Local man struck by lightning

/ Local man struck by lightning #21  
   / Local man struck by lightning #22  
   / Local man struck by lightning #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ok lets put it this way. A 220 power cord has maybe 1/8" rubber or plastic and you can pick it up with your hand with your foot in water. Now if air is so good of an insulator would you put your finger 1/8" from a raw 220 wire what about 440?. I am not saying they the tire on a car is what saves you just saying air in not the best insulator that is all. )</font>

Ok.. lets put it this way.. disassemble the 220 outlet on your range or dryer.. check out how close the oposing contacts are... less than 1/4 int he 4 way plugs. Pull an standard 120 electric socket apart.. same deal.

And yes.. dry air is a great insulator. That's the whole concept behind a spark gap.

If you want to test spark gaps and free air arcing.. buy an adjustable spark gap ( they are available ).. and hook it up between the 'hots' on a 220 line with a 1amp fast acting fuse inline with the gap as well. unpower the circuit and adjust the gap.. power it and see if it pops the fuse. keep repaeting this untill it does. Somewhere between the current gap and the last gap will be the free air distance the spark jumped.

Look at an igniton system for a car.. 20KV on the low end ones.. like old 6v tractors with points.. 3/16 is a BIG stretch for jumping an air gap.. 1/4 is probably out of the question.. and thats high KV.. not 110/220/440

Soundguy

/ Local man struck by lightning #25  
Hi All,

It's been a long time since I have been on here reading posts, but I was informed about this by JDGreen-227.

It's all a voltage thing, V=IxR, it really doesn't matter what the resistance is, if you have enough voltage you can overcome it. Lightning is in the millions of volts so most insulators become conductors at that voltage.

I guess the moral of this story is don't play outside during a lightning storm /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (Whisch I think I have done a time or two)

Ray

/ Local man struck by lightning #26  
heavy rubber gloves!!!!witha heavy Leather protector /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a ;pair of 40 kv's behind the seat in my truck at all times and yes they r in their protective bag!!!

one thing to say ...they say lightning doesnt' strike twice so presumably he's all set /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

a myth 2 begin with !! bet he'll git out of the field quick nxt time!!!!..I have a pic i'll scan 4 u guys of a 180' transmission tower being hit 1/2 mile from where we were working in huntsville al.
ghostly white and scary too!!! looked like a skeleton!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Local man struck by lightning #27  
Lightning strikes aren't *well* understood, but getting better.

Every item, tree, person, etc generates a "leader" which if viewed via photography shows up like a small electrical string of voltage extending upwards from the object to the sky just before and during lightning activity.

The better grounded and the closer to the source (usually clouds, but not always straight up), usually the longer and thicker the leader.

Common theory is that the first leader to reach close enough to the source (down reaching voltage- lightning) draws the lightning to the object.

As such, the 'tires protect you' discussion isn't as simple as providing a gap which the voltage will easily cross (I think it is something like 50kv to jump one inch of air, amps don't matter). It is also related to the leader produced, and how it compares to those produced by other objects.

That's why higher trees, lightning rods, etc usually get hit instead of a person. Also explains why open fields are a bad idea- you are on a tractor maybe 3 or 4 feet higher than the ground, insulated from the ground, but the grass is probably touching other spots on the tractor.

Remember that a static charge travels (resides) on the outside of an object, not through it. That is why rubber is an insulator, but a good conductor of static. (Ever rubbed a balloon in your hair and stuck it to a wall?)

It is also theorized that static charge is a major source of leaders, since there obviously isn't any direct connection between the object and the sky, to make standard voltage.

Yes, for purists, electrical voltage and static electricity are essentially the same, but act very differently. Sort of like different states of the same material. Solid water (ice) moves differently than liquid water, which flows quite nicely. Not the same thing, but helps one visualize the difference.

Anyway, getting pretty deep into this. Didn't intend to make this a course on electrical theory, just wanted people the remember that even though you think you are protected, when in an open field, your leader is competing with BLADES OF GRASS. Which do you think will win?

This also explains why being in a car is a GOOD IDEA in a storm. Usually no blades of grass, etc rubbing against metal of car generating static and the water usually carries the static charges away from the car, so usually not big leaders generated. The common "rubber tires of a car protect you from lightning" advice statistically holds true, but not for the reason most people think.

Oh yeah, sources of lightning aren't all straight up. It may "jump" from sky to top of silo to barn roof to metal sheet wall to tractor next to it to you!

Don't trust it. Sometime look up "blue sky lightning", which occurs without any storm clouds.

For more info about static and just cool stuff, check out "Kelvin's Thunderstorm" on this page. Most of the links are broken now, but scroll down to the diagrams.

http://www.rdrop.com/~cary/html/high_voltage.html

Stay dry, don't die /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-JC

/ Local man struck by lightning #28  
As someone has already mentioned : The metal skin of the car acts as a farady cage. Tires have nothing to do with it.

Egon

/ Local man struck by lightning
DiskDoctr:

Well written post on your part, I did some research on lightning yesterday and your information is very accurate.

One article stated that the current strength of a lightning strike when it meets the ground is between 10,000 and 200,000 amps, and the lightning flash that we see heats the air to 50,000 degrees.

Back around 1994 I was mowing around our house with my JD 318 and I could see lightning in the distance, but I stupidly kept on mowing until the flashes got within a half mile. And 30 seconds after I parked my tractor in the barn and ran into the house, a huge bolt hit the 75 foot high walnut tree in our front yard...about 35 feet from my wife and I. The thunderclap was so loud I thought the windows were going to shatter /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

To this day I wonder what my reaction would have been if I had been a little slower crossing the backyard and seen the bolt hit the tree. Stay on my tractor when I see lightning?

NEVER AGAIN.

/ Local man struck by lightning #30  
WELCOME TO OUR HOME !!!!!!! DISCO..DOC!!!!!..I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO DO ALL THE HYER THEATRICS BUT U DID A MARVELOUS JOB AND I THANK U AS A THERMO-DYNAMICS MAJOT\R AND A LINEMAN TO BOOT !!! U DID A MARVELOUS JOB!!! AND SINCERELY U STICK ROUND AS WE REALLY DO HAV E A LOT OF INTELLECT AND TRUE HEART HERE!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifJIST GIVE US TBNER'S A LIDDLE PATIENCE!!!!..!!!WE JIST LID\KE TO HAVE FUN IF'N U NO WUT I MEAN!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TODD HALL from liddl ol" Maine!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif