Local dealership closed

/ Local dealership closed #1  

Foozle

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
I live in the Greenville, SC area and my local Kubota dealership closed. Apparently the dealership wasn't up to current Kubota standards in terms of their facility. The dealership was given the choice of upgrading their facility (probably in the neighborhood of $1 million upgrade), or losing their franchise. They didn't want to invest the money, so they closed. Ok, so I understand all that, but what I don't understand is why Kubota didn't have a plan to open a new dealership in the same area. It's been over 6 months now, and I have nowhere (nearby) to take my equipment to be repaired. The closest dealer is about 60 miles away. I don't have a trailer, so the transport cost to have them pick up and drop off is prohibitive.

I called Kubota to complain and ask why they didn't have a transition plan and I was basically stonewalled. They said they were sorry and would lodge my complaint. Do I have any recourse? I guess not, but it is frustrating. I currently own a L5740 Kubota tractor, Z421 Kubota mower and a few other smaller Kubota equipment. I'm tempted to just sell everything off (at a loss I'm sure) and go John Deere. We have a local Deere dealership that likely isn't going anywhere soon.

Thoughts on this? Thanks!

/ Local dealership closed #2  
What reason do you NEED a dealer that's so close? It's not like you're making daily trips there for service (right?). Keep your Kubota equipment, they are fairly reliable. You should be able to manage without a dealer immediately close to you, parts are readily available online, and if something happens that you can't handle yourself, you still have the dealer that you can drive to albeit a little distance away

/ Local dealership closed #3  
I live in the Greenville, SC area and my local Kubota dealership closed. Apparently the dealership wasn't up to current Kubota standards in terms of their facility. The dealership was given the choice of upgrading their facility (probably in the neighborhood of $1 million upgrade), or losing their franchise. They didn't want to invest the money, so they closed. Ok, so I understand all that, but what I don't understand is why Kubota didn't have a plan to open a new dealership in the same area. It's been over 6 months now, and I have nowhere (nearby) to take my equipment to be repaired. The closest dealer is about 60 miles away. I don't have a trailer, so the transport cost to have them pick up and drop off is prohibitive.

I called Kubota to complain and ask why they didn't have a transition plan and I was basically stonewalled. They said they were sorry and would lodge my complaint. Do I have any recourse? I guess not, but it is frustrating. I currently own a L5740 Kubota tractor, Z421 Kubota mower and a few other smaller Kubota equipment. I'm tempted to just sell everything off (at a loss I'm sure) and go John Deere. We have a local Deere dealership that likely isn't going anywhere soon.

Buying a trailer would be far, far cheaper than trading.

/ Local dealership closed #4  
I haven’t had any issues I have been able to fix with a multi-meter and connected cleaner (one incident). Other than that routine maintenance and I order from Messecks. My nearest dealer is about an hour and a half from me on a good day and I’ve actually never been in their shop. If something happens I can’t fix then yeah, gonna be some gas money towing it up there but probably nothing compared to that repair bill:ashamed:

/ Local dealership closed #5  

Ever thought about just buying a trailer?
A trailer is likely the best equipment investment that there is.
It will retain a significant percentage of it's original value for years.

You are in an area where new trailers are relatively cheap.

You might try Kaufmann Trailers in Lexington, NC. They have a very good reputation, for both price and quality.

I have a 14K - 20' Equipment trailer (not Kaufmann) that I would not want to be without.

/ Local dealership closed #6  
A trailer would be way cheaper than the loss in depreciation you'd experience. Nearly every dealer would ship filters, small parts.

/ Local dealership closed #7  
I've got a few selections of Kubota dealers within 20 miles. More if I choose a 50 mile radius. So I am never without parts and service. I do have a truck and trailer though... so I can theoretically pick and choose if I wanted to bring my machine to one.

However, technically speaking, you don't have to bring your machine to a Kubota dealer for maintenance and service. You can take it to that John Deere dealer, and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to work on it. Only downside, it may get held up longer because they need to order parts, versus having them in stock or in their "dealer network". It's no different than taking your Ford car to a GM dealer for service.

What often happens is if they show good work on your existing machine, they figure it likely you'll eventually upgrade to one of theirs. Which is good faith marketing.

Another trend that is popping up around my area is on-site equipment service, where a small business doesn't have a shop, they do everything out of a service truck. There is one in my area that charges the same amount as if you were to bring it to the dealer for say oil changes, fluid exchanges, and other maintenance items. Originally they were for large pieces of equipment stuck in fields or weren't practical to be placed on a trailer. Now they do sub compacts, and more.

The only time I am desperate for dealer service is when it's under warranty OR it's something I know I can't tackle.

All my parts I order online... rarely do I go local for parts -- unless it's some very weird parts -- or I need their expertise on cross referencing...

/ Local dealership closed #8  
I had my Kubota for 14 years and was 60 miles from the dealer. I decided not to get a trailer and just pay the EXTRA $75 tacked on service call for a mechanic to come to my place. He came out twice. I did go to the dealer about 10 times for parts, mostly filters and fluids to to take in a parts in for repair like a hydraulic cylinder that could be easily removed. It worked out just fine. Don't panic or feel stranded check to see if they have traveling mechanics.

/ Local dealership closed #9  
I understand the impulse to jump to JD, but if you do be very sure you can count on the dealer sticking around. I like the trailer idea...

30 years ago when I had a Green Thing parts and some service were (long) walking distance. JD yanked their franchise. OK, a 20-mile drive to a quality dealer... I can handle that. JD yanked their franchise. Ouch. 90-mile drive to a decent dealer, and at least it's near the fishing cabin, so I can handle that. You guessed it... JD yanked _their_ franchise. At that point it was a ferry ride and an hour drive to a big dealer. I have no idea if they still have their franchise - did that once, never again.

Went orange. A bit of a pain (the local dealer leaves something to be desired..) but there are two quality dealers worth the drive.

TLDR: based on history, you can't count on JD dealers sticking around...

my $.02,
Z.

/ Local dealership closed #10  
There's an opportunity right there. Why don't YOU open a Kubota Delaership?

I'm guessing that there is no such thing as a corporate run store. They are probably all privately owned, so that is totally beyond the control of Kubota. I'm sure they Bully their dealers, (maybe why they closed) but certainly can't make someone open a location.