Locating short in power line to well

/ Locating short in power line to well #11  
I would think that the easiest way would be to cut the wire just outside the pad, put in an underground splice and go into conduit the rest of the way to the well.

Aaron Z

/ Locating short in power line to well #12  
Maybe the wire under the concrete is good and you could just start new wire from there.

/ Locating short in power line to well #13  
I would have never wasted my time I would have a new trench dug by now and ready to lay new wire. Conduit is cheap i would put it in conduit.

I agree 100%.

/ Locating short in power line to well #14  
An underground splice from the cable under your slab into conduit is a bad idea. Avoid splices with no access. Think conduit all the way from the house to the well. As your current saga illustrates, if this run was installed in conduit the first time you would be saving both aggravation and money right now. Think about the future.

/ Locating short in power line to well #15  
The cable from under the pad could be dug out farther and allow an above ground splice.:)

If an underground splice is required using a box and sealant used in explosive environments should work. :confused:

There should be proper underground wire splice kits available??:confused:

/ Locating short in power line to well #16  
We are now seeing alittle more about the layout of your location. Could you go around the concrete pad which I think is at the side of the house.So if you come out the back wall of the house swoop around the pads and head for the well. The wire gauge # 10 that you talked should handle the slight extra distance. When the code talks about burial depth that is the minimum ground cover. The code does really care if you bury cable at 4'. If you bury it deeper then you do not have to worry when in a couple of years from now you want to plant a tree ball.
Craig Clayton

/ Locating short in power line to well #17  
I agree with most of posters here- stop trying to save old wire and replace with new. it will hurt you now in wallet, but long term its much cheaper in terms of time wasted trying to fix. I do see 2 options here. run new line from barn like you said, as long you can pull adquet amps from barn, or run new line directly to garage and run up and into rafters to house and down to where your breaker box.

/ Locating short in power line to well #18  
We are now seeing alittle more about the layout of your location. Could you go around the concrete pad which I think is at the side of the house.So if you come out the back wall of the house swoop around the pads and head for the well. The wire gauge # 10 that you talked should handle the slight extra distance. When the code talks about burial depth that is the minimum ground cover. The code does really care if you bury cable at 4'. If you bury it deeper then you do not have to worry when in a couple of years from now you want to plant a tree ball.
Craig Clayton

I agree, just go around the slab if you have the property to do it. You get a longer run but running conduit with a wire is you best solution. Two feet is the deepest you need to bury it. Take photos with a digital camera of the line before you cover it up and save it to a disk for the future if you need it. A wire that breaks down in one spot will fail elsewhere. Think back, did do anything that might have caused the original problem? The TDR system will detect lines at 4 feet if I remember.

The resistance of #10 copper wire is .000999 ohms per inch (.011988ohms per foot). If you have 2.8 ohms to a direct short at the one end you should be approx. 116-3/4 feet out. Here's the problem, you can see that it's longer than your run, so here's how to do it.
Get your digital meter, put it on ohms and touch the leads together. You should get a very low reading but not zero becuase you're measuring the resitance in the leads and not using the 4 wire method (which you can't). Remember this reading, now take your reading over the line from both ends and subtract the meter lead error from each one. I think you said it was 3.2 and 2.8. do it again and measure EACH end with the method I described above this will give you the most accurate reading.
What you want is a ratio, you won't get a location purely from the resistance because it is most likely not a direct short. What is likely is that the short is equal when you measure from both ends. Now measure, as best you can, the total distance manually with a tape for the total run. and do this math, (let's say it's 3.2 and 2.8 and the total distance is 90 feet) 2.8x + 3.32x = total distance. x= 90 / 2.8 +3.2. x=15. 15 x 2.8 = 42 feet; 15 x 3.2 = 48 feet. That's you distance from each end and you should be within, I'd say, 3 or 4 feet, you can compare this to the reading the guy took.

good luck,
Rob

Last edited:
   / Locating short in power line to well #19  
Wheatstone bridge

National High Magnetic Field Laboratory - Wheatstone Bridge Tutorial

With the 4th resistor being your wire, you can determine extremely accurately how far away the short is.

However, there are times when a wire will not show a short without a load, but when load is applied, the wire fails. Using a megger to test the insulation can show if the insulation is breaking down.

With all that said, I would run new wires in conduit and forget about it.

/ Locating short in power line to well #20  
Why all the concentration on the wire? How about the pump?, water level, has anyone check the entire system?

I do agree with others replace the wire and put in in some PVC conduit.
Varmits love to chew through cable. If you do bury the cable direct again make sure the wires have a METAL jacket, varmits hate the taste of metal.