shipping department overloaded the trailor and broke the axle. They've taken it to a trailer place for repairs (before I even knew it happened) and am shure will do everything they know to do to repair it.

Now then, It'd be nice to know what to check out when I get it back, and what to watch for when I load the kioti on it.. Hauling my 30hp tractor with the backhoe on it will be intimidating enough for me. Now I get to wonder about the trailer.. :)

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #2  
If your trailer was overloaded to the point of breaking an axle, I'm sure there is other damage like springs overstressed, frame bent and what ever else. I hope they are good with you for your kindness. I have a trailer I am working on and a good friend of mine already asked to borrow it ? That will not happen, if I can buy one, he can buy one or I will be more than happy to do for him with the trailer whatever he needs done
Thats just me
Jim:)

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #3  
Broke the axle? Hmmm, well there just aren't many moving parts on these things so I would have to assume that they snapped the spindle off the axle and the whole wheel fell off taking the brakes with it.

Be sure to find out how it was repaired. I would insist on a replacement axle assembly which is really quite cheap. You gave it to them new and it should be new when it comes back.

If the spindle was just welded back on then I would keep an eye out for signs that they welded it back crooked such as visible misalignment or a single hot tire. Find out which spindle snapped off. Also feel the bearings and hubs for heat to be sure that all four are the same.

I love trailering my CK30 even though it is on the heavy side. I would not want to lose an axle or even a tire with that much weight.

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #4  
What was the weight capacity of the trailer? 10,000#, 12,000#, more? Since I see you have a CK30 w/backhoe I presume its at least a 10,000# trailer.

What did they load on it and how did they load it?

If they drove a forklift onto the trailer then you might want to look under it for bent frame parts or bent/bowed supports under the decking.

Was the trailer a 'no-name' type or was it a brand name trailer? My view of the no-name brands (from personal experience) is that they are generally built for price and pretty crummy. I broke mine a couple times before I finally replaced it with a heavily built trailer.

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #5  
maybe take it back where you bought it and tell them what happened and ask if they would check it out for you. they sold it so they should know how it looks compared to others. or just ask the company who tore it up if they would like to buy it from you since it sounds like they need one anyway.
good luck man,
Dan

hale trailers in tulsa does a good job, so does a&n for trailer parts

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #6  
Take a serious close look at the tires. Overloaded trailers = overloaded tires. You don't want a trailer tire blowout on the first trip with your tractor on it.

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #7  
I agree with the others.
1) Entire axle should be replaced.
2) Tires may need replacing.
3) Frame needs to be checked for bends or cracked welds.
4) Springs may have fractures or even have broken leafs.
5) Get a warranty on the new axle if possible or at least a letter from the trailer company attesting no frame damage has occurred, that is assuming they have checked it.
6) Take it back where you bought it and ask them to check it after repairs have been done. The company the business took it to may be biased and just say its OK.

If you are really good friends with the business tell them since it was overloaded you are now leary of the trailers structural strength and ask them to replace your trailer with another new one of the same brand / model.

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #8  
It is amazing how many friends you have when you buy a trailer. I loaned my to 2 different friends and it was damaged each time. I no longer loan it out. I had a guy just stop by one day and ask if I ever loaned my trailer out and if I did could he use it. I had no clue who this guy was. I have to say he had ba@#s asking me to use it.

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #9  
This post has been bugging me since I first replied to it and I have one question, If the axle got broke from being overloaded, I'm sure the other is bent.
Loaning is not a good thing at all and I know you had the greatest intentions in mind. Sell him the trailer for what it would cost you for a new/same thing and say thanks and let him live with problems down the road with an overloaded trailer that he overloaded
Jim:)

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #10  
No good deed goes unpunished... seriously, hope your situation ends up positively for you..

tim