Loaning out stuff...

/ Loaning out stuff... #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
A friend (Don) and I were discussing a request he had received . Don's friend (BIll) wants to borrow his power washer for a week to do his annual deck maintenance. Don asked me what my policy was as far as loaning out stuff. So, here it is in 'list form'

Only loan out stuff that the borrower knows how to use
If at all possible, be there to supervise (or run the machine)
Never let it become a habit (or expected)

The last point is based on my personal philosophy...

Some folks need help
Some folks are just cheap

If someone wants to borrow one of my tools and they truly cannot afford their own or truly only need it once, then I will usually help out. Don's friend, Bill, makes a generous income and lives very well. He asks to borrow Don's power washer about twice per year. I'm thinking... Get your own /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Loaning out stuff... #2  
Friends don't loan stuff to friends if they want to remain friends (especially money!!)

/ Loaning out stuff... #3  
The thing about borrowing is.....if you don't have the money to replace it, you shouldn't borrow it. If you have the money to replace it, then you have the money to buy one, right? That's what I teach my kids.

/ Loaning out stuff... #4  
I ended up in a sticky situation loaning out my pressure-washer to my brother-in-law. Actually what happened is my wife offered it before asking me and then refused to retract the offer. It had a few years on it so I told her "Fine - but if it gets damaged I get a new one and no complaints."

Guess what - he borrowed it last fall for "a couple of days". He kept it for a month and returned it after the first hard frost. Yes, you guessed it. New pressure washer for me. The old one leaks like a sieve - seems to have several cracked fittings and is now only a low pressure washer.

My wife was a little red-faced about that one, but she doesn't offer my tools to her family anymore.

Some day I'll get around to diagnosing and fixing the old one and selling it. In the meantime I will enjoy the new one.

And I didn't raise my voice once or make any sarcastic comments during the whole episode.

Moral of the story - don't loan equipment unless you're looking for an excuse to replace it.

/ Loaning out stuff...
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That reminds me of my walk-behind tiller. I loaned it to a friend (unsupervised) about ten years ago. He never mentioned that he was going to use it to till up the bricks that the builder buried on his lot. My tiller has never been the same since. But, you know, it was my fault. I should'nt have loaned it out in the first place. Currently, I make a habit of not mentioning to co-workers about what I have in my barn.

/ Loaning out stuff...
Roy, my wife loaned out all my painting supplies to her sister about 15 years ago. (rollers, dropcloths, brushes,etc) I have long since given-up on getting these items back.

/ Loaning out stuff...
Cindi, great quote! Can I steal that one? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Loaning out stuff... #8  
I agree with Cindi's point 1000%!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif If you need it, go buy it or rent it. Nuf said!

/ Loaning out stuff... #9  
<font color="blue"> Friends don't loan stuff to friends if they want to remain friends (especially money!!) </font>

You are sooo correct! Ha ha ha ha.

Never do business with family and friends.
Never discuss money, religion or politics at the dinner table.
And most importantly,

never, but never, loan anyone your tractor!!!

/ Loaning out stuff... #10  
If there is someone that I'm close enough that I would consider borrowing a tool, then I go with it and use the tool myself.